Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French bank/UK bank

French bank/UK bank

Old May 20th 2017, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default French bank/UK bank

We found this very interesting this week. I pass it on as a thought.

Grandpabunz lost his wallet - probably stolen last weekend. He reported it to the local gendarmerie who were helpful' He immediately contacted both French and UK banks and credit cards, On Tuesday he received new card from UK bank and on Wednesday and Thursday replacement UK credit cards. This morning he went into our French bank only to be told that he should have followed up the telephone call with a written request including police receipt and his bank card would take another week and he would have to pick it up from the branch and sign for it.
Old May 20th 2017, 2:17 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French bank/UK bank

Originally Posted by grannybunz

Grandpabunz lost his wallet - probably stolen last weekend. He reported it to the local gendarmerie who were helpful' He immediately contacted both French and UK banks and credit cards, On Tuesday he received new card from UK bank and on Wednesday and Thursday replacement UK credit cards. This morning he went into our French bank only to be told that he should have followed up the telephone call with a written request including police receipt and his bank card would take another week and he would have to pick it up from the branch and sign for it.
La Douce France ...
Old May 20th 2017, 3:08 pm
Cad
Forum Regular

Cad is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a totally different experience with our bank here last year.
They phoned us up and asked if I was in new York as my card had been used there,turned out that it had been cloned when a hotels PCs went down.
They immediately cancelled said card and another was received in a couple of days.reimbursing the small sum lost.
Old May 21st 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Update, to think about.

At the boulangerie today the wallet was handed back, it was found a week ago. The lady there, who we know well, had jus kept it until we next came in!!!! Not taken it to the Marie nor rung us. To me it defies belief - but I suppose my dear husband might have thought to enquire there.

I shall chain it to his neck in future.
Old May 21st 2017, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

One could also speculate about the relative chances of a lost wallet being returned in France and the UK. (I'm not grinding any axe here - I once lost a purse in an Intermarché car park,must have because it vanished between me paying for petrol at their service station and reaching checkout after shopping in the store, and it was never returned.)
Old May 22nd 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting thread. It seems to be the season for loosing things!
On Sat whilst walking the dog, I found a bus-pass with the name and photo of a young lad. As the name or the photo didn't ring any bells (apart from our direct neighbours we know very few in our village), later in the day we looked through white pages and found the owner's address. I gave them a call, and the lad's mother was delighted that I'd found the pass - she'd been extremely concerned on how her son would get to school on Monday, and was already dreading making out all the requested paperwork to apply for another pass. That same evening whilst out with the dog again, I hand- delivered the pass, to the contentment of all concerned. Dyb, dyb, dob.
Old May 22nd 2017, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well done you.

A neighbour who works in the marie heard about the return of the wallet and I fear the baker's wife may well be in trouble for not handing it in on Monday. We wouldn't want that but do feel that even though she is a very nice and helpful lady she did fall short in this case.

Trouble is we are Liste rouge telephone wise.
Old May 22nd 2017, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Well done you.

A neighbour who works in the marie heard about the return of the wallet and I fear the baker's wife may well be in trouble for not handing it in on Monday. We wouldn't want that but do feel that even though she is a very nice and helpful lady she did fall short in this case.

Trouble is we are Liste rouge telephone wise.
We are too, and I think Mme TP has always longed for a call from a weirdo.....
Old May 22nd 2017, 2:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

This morning he went into our French bank only to be told that he should have followed up the telephone call with a written request including police receipt and his bank card would take another week and he would have to pick it up from the branch and sign for it.
You know, this is a perfect example of what really peed me off about France.

Your OH called his french bank to cancel his cards. Why, for the love of god, did they not tell him what to do next when he did that?

I learned to deliberately ask "Is that it, that's all I have to do? Nothing else to do? You're sure? And your name please?".
Old May 22nd 2017, 5:58 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
An interesting thread. It seems to be the season for loosing things!
On Sat whilst walking the dog, I found a bus-pass with the name and photo of a young lad. As the name or the photo didn't ring any bells (apart from our direct neighbours we know very few in our village), later in the day we looked through white pages and found the owner's address. I gave them a call, and the lad's mother was delighted that I'd found the pass - she'd been extremely concerned on how her son would get to school on Monday, and was already dreading making out all the requested paperwork to apply for another pass. That same evening whilst out with the dog again, I hand- delivered the pass, to the contentment of all concerned. Dyb, dyb, dob.
Yes same bus driver everyday for ten years but the poor lad still has to get the pass out overtime he steps on the bus yet all the children still in pre college don't have too.

Our kids bus driver will always rant on about how children should be at the bus stop 5 minutes early even though she can't depart until the allotted time, no one else in France is ever 5 minutes early why force kids to do it.
Old May 22nd 2017, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah but we now have an added complication. He was told by the gendarmerie. last Thursday that he should think about reporting the loss of his passport to the UK aurthorities because without it he wouldnt be able to renew his permit, carte Vitale etc etc.
To do this he went on line BUT before you can download the form you have to pay the fee which he did. He didn't apply immediately because he had to get a signature on his photgraph.

When wallet turned up he thought fine he would just cancel the passpot bit and get a refund. Guess what. You can't get a refund !

If we thought our French bank a was out of order, nothing compared to the passport office. Talk about a rip off!

WE don't hate French stupid beaurocracy we hate ALL beaurocracy.
Old May 22nd 2017, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macron will put a stop to all that nonsense.........
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Tut tut granny: it's bureaucracy.
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry I'm dyslexic in two languages three if you count geordie and have very poor sight in both eyes so I often do snarly up wordings!
Old May 24th 2017, 4:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French bank/UK ban

Sorry I'm dyslexic in two languages three if you count geordie and have very poor sight in both eyes so I often do snarly up wordings!
Divn't fash yersel pet..