Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

France - dans la merde?

France - dans la merde?

Old Sep 1st 2005, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough
Default France - dans la merde?

Here's a comment piece in "The Times" today, claiming that that France is in pretty deep trouble: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...758615,00.html

Now I can see how this is exactly the sort of line that would go down well with the owners of the paper, and the more Francophobic of its readers. I haven't been to France for a couple of years, unfortunately, so haven't got a feel for current conditions. When I was last there, I thought the quality of life was excellent.

What do you in there in France think?

P.S. I have now found another article in that paper published on the same day, this time critiquing France's dirigiste economic/industrial policies: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...9382_1,00.html . Just a coincidence, or more than that?

Last edited by Storini; Sep 1st 2005 at 9:56 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future
Default Re: France - dans la merde?

Originally Posted by Storini
Here's a comment piece in "The Times" today, claiming that that France is in pretty deep trouble: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...758615,00.html

Now I can see how this is exactly the sort of line that would go down well with the owners of the paper, and the more Francophobic of its readers. I haven't been to France for a couple of years, unfortunately, so haven't got a feel for current conditions. When I was last there, I thought the quality of life was excellent.

What do you in there in France think?

P.S. I have now found another article in that paper published on the same day, this time critiquing France's dirigiste economic/industrial policies: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...9382_1,00.html . Just a coincidence, or more than that?

prices gone UP ABOUT 300% so i guess the euro has shafted us
Old Sep 4th 2005, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

bobthebuilder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourgogne
prices gone UP ABOUT 300% so i guess the euro has shafted us
300% Jesus! Where is that?????? Somebody's making a killing.

Are prices still rising? :scared:

We are looking at France but may have to look elsewhere thanks to the euro.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Michael E will become famous soon enough

I simply do not recognise the France you seem to refer to.

I find the cost of living here is lower than the UK and far better. The social security system - the medical system are a class above that of the UK. This is a very good country to live in but like anywhere you have to pay something in to get something out - the social security payments are around £1100 a year for a couple and you have to pay a proportion of the charges - 25 -30% yourself or have insurance to cover that.... the charges are lower than UK equivalents....

Yes of course prices have gone up in line with European inflation. None the less property is still wildly less expensive here than its UK equivalent. If you come out and think you can turn a profit running a Gite in some out of the way village then you will find it as disapointing as trying to run one in the middle of dartmore or parts of wales or the highlands. Very difficult to make a living from this sort of activity. If you think you will turn a profit doing up some out of the way farm house the same thing applies - The French want to live in/near the town or city. The French are very sophisticated and whilst they might buy a 2nd home in the country - for fun - they are not going to live out in the sticks - most UK people who move here and buy 'in the sticks' move to a town after a few years - thats why there are so many 'country' houses on the market at knock down prices.......
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michael E
I simply do not recognise the France you seem to refer to.

I find the cost of living here is lower than the UK and far better. The social security system - the medical system are a class above that of the UK. This is a very good country to live in but like anywhere you have to pay something in to get something out - the social security payments are around £1100 a year for a couple and you have to pay a proportion of the charges - 25 -30% yourself or have insurance to cover that.... the charges are lower than UK equivalents....

Yes of course prices have gone up in line with European inflation. None the less property is still wildly less expensive here than its UK equivalent. If you come out and think you can turn a profit running a Gite in some out of the way village then you will find it as disapointing as trying to run one in the middle of dartmore or parts of wales or the highlands. Very difficult to make a living from this sort of activity. If you think you will turn a profit doing up some out of the way farm house the same thing applies - The French want to live in/near the town or city. The French are very sophisticated and whilst they might buy a 2nd home in the country - for fun - they are not going to live out in the sticks - most UK people who move here and buy 'in the sticks' move to a town after a few years - thats why there are so many 'country' houses on the market at knock down prices.......
Michael, you obviously don't have to live in France with a regular wage to think that nothing is wrong.
Yes prices might have gone up like in other countries in Europe but our wages are still basically the same as they were years ago.
Taxes are stiffling, every year the government thinks up some new measures to lower our benefits and increase our taxes or create new ones.
Most people I know are struggling every month with very little hope for the future, they have to rent because it's become impossible to buy a house and when they retire not only they will still have to rent but are not sure what's going to happen to their pension.
I'm telling you all that and mind you this is my country!!
I see on your web site that you base yourself in La Rochelle, well maybe you should look at the property market there: prices are extremely high and they are still high in remote places there, my friend just sold a tiny house with no land right on the road in the middle of nowhere 40 mins from the first supermarket within a week for 150000 euros, she had paid 50000 euros for it 3 years ago but wages didn't change at all!!
Fact is France is a beautiful country but most people can't afford to enjoy it anymore
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Michael E will become famous soon enough

Prisicila hi,

interesting that two residents have such different perspectives - I could not afford to go back to the UK - when I am back there I spend far more on weekly shopping and end up with much less interesting food - I have some property in the UK and the 'council tax' is certainly higher pro rata and the cost of going out - cinema etc higher... Added to that the social security system - the medical side of it is infinitely superior and if you added the cost of UK national insurance payments then the cost is not so very different.

I am very aware of property prices - for various reasons had several 'valuations' on my La Rochelle house and looked to move back to the UK or another part of France. Looked at property in similar situations in the UK and the prices were still double in the UK and for less.... Of course prices have gone up in France - as most of Europe - of course property has gone up as in most of Europe - but compare French standard of living and prices with the UK and you will find the France offers a much higher standard of living, much lower property prices.

That has been my experience spending some time in the UK earlier this year.

regards

Michael
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

I agree about the prices and the medical system, but what about wages?
My partner makes an average of 270 euros a week and he's not on the minimum wage which is closer to 200 euros!
Some of my friends with college degrees and years of experience only get about 330 euros a week, does that compare with UK wages?

Don't get me wrong, I love France, I wouldn't give up 300 days of sunshine a year to go to the UK but we are just finding it harder and harder to make ends meet and today there's lots of strikes all over the country because I'm not the only one thinking like that.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 3:50 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by priscilia
I agree about the prices and the medical system, but what about wages?
My partner makes an average of 270 euros a week and he's not on the minimum wage which is closer to 200 euros!
Some of my friends with college degrees and years of experience only get about 330 euros a week, does that compare with UK wages?

Don't get me wrong, I love France, I wouldn't give up 300 days of sunshine a year to go to the UK but we are just finding it harder and harder to make ends meet and today there's lots of strikes all over the country because I'm not the only one thinking like that.
No disrespect but France has been subjected to strikes from one trade union or another for decades, it not a recent thing.

I would like to know though if you think that the EU working time directive is somewhat partly responsible for the stagnant wages in France? I'm not fully conversant with this particular directive but i understand it to cap the amount of hours a worker may physically work in a given week. Therefore limiting any overtime payments and therefore affecting his/her over all income.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

I have to agree that france is like 200% better than the UK

however I have noted where I live is now full of swiss and people from paris. wht paris??? they cant afford ANYTHING near to the city (this is a 5hr drive)

people here have nothing really, they earn little they dont expect more. Yet a supermarket worker they MIGHT be able to afford a small barn with no land and then no money to make it a house???? how is that for normal working people in the deep countryside?

prices here have been muted to break soon due to inflated costs. Stupid levels.

buy land 10,000€
build house 200,000€

sell house 750,000€

how can anyone keep up with this?

stikes? why not!!!!???? england is weak after years of 'conditional contracts' france can at least say NO! give them that they reamin proud not some softy 'welcome here by the 100's of 1000's of non working no hope immigrats' eh?

I find the french a little cowardly and lazy but they wont be trodden on. and they want a future that some swiss or english does not by buying from under them.

they dont object to other countries they do object to mass buy -ups for some holiday retreat when they cant afford a home of their own!

i will end my rant with a NOTED, and by everyone, that simple supermarket weekly shopping has inflated this last 5 months at least 60% add to that fuel and gaz etc. the fact france earns way less than the UK and pays higher taxes . i end my rant