Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

France - Carte de sejour rules

France - Carte de sejour rules

Old Jun 14th 2003, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

parisencore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default France - Carte de sejour rules

I am an American with Irish citizenship. (i.e. EU citizenship.) I've been living in Paris for 2 months now. I've read that I need to apply for my carte de sejour within 3 months of entering the country. I have not done so yet. (I don't know if it matters, but arrived from London and my passport was not stamped.)

Some people have told me that I don't need to apply for the carte de sejour until I have an offer of employment in hand. I anticipate that I should have a job by the 3 1/2 month mark. But I am concerned that if I wait this long, I may be at risk of getting in some sort of trouble.

Also, my husband is not an EU citizen. He telecommutes to a job in the states. He doesn't have legal status either and he's not sure what he should do.

Does anyone know what the rules are? Or can anyone give us some advice about where to go for help?

Thanks!
Old Jun 19th 2003, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Jan11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: France - Carte de sejour rules

Hello,

in fact, as a person who wants to stay longer than three months, you have to apply for a carte de séjour at the Préfecture or Sous-Préfecture de ton arrondissement or the town you re living. You will habe to bring a bunch of different documents, as a birth certificate, passport, last invoices of telephone fixe or EDF etc. m four passport photos etc. Everything original and copy and do not think they make the copies for you... etc. It took me three visits and and some hours waiting time to "pass the challenge", just be prepared. You also have to explain how you finance your stay, but I cannot give you details about that. However, you do not have enough time left, but anyway nor reason to wait...

In case, you need some extra info, do not hesitate contacting me. Enjoy Paris and keep smiling, there are too few of them
Old Jun 26th 2003, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

mpprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant future
Default Re: France - Carte de sejour rules

Hi

The carte de sejour is the subject of various myths !

It is not mentioned in EU regulations, and I know many people who've stayed years in France without having one.

However, it does make things easier because you can use it in place of the French identity card whenever "brushing" with bureaucracy.

Also, it doesn't seem to be taken too importantly by the French administration. I applied for mine after 4 months, got a certificate saying I'd applied, then had to wait a further 8 months for another document (furnished by French consul LA). So It was over 1 year before I got it. No one was concerned by this.

Shortly after it was issued, I started getting French tax returns ................... coincidence ?

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Originally posted by parisencore
I am an American with Irish citizenship. (i.e. EU citizenship.) I've been living in Paris for 2 months now. I've read that I need to apply for my carte de sejour within 3 months of entering the country. I have not done so yet. (I don't know if it matters, but arrived from London and my passport was not stamped.)

Some people have told me that I don't need to apply for the carte de sejour until I have an offer of employment in hand. I anticipate that I should have a job by the 3 1/2 month mark. But I am concerned that if I wait this long, I may be at risk of getting in some sort of trouble.

Also, my husband is not an EU citizen. He telecommutes to a job in the states. He doesn't have legal status either and he's not sure what he should do.

Does anyone know what the rules are? Or can anyone give us some advice about where to go for help?

Thanks!

Last edited by mpprh; Jun 26th 2003 at 11:36 am.