Old Aug 13th 2017, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Flaneur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fr/It Border

Hello
Can anyone recommend an affordable village (buying) on the Fr/It border
Old Aug 13th 2017, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fr/It Border

Affordable is relative... You're looking at Rhöne-Alpes and Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur on the French side and the Aosta valley and surrounding regions on the Italian side. Very nice but not one of the cheaper parts of France, being prime ski territory and near the Riviera. It's a bit millionaire's playground or that's my impression from visiting and working a season in Aosta, but I've never lived there.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Flaneur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Affordable is relative... You're looking at Rhöne-Alpes and Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur on the French side and the Aosta valley and surrounding regions on the Italian side. Very nice but not one of the cheaper parts of France, being prime ski territory and near the Riviera. It's a bit millionaire's playground or that's my impression from visiting and working a season in Aosta, but I've never lived there.
Thank you for the information, the other dream although I suspect unachievable is to find an unspoilt fishing village along the French coast, not that worried where.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flaneur
Thank you for the information, the other dream although I suspect unachievable is to find an unspoilt fishing village along the French coast, not that worried where.
I've travelled along the coast from Menton to past St Tropez/Antibes and as far as I could tell the idyllic quiet affordable fishing village along the coast is gone.

If you went inland you may be able to find a fixer upper. Further inland the heat in the summer gets more intense and any chance of snow etc higher.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might have more luck finding an unspoilt fishing village along the Brittany coast. Or along the northern coast - not sure about fishing villages though. They fish in the Atlantic (ie Brittany) but do they fish in the Channel? But between say Fécamp in the west, eastwards along the Hauute Normandie and Seine Maritime and Pas de Calais coastline, there seem to be some little villages that time forgot. Maybe not quite as picturesque or dramatic as Brittany, but not without charm. No idea on prices but I should think quite affordable. All depends what you're looking for and where you see yourself flâning, might be too quiet and sleepy for you.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I think you might have more luck finding an unspoilt fishing village along the Brittany coast. Or along the northern coast - not sure about fishing villages though. They fish in the Atlantic (ie Brittany) but do they fish in the Channel? But between say Fécamp in the west, eastwards along the Hauute Normandie and Seine Maritime and Pas de Calais coastline, there seem to be some little villages that time forgot. Maybe not quite as picturesque or dramatic as Brittany, but not without charm. No idea on prices but I should think quite affordable. All depends what you're looking for and where you see yourself flâning, might be too quiet and sleepy for you.
Port-en-Bessin would be good choice. It's not unspoilt in its entirety having a busy Sunday market attended in part by tourists in the summer. It also has a golf course in nearby Huppain. Out of season though it's just a fishing village with proper amenities.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

bicks is an unknown quantity at this point

If you like the Mountains, the surrounding Montgenevre / Milky Way region is stunning