Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Foxsat-HDR/500 satellite box in France

Foxsat-HDR/500 satellite box in France

Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:20 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foxsat-HDR/500 satellite box in France

Originally Posted by adele222
thanks for that yes the box i got is sky plus hd box with record,playback etc.I have seen as am moving to toulouse colomiers area that a 60cm dish will do,maybe 80.
Dish I bought two weeks back for a friend in standard bricolage was a tad over €25 complete with single LNB, so perhaps wait til you arrive and see who has what before you buy. It may be as Cuthbert says you need an 80cm one; we are much further north as you can see.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:28 am
Just Joined

ddarlow is an unknown quantity at this point

I am about to buy the Humax 500 combined Freesat receiver and PVR, and was interested by one or two postings on this thread. One person mentioned a 'conflict' on recording. Since the purpose of having the PVR is to record UK programmes, can you tell me what the problem is? Secondly, someone mentioned the possibility of receiving French TV also. How is that possible? Are Freesat and French TV on the same satellite now? Would I simply have to buy a set-top box for French TV and re-plug from the Humax in order to switch to French TV?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 11:30 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddarlow
I am about to buy the Humax 500 combined Freesat receiver and PVR, and was interested by one or two postings on this thread. One person mentioned a 'conflict' on recording. Since the purpose of having the PVR is to record UK programmes, can you tell me what the problem is? Secondly, someone mentioned the possibility of receiving French TV also. How is that possible? Are Freesat and French TV on the same satellite now? Would I simply have to buy a set-top box for French TV and re-plug from the Humax in order to switch to French TV?
Some of that may be from me. I am fortunate that I have an antennae with direct link to TV for French channels. Humax PVR uses other connections (HDMI) and is satellite linked for Freesat, so I get both using separate remotes.
You need a twin feed from the LNB to get the best from Humax, you will still have some 'conflicts' on recording, I have never discovered why this is the case; others may know. It occurs on the standard 1-5 main UK channels. Humax have never (to my knowledge) given an explanation. It is certainly frustrating.
I am currently looking at a Samsung PVR which offers sufficient recording but with better image of 1080, rather than 780. This matches our TVs.
I and a techie friend in UK feel Humax have had it all their own way for too long and rested on their laurels having been first on the market.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:49 am
Just Joined

I am now about to buy the Foxsat 500 HD Freesat receiver and PVR combined. However, I see that it requires a dual LNB at the satellite dish. Since I am a complete ignoramus at all things electronic, can someone please give me a differ's guide to LNBs. At present I (presumably) have a single LNB, with a cable running down through the house, all neatly chased into the plasterwork. If I swap to a dual (or quad) LNB, does that mean I shall have to run a second cable down through the house to the Freesat? Not only would that be a horrendous job, but would result in miles of ugly exposed cabling.
Also, I understand that LNBs are somewhat fussy about whatever they're feeding - they have to be compatible with the receiver. So what sort of LNB would I need?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:14 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

I am now about to buy the Foxsat 500 HD Freesat receiver and PVR combined. However, I see that it requires a dual LNB at the satellite dish. Since I am a complete ignoramus at all things electronic, can someone please give me a differ's guide to LNBs. At present I (presumably) have a single LNB, with a cable running down through the house, all neatly chased into the plasterwork. If I swap to a dual (or quad) LNB, does that mean I shall have to run a second cable down through the house to the Freesat? Not only would that be a horrendous job, but would result in miles of ugly exposed cabling.
Also, I understand that LNBs are somewhat fussy about whatever they're feeding - they have to be compatible with the receiver. So what sort of LNB would I need?

Many thanks.
Sorry to have to tell you, you need the twin LNB or you will only get a limited recording opportunity from the Humax. I don't believe the type of LNB is a factor (others may disagree). Even with a twin LNB the Humax does not always sing and dance. I have never quite discovered which channels are the common suspects (something to do with how close the channels are in their signal footprint), but even with the prime 5 UK channels plus HD versions there is the 'conflict'.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I see that I need the dual LNB, but will that entail the second cable that I mentioned? And it's quite disappointing what you say about recording conflicts. What actually happens?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:29 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I see that I need the dual LNB, but will that entail the second cable that I mentioned? And it's quite disappointing what you say about recording conflicts. What actually happens?
Yes, you will need a twin cable from the two screw fixings on the LNB and they then via their independent cables screw into the back of the Humax.
As to 'conflicts', I believe others have tried to answer this, but it happens. I cannot find a definitive guide to which channels conflict with others.
While I was talking up Samsung I doubt an alternative decoder/recorder has a solution. As I said, I believe it is how the TV channel signal is beamed. I shall take another look at the Humax site as the marketing does correctly say you can view one channel while recording up to two others, but conflicts are not referenced.
NB Just checked Humax UK. There is a tel number you can call, landline and 0844 and an e-mail, but I guess you will need to wait until Wednesday given the two-day holiday.

Last edited by cjm; Jun 4th 2012 at 2:35 pm. Reason: Extra info.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:30 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
Yes, you will need a twin cable from the two screw fixings on the LNB and they then via their independent cables screw into the back of the Humax.
As to 'conflicts', I believe others have tried to answer this, but it happens. I cannot find a definitive guide to which channels conflict with others.
While I was talking up Samsung I doubt an alternative decoder/recorder has a solution. As I said, I believe it is how the TV channel signal is beamed. I shall take another look at the Humax site as the marketing does correctly say you can view one channel while recording up to two others, but conflicts are not referenced.
NB Just checked Humax UK. There is a tel number you can call, landline and 0844 and an e-mail, but I guess you will need to wait until Wednesday given the two-day holiday.
Did a search and found this, it may offer some answers. I suppose what frustrates all of us who use Humax is the blurb promises lots but fails to indicate imperfections.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-...l#post11373998
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help. From all accounts then, the only way I can get a Humax PVR to work is by installing a second cable to a dual LNB, which gives me a heart attack even thinking about it...crawling over rooftops, breaking tiles, miles of exposed cabling etc. I'm therefore wondering about purchasing a DVD recorder with hard drive instead - one of those (like the LG) that record digital pictures directly. I don't know whether anyone is clued up about these, but my questions would be: will they record from Freesat, presumably via a normal Humax set-top box? Will they display an EPG to make programming a recording dead simple (the thought of going back to the old days of timer recordings is a definite turn-off)?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:21 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help. From all accounts then, the only way I can get a Humax PVR to work is by installing a second cable to a dual LNB, which gives me a heart attack even thinking about it...crawling over rooftops, breaking tiles, miles of exposed cabling etc. I'm therefore wondering about purchasing a DVD recorder with hard drive instead - one of those (like the LG) that record digital pictures directly. I don't know whether anyone is clued up about these, but my questions would be: will they record from Freesat, presumably via a normal Humax set-top box? Will they display an EPG to make programming a recording dead simple (the thought of going back to the old days of timer recordings is a definite turn-off)?
Second cable and the Humax is the best approach adding another box to record things on separately just complicates the recording process. imho
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

djstu_d is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help. From all accounts then, the only way I can get a Humax PVR to work is by installing a second cable to a dual LNB, which gives me a heart attack even thinking about it...
You could look into putting a uni-cable lnb on your dish, then you'd only need the one lead you already have.

take a look here:- http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page1a.htm

not tried on myself, but worth looking into....
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

That sounds really good, if it's true. Think I'll get one. Thanks.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:55 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by djstu_d
You could look into putting a uni-cable lnb on your dish, then you'd only need the one lead you already have.

take a look here:- http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page1a.htm

not tried on myself, but worth looking into....
Looked up the link you posted. It says it works for Humax recorders, but be good to hear from someone who has it installed. I didn't check if you need a higher grade co-ax to benefit reception. It would solve the single cable embedded in the wall issue though.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:27 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that too.

I haven't tried it as I have a twin feed but I saw it in a newsletter the other day.

I would be interested in any feedback as I could use a third cable and this would save me putting one in.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 6th 2012 at 7:30 am.