Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Foxsat-HDR/500 satellite box in France

Foxsat-HDR/500 satellite box in France

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Foxsat-HDR/500 satellite box in France

Presumably recording from the Humax hard disc onto an external hard drive has to be done in real time?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:12 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cuthbert
As I understand it as it's Linux it doesn't like NTFS but will accept FAT32 though it has disk size limit of 4GB for transferring files, so you cannot save your HD films.

edit:
here's a couple of links that can explain it better than me.
http://wiki.vuze.com/w/FAT32_file_size_limit
http://www.astra2d.com/transfer.html
I was under the impression that all HD files were tagged as copy protected by the humax boxes, Mind you it could have just been the bbc content that is this way.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Nov 23rd 2011 at 3:35 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

I copied all of this years six nations in HD from the beeb on to a hard drive to use to train my rugby club, the copy process to the external drive is only limited by USB2 speed and the bus, takes a while but not eternal.
  • Put gparted on a usb stick
  • Change your computers book priority to allow you to boot from USB, this will start a linux environment (it sounds scary but it's a doddle, and is set up to do exactly this)
  • Format the external drive to EXT3
  • Attach external drive to Humax and copy files over using its inbuilt file manager.
  • Reconnect your external drive to your PC (rebooting as normal and not to USB)
  • Use a program like "linuxreader" to copy the file off the EXT3 drive to your normal hard drive.

Hope this helps, but any probs I have no problems if you PM me for it.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

Do these foxsat boxes have sports channels, like eurosport? I can't see them listed but trying to find a way of getting rid of sky, but still picking up some sports channels.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:45 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuthbert
As I understand it as it's Linux it doesn't like NTFS but will accept FAT32 though it has disk size limit of 4GB for transferring files, so you cannot save your HD films.

edit:
here's a couple of links that can explain it better than me.
http://wiki.vuze.com/w/FAT32_file_size_limit
http://www.astra2d.com/transfer.html
Sorry guys, Linux is a mystery to me. I can advise on Freesat and have a Humax box with double coax, but you peeps with FAT (what the F is that) leave my arteries well clagged.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by cjm
Sorry guys, Linux is a mystery to me. I can advise on Freesat and have a Humax box with double coax, but you peeps with FAT (what the F is that) leave my arteries well clagged.
FAT = File Allocation Table
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

adele222 is an unknown quantity at this point

is this like a free view box here basically?thanks
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

also is the sky freesat better then this box?as we want the extra channels such as sci fi,and bio channels...is this possible as can see with the sky one you need a dish either way,but other one you dont..

thanks
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by adele222
also is the sky freesat better then this box?as we want the extra channels such as sci fi,and bio channels...is this possible as can see with the sky one you need a dish either way,but other one you dont..

thanks
Freesat or Sky is your only option in France any Freeview box you are looking at that does not require a satellite dish will be unsuitable for use in France for English TV. If you want Sci Fi etc then you will best getting Sky as it is not on Freesat.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

i got the box already sky plus, if i cancel the sky here,and bring the box and buy a new viewing card and i got a dish up would i get the free channels then?am just trying how to get decent sky channels best way so complicated grrr.only problem i havent got uk address when i move you see,and really want sci fi and bio,and them style channels..I have heard that freesat do a premium selection do you know where i can check what extra channels i can get with them please.

Thanks for helping very kind of you
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

also can you do top up tv with the freesat box?so pay extra for movies etc
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by adele222
also can you do top up tv with the freesat box?so pay extra for movies etc
No not at the moment.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:59 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Freesat or Sky is your only option in France any Freeview box you are looking at that does not require a satellite dish will be unsuitable for use in France for English TV. If you want Sci Fi etc then you will best getting Sky as it is not on Freesat.
If you keep a UK address in some form, via neighbour, relative perhaps, you can subscribe to Sky for the extra channels that Freesat is unable to provide. Several friends do this, primarily for the sport or films. You can use a Sky box and card to get Freesat channels. However, unless your existing box has a record facility, you might consider a Humax decoder and recorder. Prices are better these days and on-line support is good. Suggest a new satellite dish, minimum 60cm, with twin LNB to a Humax as this is best for recording. Check out on-line. I don't think your old Sky dish is any good in France; too small.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

If Adele is moving to Toulouse, with the Sky tractor seat dish anything other a perfect day and you will have pixellation on the lower bandwidth channels, and on signals that come from the other satellites in that astra cluster that doesn't carry the main transponder signal. I would suggest anywhere south of the Loire install an 80cm dish to be certain, though I did have a 60 myself for a few years that only used to suffer in the heavy mountain thunder storms.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html
Though the actual footprint is larger than this if you use a 1m+ dish and I've heard of people in cyprus/northern africa using 2.4/3m dishes and having almost perfect signal.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that yes the box i got is sky plus hd box with record,playback etc.I have seen as am moving to toulouse colomiers area that a 60cm dish will do,maybe 80.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.