Reload this Page >

Finding work in France

Finding work in France

Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

redcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding work in France

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I take it you do have a Brexit proof plan...
Nope!
Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

redcard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
But in fact we don't know what the OH's partner's profession is....
She's a highly-skilled veterinary doctor and is employed part of the week, self-employed the other part. I believe in the medium-term she would be looking to work in a French surgery, either on an employed or self-employed basis.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Purple Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

You must be absolutely fluent to work credibly here.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purple Jim
You must be absolutely fluent to work credibly here.
Rather a sweeping statement.
If you mean in a veterinary or other medical practice, I agree.
However, I'm frequently in contact with newly arrived british personnel in the aircraft industry at Toulouse (skilled and semi-skilled), very credible workers, who don't speak a word of French, and unless they are in a managerial position are not required to.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redcard
She's a highly-skilled veterinary doctor and is employed part of the week, self-employed the other part. I believe in the medium-term she would be looking to work in a French surgery, either on an employed or self-employed basis.

https://www.veterinaire.fr/exercer-l...uropeenne.html
confirms that a qualified EU vet can register if he/she satisfies the language requirement. I didn't read the Article of the Code concerning this, but imagine that the level is very high....

https://www.veterinaire.fr/exercer-l...r-liberal.html
on the same site also gives info on vétérinaires libéraux (self-employed) if your partner, once registered, doesn't wish for salaried employment.

P.S. I'm a bit confused, as in your 1st post, you said that your partner's employer is willing to allow her to work from home in France. Also that she doesn't like the work much. That doesn't sound compatible with working as a Vet....

Last edited by dmu; Nov 16th 2017 at 5:03 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
However, I'm frequently in contact with newly arrived british personnel in the aircraft industry at Toulouse (skilled and semi-skilled), very credible workers, who don't speak a word of French, and unless they are in a managerial position are not required to.
Wow, that is courageous. However if it's with a company in the aircraft industry, I imagine that a lot of things are layed out and arranged for them, to help them to adapt and integrate. If one comes over to settle here without a company backing one up, it's a entirely different story.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 7:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Hi Tweedpipe, you would also know that English is the working language of Airbus, as it is for most multi-national companies based in France. Otherwise, chaos would ensue.... oh wait!

I also worked in France and when I started my french was a lot less than perfect! I was also looking after french speaking patients and in those circumstances you pick it all up very quickly. An expert knowledge of your subject, fantastic work experience, stellar references and being in the right place at the right time are probably almost as important as half decent grounding in french.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 7:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

One of my best friends in France is a veterinarian. It is shockingly badly paid if you are normal run of the mill veterinary dr.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
One of my best friends in France is a veterinarian. It is shockingly badly paid if you are normal run of the mill veterinary dr.
Hi Pf,
I didn't know that vets were poorly paid in France, but what I do know is that those I have met and dealt with, do a truly outstanding job. In fact I've just opened a new thread on the subject.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

I thought vets managed their own business, so the salary they take is of their own choosing, depending on the turnover. Surely only vets within a larger structure would be on a salary determined by their superiors.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 8:24 am
Just Joined

CzP41004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry about Brexit closing the doors of France to the Brits, we're pretty much necessary to the French economy, I've had a girlfriend working in tourism there (near St Jean de Monts) and she told me that she and her university friends who found jobs in tourism as well had tons of British tourists and expats to deal with, all over the country (but especially in Provence and in Brittany). Even with Brexit, the Frenchies will try to find a way to keep the stream flowing, especially since expats are buying real estate in some of France's most impoverished regions: it's cheap and in the countryside!
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CzP41004
Don't worry about Brexit closing the doors of France to the Brits, we're pretty much necessary to the French economy, I've had a girlfriend working in tourism there (near St Jean de Monts) and she told me that she and her university friends who found jobs in tourism as well had tons of British tourists and expats to deal with, all over the country (but especially in Provence and in Brittany). Even with Brexit, the Frenchies will try to find a way to keep the stream flowing, especially since expats are buying real estate in some of France's most impoverished regions: it's cheap and in the countryside!
I'm afraid I don't agree with this.
Granted there are an estimated 150k - 200k Brits resident in France depending of which of the stats one wishes to believe. Even with perhaps one third of the Eymet population being Brits, I cannot accept that those numbers are 'necessary' for the French economy. Nice to have agreed, but given that many are 'inactives', I would argue that even myself having paid into the French coffers for many years along with the thousands of other Brits, imho the French economy doesn't significantly depend on it.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 12:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

That's as may be, but the OP would have to compete with equally qualified, bilingual French candidates chasing after any jobs going - French employers tend to look after their own and would logically choose a French candidate. Unemployment in France is high and most professions are affected.
Just as a matter of interest (to any one considering this career), were your gf and friends in a French University and did they all get CDIs, or simply seasonal CDDs? In what way did they deal with expats? (who, strictly speaking, aren't tourists).
Old Dec 5th 2017, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Even with Brexit, the Frenchies will try to find a way to keep the stream flowing, especially since expats are buying real estate in some of France's most impoverished regions: it's cheap and in the countryside!
Hasn't that trend been gradually reversing? I remember reading that less Brits have been buying properties and settling here than in the 90s and early 2000s.
With all the uncertainties around Brexit in relation to the health and other services/administrations, I wouldn't say that the future looks all that cut and dry for newly arriving expats looking to settle. Still true though about good deals to be found in terms of properties out in the sticks (compared to UK prices).
Old Dec 6th 2017, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of tourism jobs during tourist season. If you live in the ski areas there are two tourist seasons a year. But wages in the tourist sector are notoriously low. Perfect for a vacation job for students but if you're a grown-up and here full time you might need to put enough aside to get through off-season. Go to a tourist hotspot at the end of March or early November and see how many job vacancies there are and how tons of British tourists there are around.