Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Farms to rent in Brittany ?

Farms to rent in Brittany ?

Old Feb 12th 2017, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farms to rent in Brittany ?

Yes but am I right in thinking that being a member of the NFU is purely optional?
I also get the impression that Defra are more about policy making and less hands on at a regional level with regard to land use and working with individual farmers.
I'm not convinced there is a UK equivalent to SAFER and MSA.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the NFU are optional to join , and best described as a Marmite organisation
Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
best described as a Marmite organisation
LOL - I came across that expression quite recently (in connection with bright orange cars) and had to have it explained to me
Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
LOL - I came across that expression quite recently (in connection with bright orange cars) and had to have it explained to me
I give in, what does it mean?
Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I give in, what does it mean?
You either love or hate it , no in between

Marmite
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:20 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
You either love or hate it , no in between

Marmite
Thanks for that, I love it!
The French equivalent of the NFU is the FNSEA, I presume, like any Union, it's not compulsory to join.
On the other hand the MSA is the Social Security organisation for farmers and, as mentioned above, it is compulsory to contribute.
I think the SAFER is essentially French - if you buy or sell a house with non-constructible land which is classified as agricultural, the sale can't advance until the SAFER has exercised, or not, its right of pre-emption. It's to give farmers the opportunity of buying land which comes up for sale, and to prevent developers from taking over rural land to build estates, Is there an equivalent organisation in the UK? If not, your friend is going to have to learn the quirky French ways!
Old Feb 14th 2017, 10:13 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your friend would find out a lot about farming in France if he comes to Paris soon to visit the Salon de l'Agriculture, as per
https://www.salon-agriculture.com/
I imagine all the various agricultural organisations have stands there, and he'd also be able to make contact with Breton farmers. He could enquire about the possibility of being a "métayer" (sharecropper?) who rents land for free and gives the owner a percentage of his produce. I meant to mention this before, but forgot the French expression!
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Regarding buying land in the UK, anyone can, no restrictions, however you can't do as you please with it, planning permission for building houses is unlikely on most agricultural land.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Your friend would find out a lot about farming in France if he comes to Paris soon to visit the Salon de l'Agriculture, as per
https://www.salon-agriculture.com/
I imagine all the various agricultural organisations have stands there, and he'd also be able to make contact with Breton farmers. He could enquire about the possibility of being a "métayer" (sharecropper?) who rents land for free and gives the owner a percentage of his produce. I meant to mention this before, but forgot the French expression!
Interesting, thanks for that.