Reload this Page >

Family expat communities in France

Family expat communities in France

Old Feb 19th 2018, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Goldie87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family expat communities in France

Hi everyone,

Currently living in Paris with my French husband, expecting our first child.

We’re thinking about moving out of Paris to a town with charm, beauty and hopefully an expat community for me!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family expat communities in France

Originally Posted by Goldie87
Hi everyone,

Currently living in Paris with my French husband, expecting our first child.

We’re thinking about moving out of Paris to a town with charm, beauty and hopefully an expat community for me!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Are you talking about moving out of Paris to the suburbs? I would suggest anywhere to the WSW, with a good transport connection to wherever your OH is working. We used to live near Versailles, but at the time had no idea of the expat population in the area, apart from a large one in St Germain-en-Laye and surroundings.
On the other hand, if his work location isn't important and you want to leave the Paris Region entirely, he must already know a lot of towns with charm and beauty, and I'd suggest that you pass on his ideas and we may know what the expat scene is there (if that's an important factor for you....)
Is everything organised for the birth in Paris? If you move beforehand, you'd have the extra hassle, and even anxiety, of changing everything medical, including transferring your CPAM dossier to your new one.
P.S. How is your French? Wherever you are, you'll meet a lot of other mothers in the local park, if not English-speaking ones. When you've sorted out baby-sitting, you can join some local clubs and make friends with similar interests....
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply!

We’re thinking about completely different areas in France, he’s not very keen on suburbs for some reason. He’s thinking of somewhere like Angers, or somewhere with better weather than that, no more than a couple of hours by train to Paris (he can work remotely and go in occasionally).

My French isn’t bad, B1/B2, but would like to have the possibility of making both French and expat friends.

Looking to move after the baby is born, end of this year perhaps.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldie87
Thanks for your reply!

We’re thinking about completely different areas in France, he’s not very keen on suburbs for some reason. He’s thinking of somewhere like Angers, or somewhere with better weather than that, no more than a couple of hours by train to Paris (he can work remotely and go in occasionally).

My French isn’t bad, B1/B2, but would like to have the possibility of making both French and expat friends.

Looking to move after the baby is born, end of this year perhaps.
A lot of Parisians aren't!!
Angers is a good start, or anywhere on a TGV line within a 2-hour radius.
Others will come along with ideas (I live too far south to be of any help re expats, but my suggestions about meeting others and making friends is valid nationwide!).
Good luck!
Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Tours and surrounding area has a lot to offer.
One hour by tgv to Paris.
There is a university with many English-speaking students.
Good teaching hospitals.
A theatre and a studio cinema with lots of English language films.
An interesting area with many châteaux to visit.
Several good wine-growing areas close by.
Tours has loads of restaurants from tourist menu to gourmet.
Tours is open all year with tourists in summer and students in winter.
There are many Brits in the area but they are usually well- integrated into the local community and you have to go hunting for them.
HTH
Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks I’ll look into Tours!