British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Excideuil (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/excideuil-585249/)

peut-etre Jan 18th 2009 7:12 pm

Excideuil

just seen a nice property for sale in Excideuil. Anyone know anything about it, live in area and can tell me about it. looking for a place for OH and me, two aged parents and a few animals. Is it near enough to food shopping, medics and maybe even something agricultural? thanks.

Ka Ora! Jan 18th 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Excideuil

Originally Posted by peut-etre (Post 7184642)
just seen a nice property for sale in Excideuil. Anyone know anything about it, live in area and can tell me about it. looking for a place for OH and me, two aged parents and a few animals. Is it near enough to food shopping, medics and maybe even something agricultural? thanks.

I really think you should take a look at it before making any decision as it's all a personal preference kind of thing.....

bonoeuf Jan 19th 2009 1:01 pm

Hello, I have had a look about on he web and Google earth for you. There is an Hopital about 20k in Perigueux along with supermarkets and a good selection of general shopping. Have alook yourself on the sites and then have a trip over once you think the area might be for you.
Marty

G-J-B Jan 19th 2009 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by bonoeuf (Post 7187158)
Hello, I have had a look about on he web and Google earth for you. There is an Hopital about 20k in Perigueux along with supermarkets and a good selection of general shopping. Have alook yourself on the sites and then have a trip over once you think the area might be for you.
Marty

Flying around on Google Earth is a fun way to waste some time. I've been exploring Paris this way.

I think as everybody else suggests, the only way to get a feel for a place is to visit. Sometimes you find people who buy without checking a place out first, which I can't for the life of me understand.

peut-etre Jan 19th 2009 6:32 pm

No, even I'm not as daft as buying without seeing. Just was wondering if any of the readers of the forum lived near and could tell me a bit about the area.

frenchfarm Jan 24th 2009 8:25 am

Originally Posted by peut-etre (Post 7184642)

It is an OK town. i live about 6k away and use the market/shops and doctor.
Ant info you want - just drop me a line
Mike

onlyonebrenda Jan 28th 2009 11:06 pm

Excideuil is a great place to live and reasonably priced. People are generally friendly and helpful. It's had some good shops but has lost a key greengrocery and a dress shop in the last couple of years. The baker's is very good and tends to stay open for more reasonable hours than most French shops. There is a good litle hardware store. There is a rugby ground and there are some pleasant walks including one to the caves where gigantic prehistoric bears used to live. Champion is a large out of town supermarket which sells English newspapers to the sizeable English population in the area. Market day is Thursday and there is an exceptionally good fish counter. The mayor is friendly and supportive. Périgueux and the out of town shopping area of Trelissac are not too far.
The weather tends to be a couple of degrees warmer than England. After the recent orange warning level near hurricane water and electricity were affected but this has been the worst storm since 1999. Apparently the main part wasn' t affected but St Médard d'Excideuil was. Do check for the possibility of flooding where you buy. It is nothing for these little streams or rivers to rise 2 - 3 meters in winter. St Médard also has an excellent mayor. There is a shoe factory selling designer shoes for people like Gucci, Hermes and Gamba. There are regular sales with the shoes being sold for around 20€. I'm wearing some now and there is a Troc where you can buy antique furniture etc at reasonable prices.
As you cross over the river to the east of the town the land rises into the foothills of the Massif Central and the temperature and weather conditions can change quite sharply for the worse. e.g. with more fog.
The Chateau is lived in so only a little part is open to the public. There is a memorial to Bertran de Born who owned the Borne Dominiale Forests and Hautfort chateau. He was a medieval troubadour who supported Henry against his brother Richard the Lionheart and then changed sides and became one of Richard's most faithful supporters. The Chateau also houses the best art exhibitions in the area. (I would say that as I'm exhibiting there later this summer.)
If you like this area, which tends to stay green even in summer because of the storms arising from being on the edge of the Bordeaux plain where it meets the massif central, then Excideuil is a good bet - go for it.

peut-etre Jan 29th 2009 8:03 am

thank you onlyonebrenda, that was what I needed. we love the general Perigueux area and will be visiting again in May.