Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

English speaking jobs in France/jobs for ex pats

English speaking jobs in France/jobs for ex pats

Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

turquoiseblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English speaking jobs in France/jobs for ex pats

Thinking about working and living in France, Paris or suburbs of Paris.

I would need to find an english speaking job or one where conversational French would be enough. At least to begin with.

Any tips for websites/angencies I can use.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking jobs in France/jobs for ex pats

Originally Posted by turquoiseblue

I would need to find an english speaking job or one where conversational French would be enough. At least to begin with.

I found a good way to begin in Paris was to in a pub.There are Aussie and English ones that may be of help.So long as you can count in French you should find that your French improves rapidly that will enable you to move on to other things.
Failing that there is English teaching ofcourse,but pay was not great in Paris as so many were doing that and perhaps not the best for development of the French language.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:51 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

There are already tens of thousands of job-seekers of all nationalities in the Paris region and I think you'd be really lucky to find a job in a "pub", just like that.
As for teaching English, if you don't know French grammar, you'd find it difficult to explain English grammar to French students. If there are any such teaching jobs available, candidates with teaching diplomas would be selected...

I'd carefully research the question of coming over at the present time - the economic situation has improved ever so slightly (on paper) but there are still about 2 million people in France looking for jobs.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

1Leo is an unknown quantity at this point

Think again!
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
There are already tens of thousands of job-seekers of all nationalities in the Paris region and I think you'd be really lucky to find a job in a "pub", just like that.
As for teaching English, if you don't know French grammar, you'd find it difficult to explain English grammar to French students. If there are any such teaching jobs available, candidates with teaching diplomas would be selected...

I'd carefully research the question of coming over at the present time - the economic situation has improved ever so slightly (on paper) but there are still about 2 million people in France looking for jobs.
Actually i found it in the early ninties quite different to what you say.In Paris it was considered fairly easy to obtain various hours at private English schools,but the pay was low.A knowedge of grammar beyond what a reasonably educated person should know was not called for as stress was put on having English as a mother tongue. Also the material used for teaching was self explanitary most of the times including answers.
Unemployment was high back then also as at the time i done work for ANPE with hard to place,long term unemployed people so had first hand experience of the difficulties involved.
Same with pub work sometimes it is only a matter of putting yourself about a bit and things can and do happen.Also matter of being in the right at the right time.
Difference maybe was i was not relying on pub work for financial gain so much as gain confidence in language by being pushed to speak it a bit. Anyway the hours would have been nowhere near enough to allow enough to live on without other means of finacial backing.
to allow.

Last edited by the troubadour; Aug 22nd 2009 at 6:26 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, I'll try again...
We're talking about 2009, not last century.

Anyway, if the OP has no family responsibilities, then go for it, whatever. At least you've been warned that France isn't a bed of roses!
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
sorry, I'll try again...
We're talking about 2009, not last century.

Anyway, if the OP has no family responsibilities, then go for it, whatever. At least you've been warned that France isn't a bed of roses!
Point taken with regards to the time but what i wanted to relay was that the times were tough then as well,unemployment was at least 12.5% or higher.
Was told employment prospects were very difficult but had work by the second week in France. The message is it can be done.
If the OP has the desire to work in France it can happen.Sometimes we are required to take the plunge and see what may unravel. Follow your dreams but also have a way out if it all goes pear shaped.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 2:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Actually i found it in the early ninties quite different to what you say.In Paris it was considered fairly easy to obtain various hours at private English schools,but the pay was low.A knowedge of grammar beyond what a reasonably educated person should know was not called for as stress was put on having English as a mother tongue. Also the material used for teaching was self explanitary most of the time.
I was too busy bringing up my two daughters at the same time as struggling to keep my company afloat in the early 90s, to bother about national unemployment statistics!
I beg to differ re teaching English. I used to give English coaching to my daughters' friends at Collège and Lycée and I wouldn't have been able to do so without knowing the French grammatical terms which they all learn en Primaire to explain CODs, COIs, tags, compléments de lieu, de temps, etc,... not to mention the differences in the use of tenses in French and English...
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
I was too busy bringing up my two daughters at the same time as struggling to keep my company afloat in the early 90s, to bother about national unemployment statistics!
I beg to differ re teaching English. I used to give English coaching to my daughters' friends at Collège and Lycée and I wouldn't have been able to do so without knowing the French grammatical terms which they all learn en Primaire to explain CODs, COIs, tags, compléments de lieu, de temps, etc,... not to mention the differences in the use of tenses in French and English...
You are speaking of a entirely different level of learning to which you are of course correct.
Are you saying there is now a uniform level in France that demands such a high standard by all?
This for certain was not the case early 1996.(When i departed)In fact whether or not the so called teacher could speak any French at all(to speak of)did not seem a big issue then,let alone have any grammar abilities as the students it was felt were then compelled to speak in English.
Sorry but this is something i witnessed in schools at the time so i know it to be fact. (Naturally most did speak French to a degree. ) I guess in certain areas it was not easy to find native speakers that held all the usual requirements shall we say.Dreux was one such place that comes to mind.Also not all teaching is conducted at school as companies also conducted Business English for staff and again i knew people with no formal qualification, but in those two cases did speak good French.
That was the case then 14 years ago i am by no means saying it was a norm in French education but a number of private schools to cut costs did employ what was in fact unqualified people.
One school in Dijon even had their own teaching program of three days which employees had to under take prior to being let lose on clients.
As i understand they were gone by 96 owing money to employees.
All this style of operating may not be possible these days i can accept that as have no idea having long removed myself from (sadly at times)most things French.
But really what i wanted to convay to the poster was if you really want to spend time in Paris or else where in France with a bit of effort it can be possible,go to where ever it is the expats tend to frequent these days and search out ideas.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:23 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
You are speaking of a entirely different level of learning to which you are of course correct.
Are you saying there is now a uniform level in France that demands such a high standard by all?

But really what i wanted to convay to the poster was if you really want to spend time in Paris or else where in France with a bit of effort it can be possible,go to where ever it is the expats tend to frequent these days and search out ideas.
Hi,
My "pupils" needed coaching in order to keep up with the teachers' fast pace and ultimately to pass the Bac (which includes grammatical analysis).
Back to the OP, as I said, as long as he/she hasn't got a family to feed, then go ahead.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Turquoiseblue, you will find that very difficult I'm afraid. I was talking with a friend yesterday who has a very very good position, recently moved out to Switzerland, but looking to move back to Paris. He says there's nothing for him and finding a job here would be incredibly tough, and he's French. I asked if it was the recession (despite France is now supposed to be out of the recession according to the papers), but he doesn't think the recession is causing problems, it's just a lack of jobs.

Around 5 years ago, my partner's Aussue ex came to Paris for a few months with no French and got a job in an Scottish pub without many problems. I imagine there are a few British companies (and even more American) here too, although I'd be surprised if they didn't want somebody who spoke good French as well.

Have you considered working for yourself?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Turquoiseblue, you will find that very difficult I'm afraid. I was talking with a friend yesterday who has a very very good position, recently moved out to Switzerland, but looking to move back to Paris. He says there's nothing for him and finding a job here would be incredibly tough, and he's French. I asked if it was the recession (despite France is now supposed to be out of the recession according to the papers), but he doesn't think the recession is causing problems, it's just a lack of jobs.

Around 5 years ago, my partner's Aussue ex came to Paris for a few months with no French and got a job in an Scottish pub without many problems. I imagine there are a few British companies (and even more American) here too, although I'd be surprised if they didn't want somebody who spoke good French as well.

Have you considered working for yourself?
Perhaps your French friend is a little more selective when it comes to job searching?
The Aussie who secured a pub is something more like i had in mind that the Poster could aim to start with. A foot in the door..who knoes what may happen then?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:17 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could we have a bit of feedback from Turquoiseblue? He/she is conspicuous by his/her absence in this discussion...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

turquoiseblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your responses so far!

I should explain I have lived in France before (Chaville) as an au pair and since visited many many times and always hoped to live there again.

I speak better than conversational french and have a fairly good schooling in grammar but I am very out of practice and hence I am looking into an english speaking job in France. (I knew someone who worked in Belgium for Levis and that was what got me thinking about the possibility).
However I have no idea where to start looking for such jobs? I will be looking in industry mags/sites anyway but I wondered if there was a magazine/paper/website especially for expat job seekers or places where such job ads are more likely to be found/places other people have found success.

I would love to apply for French speaking jobs but I just don't think my french is good enough to be competitive. Annoyingly I know I will improve quickly if I was living there and get back to my former standard. But to live there I need a job!
I probably would get by in a pub/restaurant situation but I really want to do a 'proper' job, either what I am doing now (fashion buying) or at least in the same industry.

Last edited by turquoiseblue; Sep 3rd 2009 at 10:58 pm. Reason: Missed something out
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you for your responses so far!

I should explain I have lived in France before (Chaville) as an au pair and since visited many many times and always hoped to live there again.

I speak better than conversational french and have a fairly good schooling in grammar but I am very out of practice and hence I am looking into an english speaking job in France. (I knew someone who worked in Belgium for Levis and that was what got me thinking about the possibility).
However I have no idea where to start looking for such jobs? I will be looking in industry mags/sites anyway but I wondered if there was a magazine/paper/website especially for expat job seekers or places where such job ads are more likely to be found/places other people have found success.

I would love to apply for French speaking jobs but I just don't think my french is good enough to be competitive. Annoyingly I know I will improve quickly if I was living there and get back to my former standard. But to live there I need a job!
I probably would get by in a pub/restaurant situation but I really want to do a 'proper' job, either what I am doing now (fashion buying) or at least in the same industry.
I guess most would like what you term a proper job but it gets back to your ability to be able to function in that enviroment.
My suggestion is not to be too proud and accept whatever comes up that will allow the confidence and skill to move on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.