Electric or fuel?

Electric or fuel?

Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

ChissayLuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electric or fuel?

Hi Ka Ora!
Interesting link!
I don't know how the US fuel prices compare with this units price and other installation costs, but if it really does have the 3-5 year payback they claim, it could be something!
All that California summer sun!

I spoke to some friends this afternoon who have such an installation and they were pretty lukewarm about both its productivity and cost savings though. We are in the Loire valley - maybe closer to the south it might be more impressive.

For sure anything we CAN get 'free' from the sun is welcome - as these technologies develop they will become more affordable, and in this light the differential between set-up costs in the future and ever-increasing fuel costs will only become more stark.
From my own research, I am not yet convinced that it is time to buy into such a system for domestic purpose yet.
Although (at considerable set-up cost!) my little solar powered storage batteries/invertors I described above now work nicely, but there I had no alternative.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Sorry I should have been more specific, Im not talking about generating electricity from the sun as you are converting energies to many times to make it worth it. The growing trend in this area is to use the vacuum tubed elements that heat water directly not to be confused with the larger panels that assist heating systems.

See link HERE

They are pretty efficient and individual tubes are replaceable.
The amazon link isn't very informative. I'm just a simple chemist, can you explain the operating principle of these devices?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Does this help, Novocastrian?

http://www.solarwaterheaterpanels.in...or-vacuum.html
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:57 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The amazon link isn't very informative. I'm just a simple chemist, can you explain the operating principle of these devices?
Magic of the universe
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChissayLuke
Err, no. I'm not sure which language that writer is using, but it isn't one I understand.

I quote "Designed for the United States, the world’s leading technology innovation. Fairly simple Heat #2102 100′ Pipe Heat Cable. Constructed by lightweight, heavy-duty black polyolefin, today’s Solar Heating Systems feature state-of-the-art tube structure that creates a more robust surface area and this optimizes heat transfer for this sun’s energy for one’s pool. Dimensions with collector: 50 (W) x 79 (H). 4. Dimensions associated with collector: 50 (W) x 79 (H). ‘Going green’ is going to be trend nowadays because the world is facing large amounts of environmental difficulties specifically global warming. It’s an easy carry bag. Kilos created by collector: 130 lbs. SunChaser 16-Tube Solar Heated Water Collector Vacuum Tube.

, Even The entire Federal. Hook up nippy water to your inlet combined with sweltering water outlet within your existing amazing water line. 5. Easy Heat 100′ Deep freeze At no cost Connection is really a self regulating freeze shielding cable television comes from 100 feet, 300 feet, in addition to 500 the foot quantities. 2. The exact emissions contribute a whole lot to actually global warming the other method address this unique problem easy as by using solar energy with regards to homes. Dimensions connected with evacuated tubes: 58mm(OD) x 1800 mm (Length), about 2.3 x 72. Solar Water Heater for Swimming Pool. All the panels include the actual universal serial bus was needed to mount on roofs, racks or maybe ground. SunChaser 16-Tube Solar Great Water Collector Vacuum Tube. Weight regarding collector: 130 lbs. "

None the wiser. What does the vaccuum in the tubes do?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

No idea....
I was just trying to help.
Try googling....
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:57 pm
Born again atheist

No idea....
I was just trying to help.
Try googling....
And thanks for help.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Novo - nobody whose mother tongue is English concocted that; difficult to guess what the original language was tho' and I agree - pretty much unintelligble.
Blackie
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:03 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Err, no. I'm not sure which language that writer is using, but it isn't one I understand.

I quote "Designed for the United States, the world’s leading technology innovation. Fairly simple Heat #2102 100′ Pipe Heat Cable. Constructed by lightweight, heavy-duty black polyolefin, today’s Solar Heating Systems feature state-of-the-art tube structure that creates a more robust surface area and this optimizes heat transfer for this sun’s energy for one’s pool. Dimensions with collector: 50 (W) x 79 (H). 4. Dimensions associated with collector: 50 (W) x 79 (H). ‘Going green’ is going to be trend nowadays because the world is facing large amounts of environmental difficulties specifically global warming. It’s an easy carry bag. Kilos created by collector: 130 lbs. SunChaser 16-Tube Solar Heated Water Collector Vacuum Tube.

, Even The entire Federal. Hook up nippy water to your inlet combined with sweltering water outlet within your existing amazing water line. 5. Easy Heat 100′ Deep freeze At no cost Connection is really a self regulating freeze shielding cable television comes from 100 feet, 300 feet, in addition to 500 the foot quantities. 2. The exact emissions contribute a whole lot to actually global warming the other method address this unique problem easy as by using solar energy with regards to homes. Dimensions connected with evacuated tubes: 58mm(OD) x 1800 mm (Length), about 2.3 x 72. Solar Water Heater for Swimming Pool. All the panels include the actual universal serial bus was needed to mount on roofs, racks or maybe ground. SunChaser 16-Tube Solar Great Water Collector Vacuum Tube. Weight regarding collector: 130 lbs. "

None the wiser. What does the vaccuum in the tubes do?
Produces better energy collection and aids in the prevention of heat loss via conduction. As I understand it thermal heat does not pass through vacuum as it is not a conductive medium but radiant heat from the sun does.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:37 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Produces better energy collection and aids in the prevention of heat loss via conduction. As I understand it thermal heat does not pass through vacuum as it is not a conductive medium but radiant heat from the sun does.
That much would seem to make sense, but if you think about it the black backing in contact with the water, is very close to 100% efficient in converting radiant flux to heat. Why have the tubes at all?

I'm obviously missing something, but there we are, I'm missing it.

Edit: OK I understand now, it's not the vacuum or the tube itself, but rather an AlN/Al coating (confusingly referred to in passing as AL-N-AL in both links above. What it does is extend the range of solar wavelengths efficiently used for thermal conversion.

http://www.btfsolar.com/specifications.htm

Another itch scratched.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 30th 2012 at 7:59 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:13 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Novo - nobody whose mother tongue is English concocted that; difficult to guess what the original language was tho' and I agree - pretty much unintelligble.
Blackie
Now I've figured out how it functions, I think the crazy references to cable televisions were actually an attempt at conveying the idea of coaxial tubes.

Jesus wept.
Old May 1st 2012, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Hey Novocastrian,
Whilst you are scratching itches, could you have a go at one of mine, please?
I understand the economics of my photo-voltaic cells, but not how they work.
The energy of the sun, converted into electrical energy.....
Could you very kindly explain, please?
Thank you.
Old May 1st 2012, 1:49 pm
Born again atheist

Hey Novocastrian,
Whilst you are scratching itches, could you have a go at one of mine, please?
I understand the economics of my photo-voltaic cells, but not how they work.
The energy of the sun, converted into electrical energy.....
Could you very kindly explain, please?
Thank you.
Glad to. The photovoltaic cell is basically a diode made of two layers of semiconductor material, usually silicon, one of which is doped with e.g. phosphorous (n-type or having an excess of electrons relative to plain silicon), the other is doped with e.g. boron (p-type or a deficiency of electrons usually referred to as "holes").

When the n-type layer absorbs solar photons, some electrons are excited from the valence band (the highest occupied molecular orbital, or HOMO) to the conduction band (LUMO. lowest unoccupied MO). The energy required to do this is called the band gap and for silicon it's a couple of volts.

Now if the layers are connected through an external circuit the non-equilibrium results in electrons flowing in the circuit to reach the p-layer. The flow of electrons is a current which can do work.

Simples.

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 1st 2012 at 1:53 pm.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Merci bien!
Old May 1st 2012, 5:24 pm
Born again atheist

Merci bien!
De rien.

And next, The Larch.