Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Dog psychology ...

Dog psychology ...

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:41 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog psychology ...

I make no apology for resurrecting this thread, having re-read the majority of posts and the genuine desire by forum members to offer advice and support and to share experiences.
My original problems of the two dogs' behaviour was only marginally resolved and, in terms of both hunting ragondin into their burrows, things got worse. They now take that walk on leads.
However, today a friend came round. He has six dogs, including a Rottie, Lab, Jack Russell and English Springer that's deaf.
I recalled a comment from one poster suggesting another poster Etoile as I recall was the BE 'Dog Whisperer'. Thought no more about it, as I had heard of the Horse Whisperer and this was a compliment and no more.
In just a half hour my friend demonstrated how to change our dogs' behaviour; to each of us, to sitting on chairs, to jumping up, to begging or hanging round waiting for a dropped morsel, to stop barking (at TV dog ads often) and running amok in a form of what I have always called 'playfighting'.
What happened was finding the real Dog Whisperer on YouTube.
My friend demonstrated how to show the dogs that they are not dominant, we are. By not controlling their behaviour effectively they have been dominating us.
Words here are not adequate to share the experience. You need to go on-line and watch the films for yourself.
One technique is to, in a sense, corner your dog, keep moving as they move until they stand still. Then hold their eyes, stare as you stand in front of them. Key reactions are the ears going back and the tail drooping. At that point you are in control and can order them to sit. You can push their rear down while you hold under their chin with the other hand. Then praise them. Always praise good behaviour.
If they fight you need to get between them, but never shout. Simple command words.
In just a half hour we have learned some techniques that have shocked us in their simplicity. But you have to be consistent and react immediately when bad behaviour occurs.
I also need to share how their bad behaviour prompted the awful thought that we may need to re-home one of them. I cannot tell you how distressing that thought was to us. But life was becoming intolerable.
Now, we believe with determination and the change of behaviour we can all be happy together.
So, for the next week we will practice what we have learned and I will report back and share. But, please check out the Dog Whisperer films.

Last edited by cjm; Mar 3rd 2012 at 12:44 pm. Reason: Forgot the praise bit ...