Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Dementia care in France

Dementia care in France

Old Nov 25th 2017, 3:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dementia care in France

Originally Posted by DayPerson
Yes I haven't told dad about the auction route yet, but I read a post saying if it sold vastly under valued it could be seen as avoiding care home fees (because it is sold at a massive loss). ....
That is untrue. A sale at a public auction is by definition "sale at market price", and it would be almost impossible to prove otherwise.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Did you not read my post in one of your other threads? Put the home up for auction. Your mother needs help, and your father needs help caring for your mother and the house in France is an obstacle, which needs to be removed.

The house is not the obstacle to this family getting health care, it's the fact they have done nothing for years to qualify for health care or benefits in either France or the UK; and even now, if they could, they would hang on to the house instead of selling it to pay for health care for the mother.

I've never read threads with such a blatant sense of entitlement.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The house is not the obstacle to this family getting health care, it's the fact they have done nothing for years to qualify for health care or benefits in either France or the UK; and even now, if they could, they would hang on to the house instead of selling it to pay for health care for the mother.
Could be wrong but I think I've just identified tempexpat (I think that was the username), who used to post on another forum a long long time ago, with different problems but the same root cause.

I think we should be charitable because we have vulnerable people here, in a situation that would be stressful even for robust people to handle. Having said that, unless their upcoming meetings with advisors find a loophole for them I really don't see another option for them, and while they can carry on refusing to accept advice, when reality hits you can't refuse to accept it and it could be a car crash. And the one who will suffer most is Mum - who quite apart from anything else, having been the family's sole means of support for years surely she is owed to be treated far far better. People are more important than property.

Please, OP, face up to your responsibilities or get your dad to.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Nov 25th 2017 at 6:58 am.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 7:03 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Could be wrong but I think I've just identified tempexpat (I think that was the username), who used to post on another forum a long long time ago, with slightly different problems but the same root cause.

I think we should be charitable because we have vulnerable people here, in a situation that would be stressful even for robust people to handle. Having said that, unless their upcoming meetings with advisors find a loophole for them I really don't see another option for them, and while they can carry on refusing to accept advice, when reality hits you can't refuse to accept it and it could be a car crash. And the one who will suffer most is Mum - who quite apart from anything else, having been the family's sole means of support for years surely she is owed to be treated far far better. People are more important than property.

Please, OP, face up to your responsibilities or get your dad to.

I have every sympathy with the OP and her dilemma, but, as mentioned on the MBTTUK thread, frustration is setting in, since our collective advice isn't going on-board.
Mum's well-being should be the top priority.