Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Dad in hospital in France/ Advice needed

Dad in hospital in France/ Advice needed

Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dad in hospital in France/ Advice needed

"Paid his dues"? You do not understand how health cover works.

Many British citizens just assume that "Abroad" will provide NHS-type cover. Not so. there is a huge amount of information available online now. If you can read and have basic computer search skills you can find out what the position is. Ignorance of the rules is not a defence.

Last edited by scot47; Feb 7th 2018 at 2:44 am.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TandD2017
To be fair he has paid his dues already for health care within Europe & is living within the European Union. ....
Philosophically you may be correct, but the system doesn't work that way. Each country in Europe has its own way of qualifying for, and paying for health insurance, and with very limited exceptions (typically where a national government agrees to pay for Healthcare in another country), having "paid in" in one country doesn't entitle you to health treatment in another country.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Exp76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You'll need your S1 in order to get your carte vitale. You can obtain your S1 before you move however.
What interests me is the period between the time you arrive in France with S1 in hand and the time when your application for a CV is processed by the French authorities. You are in France with an S1, so that means no longer covered by the NHS but without a CV. Are you stuck in limbo and therefore uninsured ?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exp76
What interests me is the period between the time you arrive in France with S1 in hand and the time when your application for a CV is processed by the French authorities. You are in France with an S1, so that means no longer covered by the NHS but without a CV. Are you stuck in limbo and therefore uninsured ?
If you have an S1 there is next to no processing to do, you should be given your attestation as soon as you turn up at CPAM with all the necessary documents. If your paperwork is not in order then you need to sort it out quickly but once it is sorted your cover will be backdated to the start date of your S1. And in practice people do sometimes use their EHICs.

If you apply to join the health system as an inactif without an S1, it does take a while and many people take out private health insurance to cover the gap. Alternatively, you can probably get away with using your EHIC if necessary for the first 3 months because the UK doesn't know you've left, and if you're accepted your application will normally be backdated to the date you applied so if you're sure you'll be accepted, you might be prepared to pay upfront and wait to be reimbursed part of the cost.

Freedom of movement doesn't mean everyone can go and live wherever they like, there are conditions attached, and one of the conditions for living in France is that you need to have healthcare in place so that you don't become a burden on the state.

I take your point that he's paid his dues in the UK, but that doesn't help France balance its books if he's never paid anything here and the UK won't reimbuse the costs. The French health service is good, but the money has to come from somewhere. Most of us that live here pay a lot in contributions to be able to use it.

In theory if he owns property France can reclaim any costs due against that, you may have to negotiate.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Feb 7th 2018 at 6:28 am.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP,
The hospital in Toulouse is certainly Purpan. Do you have their phone number? Have you, or are you able to speak to your Dad? If absolutely necessary I could follow this up briefly on your behalf. I'll be in Blagnac (close to Purpan) one afternoon next week if required.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure tbh - He's of the school whereby you don't go the the quacks unless you're dragged there. I know he did access the healthcare system a year and a half back due to a fall (twisted up ankle) and has done for another fall (bruised back bones). I assumed it had been dealt with by the hospital who had claimed off the NHS but appears I am woefully ignorant to the ways of French Healthcare for European citizens.
Hi, sorry to hear about your dilemma.
As stated, your Dad really should have got into the French Social Security System or taken out private healthcare insurance long ago.
According to French Law, children are financially responsible for their parents' welfare and you and possible siblings may well have to pay any Hospital (and possibly Ambulance and other) bills if he can't pay upfront.
His circumstances aren't clear - has he been filing French Income Tax Declarations since he became resident? (all worldwide income must be declared, wherever it happens to be taxed) He obviously hasn't been paying "Côtisations" (S.S. Contributions), and it sounds as though he's been living under the radar all this time....
TP very kindly offered to make enquiries at Purpan, but the Accounts Dept. might not offer much info to non-family. Have you got siblings in the UK (or Europe) who could look into the problem on the spot?
P.S. The after-care costs (nurses, carers, physiotherapists, home help if he lives alone ....) should also be considered if he hasn't got coverage....
Hope you get everything sorted quickly, it's bad enough having a distant parent in hospital, and none of you need a financial issue, to boot.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

Corky33 mentioned the SSAFA in France and provided their phone number. In case you missed it that is the Armed Forces Charity. Their number in UK is 0800 7314880. They may be able to help at least with contacting the French organisation on your/his behalf in case there is anything they can do. Good luck with it all.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:13 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exp76
As mentioned you can use your EHIC to cover the few days you might be without a carte vitale. If you've got your S1 then the NHS has agreed to pay and any treatment you may need in between is likely to be back dated if necessary.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair he has paid his dues already for health care within Europe & is living within the European Union. He is getting treatment at least though.
Not really true, he has paid in the UK and that covers him for treatment in the UK as a RESIDENT, it does not cover him for treatment in any other country because each country has totally different rules, if he had been a state pensioner he could have returned to the UK and been treated via the NHS, but to get reciprocal treatment in France he would have had to have an S1 form, which id only available for those of STATE pension age, even that does NOT give FREE treatment but just treatment in the same way that people of that age would get in the country they live in. Paying into the UK system gives no rights to people not of pension age living in any other EU country, in the same way as it doesn't for people from the EU living in the UK. The EHIC card is for people VISITING another EU country and gives limited rights, emergency treatment etc. He has, unfortunately, shot himself in the foot as to getting treatment in France, his best solution is, as has been suggested earlier, to contact the SSAFA.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alianco
Corky33 mentioned the SSAFA in France and provided their phone number. In case you missed it that is the Armed Forces Charity. Their number in UK is 0800 7314880. They may be able to help at least with contacting the French organisation on your/his behalf in case there is anything they can do. Good luck with it all.
When I checked it in the "Pages Jaunes - Annuaire Inversé" for an address, the 05 number that Corky gave was indicated as invalid. In any case, if not ringing within France, it should read: 0033 5 53 24 92 38. The OP lives in the Caribbean and it might not be possible to ring a UK 0800 number, but they can ask advice by mail: [email protected].
All the best to all concerned.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

corky33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I should have put +33 but the number I gave is correct and I have checked it with the SSAFA Website. You can also ring SSAFA UK on +44 207 463 9354. I am sure they will be able to give you good advice.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by corky33
Sorry I should have put +33 but the number I gave is correct and I have checked it with the SSAFA Website. You can also ring SSAFA UK on +44 207 463 9354. I am sure they will be able to give you good advice.
Maybe the number is ex-Directory? Each time I entered the number in different ways, the Pages Jaunes asked for a valid number...
For what it's worth, the départements corresponding to numbers beginning with 05 53 are Dordogne and Lot & Garonne.
Whatever, the OP will be more comfortable ringing the UK number...
Old Feb 7th 2018, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As mentioned you can use your EHIC to cover the few days you might be without a carte vitale. If you've got your S1 then the NHS has agreed to pay and any treatment you may need in between is likely to be back dated if necessary.
Just to be clear, the CV is an electronic convenience which commonly takes several months to turn up after you have successfully registered with CPAM and the attestation you receive from them is what actually entitles you to healthcare.

Assuming your paperwork is in order that can be delivered in as little as a few days and will be backdated to the date of the application so any treatment or medication received in the interim can be reclaimed by submitting the receipts.

BTW and not wishing to pry, if it's a cancer issue then it would be worth contacting Cancersupportfrance.org who are there precisely for such things.

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Feb 7th 2018 at 7:07 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 8:02 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure tbh - He's of the school whereby you don't go the the quacks unless you're dragged there. I know he did access the healthcare system a year and a half back due to a fall (twisted up ankle) and has done for another fall (bruised back bones). I assumed it had been dealt with by the hospital who had claimed off the NHS but appears I am woefully ignorant to the ways of French Healthcare for European citizens.
If he didn't have to pay for these treatments, can one assume he is in the French health system ?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Annetje
If he didn't have to pay for these treatments, can one assume he is in the French health system ?
Still unsure. Details a bit wishy washy just because I am so far away and relying on others to feedback info. Hopefully will know more soon. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.