CT advice

Old Aug 6th 2017, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

DayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to behold
Default CT advice

We may have a problem. We moved back to the UK in May and dad was unsure what to do with the French car. He has now decided it would be best to leave it at the airport in France and later sell it rather than convert it to UK spec.

The CT is due the 3rd September and my mum has been admitted to hospital with an expected release date of the 18th August assuming care can be found for her. There could be a potential that she may have to stay for months as they won't release her until care is sorted (and we now rent in an area where it is difficult to get home care)

I suggested to dad, the worst case would be to drive to the ports and get it done there, but if mum stays in hospital for longer
  1. Would the French be lienent as to why we could not have done it in time (guessing not)?
  2. Can we get the CT done at the port, and if we need a second rendez-vous, go to another branch of the same group to get the CT passed (i.e. one near the port and one near home in Limousin so dad can check on the house and leave the car at the airport)?
  3. Can you usually get a CT rendez-vous on the day or is it better to make one by phone before going over?
I hope someone can help, I am just hoping it will all work out re mum in hospital and getting the car done
Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CT advice

I would say your first priority is your Mum.
If you are still actually going to use the car or it's actually worth something then somebody needs to go over asap and get it sorted before expiration.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DayPerson
We may have a problem. We moved back to the UK in May and dad was unsure what to do with the French car. He has now decided it would be best to leave it at the airport in France and later sell it rather than convert it to UK spec.

The CT is due the 3rd September and my mum has been admitted to hospital with an expected release date of the 18th August assuming care can be found for her. There could be a potential that she may have to stay for months as they won't release her until care is sorted (and we now rent in an area where it is difficult to get home care)

I suggested to dad, the worst case would be to drive to the ports and get it done there, but if mum stays in hospital for longer
  1. Would the French be lienent as to why we could not have done it in time (guessing not)?
  2. Can we get the CT done at the port, and if we need a second rendez-vous, go to another branch of the same group to get the CT passed (i.e. one near the port and one near home in Limousin so dad can check on the house and leave the car at the airport)?
  3. Can you usually get a CT rendez-vous on the day or is it better to make one by phone before going over?
I hope someone can help, I am just hoping it will all work out re mum in hospital and getting the car done
To address your queries:
1. I'm sure the authorities would not be sympathetic to offer an extended perion.
2. Yes. And the contre-controle after rectification can be performed by any recognised centre.
3. You are advided to tel for a rdv a day or two before, although you may be lucky and a request made a.m may result in a test later the same day. 4. Note that the cost is variable between €60 and €90.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I'm confused by your post.
Where is the car now? Parked at an airport in France?
Where are you, where is your mum, are you all in the UK?
You can get a CT done at any CT station but you probably need to make an appointment. CT stations are usually booked solid a couple of days ahead, so you can't often just walk in and get one done on the spot, although if they did happen to have a vacant slot when you turned up no doubt they'd fit you in. Likewise the contre visite, you can have it done anywhere (only advantage in taking it back to the place that did the original test is they might retest it for free).
You don't have to wait till the expiry date to get it tested.

As said, don't stress about this, put your mum first. When you get chance, I suggest you arrange to take it to a CT station near where it currently is. Retest are only imposed for fairly serious faults. Presumably it's in reasonable nick or you wouldn't be bothering keeping it, so as long as everything works it shouldn't need to go back. If the worst comes to the worst and you don't find time to do it before the CT expires, and you have the bad luck to be pulled up for driving it with no CT, I think it's a 4th class fine and AFAIK no points are deducted. It's not a biggie as these things go, they won't chop your heads off.
Just make sure your dad is aware that he needs to keep it insured, because owning an uninsured car even if you don't drive it is potentially a far more serious offence in France than driving an insured car with no CT, with a correspondingly higher fine.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 9:49 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Must admit I'm confused by your post.
Where is the car now? Parked at an airport in France?
Where are you, where is your mum, are you all in the UK?
You can get a CT done at any CT station but you probably need to make an appointment. CT stations are usually booked solid a couple of days ahead, so you can't often just walk in and get one done on the spot, although if they did happen to have a vacant slot when you turned up no doubt they'd fit you in. Likewise the contre visite, you can have it done anywhere (only advantage in taking it back to the place that did the original test is they might retest it for free).
You don't have to wait till the expiry date to get it tested.

As said, don't stress about this, put your mum first. When you get chance, I suggest you arrange to take it to a CT station near where it currently is. Retest are only imposed for fairly serious faults. Presumably it's in reasonable nick or you wouldn't be bothering keeping it, so as long as everything works it shouldn't need to go back. If the worst comes to the worst and you don't find time to do it before the CT expires, and you have the bad luck to be pulled up for driving it with no CT, I think it's a 4th class fine and AFAIK no points are deducted. It's not a biggie as these things go, they won't chop your heads off.
Just make sure your dad is aware that he needs to keep it insured, because owning an uninsured car even if you don't drive it is potentially a far more serious offence in France than driving an insured car with no CT, with a correspondingly higher fine.
I was under the impression the retest fee was an officially set figure and can't be waived.......
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

DayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to behold

Mums just come out of hospital so dad can go back soon and do it (we are in the UK so no good going local)