Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Crepi exterior paint

Crepi exterior paint

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crepi exterior paint

I am no expert - although I have done enough painting now to qualify.
For my two pennorth, good paint is not cheap and usually does the job - UK and French. Cheap paint does not.
I have had good results from Sikkens here, for exterior wood effect finishes. I have not bought the coloured paints. (But I bought in the UK as it is a fraction of the price).
UK Dulux has been awful - although Dulux Valentine has been excellent on the outside and the interior. Johnstones and Leyland have been good - except the water based ones which have been rubbish.
I would imagine Sandtex would be fine - but what i generally do is riung the factories - except Dulux who are ICI and where an old pal of mine used to work in the paint lab.
#
The general complaint I hear with exterior paint here is that the UK ones need repainting much sooner, as the paint is not made for the extremes of climate. My Dulux Valentine external is on its eighth year, and has faded, but is otherwise fine. The Johnstones is on its third and looking tired, but otherwise okay.
The Crepi they did with a Weber mix. It looks great and they say I will not need to worry for ten years. We shall see - I do have a decennale, and he is much younger than I!
Old May 24th 2014, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Chris.J is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Crepi exterior paint

High Quality Paint Supply- not sure if this thread is dead or alive! I have had ample decorating experience for me that is, and some pretty annoying moments starting a job after purchasing poor quality paint. Due to that my advice would be buy the best quality. Painting materials are relatively cheap in relation to the time/labour required to make a decent job. The other thing that I have learned and I self branded my memory with is- after going to the trouble of making good preparation, then priming, base coating and a final sanding- the top coat that looks the best and lasts the longest is undoubtedly the best quality and the one that saves me doing it again for the most years possible
Old May 24th 2014, 8:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of doing some exterior renovations this year. Does the collective have any comments on this paint?

http://produits.bricomarche.com/pein...ra-resist.html

We've used Dulux Valentine interior with success in the past.
Old May 25th 2014, 6:51 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, our Maçon highly recommends Parex Lanko crepi mix and exterior paint when it comes to starting painting the house. Big Mat does it, if you have one locally? Or we found a store that does it called Zolpan paint which sells this too. He brought a crepi paint chart round with an extensive colour range. We for sure will be using this.
Old May 25th 2014, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

NC a fairly ignorant two pennyworth from me. Exterior wood work I used water base Johnstones Aquaseal as, only knowing Dulux from the UK (I had a pal who worked in paint development), I dismissed Dulux Valentine.

The people we bought the house from had done a (very) partial renovation and used Dulux Valentine on the windows they replaced in 2003/4. It has faded, but is still quite serviceable. The Johnstones has not faded, but is peeling and needs repainting. Johnstones water based paints are not a patch on their earlier products. Interestingly they have now widened their range again. Dulux Valentine appears to be a much superior product to that sold in the UK.

Crepi I cannot help with. Our macon stripped all the old crepi off and re-crepied with Weber which pre- incorporates the colour. He says that it has a superior life. Just 6 months on it is a bit early to tell.

Everyone tells me for exterior wood (not painted) to use Sikkens Cetol. If you can get them over from the UK, they are a lot cheaper. As are most paints.

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/
Old May 25th 2014, 8:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
NC a fairly ignorant two pennyworth from me. Exterior wood work I used water base Johnstones Aquaseal as, only knowing Dulux from the UK (I had a pal who worked in paint development), I dismissed Dulux Valentine.

The people we bought the house from had done a (very) partial renovation and used Dulux Valentine on the windows they replaced in 2003/4. It has faded, but is still quite serviceable. The Johnstones has not faded, but is peeling and needs repainting. Johnstones water based paints are not a patch on their earlier products. Interestingly they have now widened their range again. Dulux Valentine appears to be a much superior product to that sold in the UK.

Crepi I cannot help with. Our macon stripped all the old crepi off and re-crepied with Weber which pre- incorporates the colour. He says that it has a superior life. Just 6 months on it is a bit early to tell.

Everyone tells me for exterior wood (not painted) to use Sikkens Cetol. If you can get them over from the UK, they are a lot cheaper. As are most paints.

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/
Thanks. The job I have in mind is repainting sandstone.
Old May 26th 2014, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, no experience there. I will be interested to hear how you get on.