Reload this Page >

Crepi exterior paint

Crepi exterior paint

Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:43 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crepi exterior paint

Has anyone any experience of a great brand of paint for exterior house Crepi please? We need to paint our house this Spring, and need a good brand that comes recommended, and also an idea where it can be purchased please? My experience of indoor room paint France is hugely overpriced and absolute rubbish!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crepi exterior paint

I will ask today. I am having the crepi removed and re-done. so will ask them. If they turn up - the wind here is pretty violent

Indoor paint, I think is EITHER overpriced OR rubbish. Sometimes both. As, I suspect is outdoor.
I have brought over UK paint for the inside stuff, but a pal of mine who works in the ICI paint division says the spec is completely different for French outdoor paint. That the climactic conditions here are about the worst you can find for paint, so it is best to bite the bullet and pay the price. Or paint twice as often.

Best to shop around, there should be promotions coming up as the DIY season approaches. Otherwise you might wind up buying the stuff I saw in Decors et Tissues - 180 Euros for 10 litres And after visiting the Sikkens shop I did not sleep for weeks.

P.S. You can get some of the Sikkens and Tollens stuff in the UK, and have it brought over. Not sure about the spec though. I use someone called decorating warehouse.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:24 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Tollens paint is utter rubbish. I have used it in our lounge, and ought around 10 tins.....you can guess how much that cost! Our builder has given us a quote for Parex - Lanko blanc casse which he recommended spraying, but we are aiming to do it ourselves, so rollering would be better! I am worried we will start it and struggle to do it, as crepi seems very porous when it comes to painting the stuff! Thanks
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:30 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
Tollens paint is utter rubbish. I have used it in our lounge, and ought around 10 tins.....you can guess how much that cost! Our builder has given us a quote for Parex - Lanko blanc casse which he recommended spraying, but we are aiming to do it ourselves, so rollering would be better! I am worried we will start it and struggle to do it, as crepi seems very porous when it comes to painting the stuff! Thanks
Yes I would think Parex Lanko would be very suitable since they also make crépis. And the choice of colour is very good - it's what I've chosen for my next house There's far too many yellow houses here!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:34 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Ours is rose sable and just to pink for my liking. Devis seems to range from 5,000 - 15,000 euros. Madeness!!!! Will do it ourselves. Luckily our house is a manageable height, if that makes sense??
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:58 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. I'm crépis-ing two new small houses (450m2 in total) for €10,800 HT. Masked up, sprayed with 2 coats, total 1cm thickness and then frotassé. Maybe you have more prep work to be done or maybe my guy has done his numbers wrong.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:03 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

He is either Dyscalculia or he thought he saw us coming! Needless to say he has not got our approval for painting the house, however he came out with a reasonable quote for repairing the crepi on the chimney. As with all devis, they have included pressure washing, filling cracks etc, but be it 5,000 or 15,000 that could make for a lovely holiday or 2! Maybe he thought we looked like a desperate english couple struggling for devis! Needless to say we aren't, and not gullible either!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:47 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
He is either Dyscalculia or he thought he saw us coming! Needless to say he has not got our approval for painting the house, however he came out with a reasonable quote for repairing the crepi on the chimney. As with all devis, they have included pressure washing, filling cracks etc, but be it 5,000 or 15,000 that could make for a lovely holiday or 2! Maybe he thought we looked like a desperate english couple struggling for devis! Needless to say we aren't, and not gullible either!
I don't know how big your house is but our neighbour had whole house exterior insulation fitted and epoxy and crepi put on for about 12k
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:23 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Trust me....just a simple paint job and a house that is 198m2 coming out at 15,000 euros is a complete rip off! I wonder how many people get sucked in by these people. If they did not offer such a good quote for a chimney repair I would of told them where they can put their painting devis!!!! Seems getting chimney render repair work in this area is hard to come by. Some jobs are just too small for maçons.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:09 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

I am interested to know anyone that has painted their own home and their techniques, and what preparation was done before you did so please? I understand an antibacterial agent isused and then a primer. Is that right, as the devis we have suggest this?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:21 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by jvc
I am interested to know anyone that has painted their own home and their techniques, and what preparation was done before you did so please? I understand an antibacterial agent isused and then a primer. Is that right, as the devis we have suggest this?
I don't know but I did find this advice on a French website which suggests spraying a bleach solution on the wall:-

Pour nettoyer un mur, le karcher n'est pas indiqué car tu vas esquinter
ton crépi et le résultat sera moche.
La solution est de le passer à l'eau de javel.
Tu trouveras dans les magasins de bricolage de l'eau de javel un peu
plus concentrée en bidon de 25 l spéciale pour le nettoyage des murs.
Tu la pulvérise sur tes murs avec un pulvérisateur de jardin et tu
verras au bout de 5mn ton mur est redevenu comme neuf.
Il est fort possible que tu n'auras rien d'autre à faire.

Il n'y a pas besoin de rincer, c'est comme on veut,
mais si on rince on risque de répandre la javel sur
le gazon ou autre.
Ce produit détruit toutes les mousses, champignons
et algues qui se développent et font des traces noires,
rouges et autres.
La partie qui coule au pied du mur permet de tuer
toute la mousse et les saloperies et on a un mur
impeccable, comme neuf.

Avant que je connaisse ce procédé, je l'avais fait
au karcher, j'ai fait beaucoup de dégâts, ce n'était
pas parfait, j'avais mis plus longtemps et il fallait
voir dans quel état j'en sortait.

I'm not sure whether a primer is required but I guess the Pardeco paint will give advice on this.

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Feb 13th 2014 at 4:24 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:27 pm
Hostage Negotiator

On re-reading the advice I'm not sure about the garden sprayer. My sprayer has an aluminium tube which I think reacts rather strongly with bleach!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

As it happens, I have one of those bidons. I might try this on one of the old garden walls. Thank you.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:02 pm
Hostage Negotiator

In a similar vein my printer leaked ink over the floor (travertine) this week. Nothing would get it off so I left a weak bleach solution on the stain for 3 days and now it has completely disappeared and the travertine seems to be completely unaffected.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

miss limousin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Crepi exterior paint

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I will ask today. I am having the crepi removed and re-done. so will ask them. If they turn up - the wind here is pretty violent

Indoor paint, I think is EITHER overpriced OR rubbish. Sometimes both. As, I suspect is outdoor.
I have brought over UK paint for the inside stuff, but a pal of mine who works in the ICI paint division says the spec is completely different for French outdoor paint. That the climactic conditions here are about the worst you can find for paint, so it is best to bite the bullet and pay the price. Or paint twice as often.

Best to shop around, there should be promotions coming up as the DIY season approaches. Otherwise you might wind up buying the stuff I saw in Decors et Tissues - 180 Euros for 10 litres And after visiting the Sikkens shop I did not sleep for weeks.

P.S. You can get some of the Sikkens and Tollens stuff in the UK, and have it brought over. Not sure about the spec though. I use someone called decorating warehouse.
I bought some Sandtex over for my exterior, but haven't used it yet. Would I be wasting time using it on crepi? The stone back wall which is only 2 narrow strips either side of the neighbour's lean-to is being repointed. 16m2 for €63 per m2 HT. How does that price compare? Is re-pointing the stone cheaper or dearer than crepi? Thanks for any feedback.
Sorry, just seen a previous post re pointing/crepi costs.
Still would like advice re Sandtex though, thanks.

Last edited by miss limousin; Mar 2nd 2014 at 3:02 pm. Reason: further info-previous post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.