Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Cremation in France

Cremation in France

Old Nov 27th 2016, 12:22 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cremation in France

I've just noticed that the "Death in France" thread in the above FAQs has been closed.
Hence this link, prompted by a recent thread on cremation on the Portugal forum:
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F1558
which gives info on cremation in France and regulations on the disposal of the ashes. The Mairie can also give info on any additional local bye-laws. Admittedly not a subject one likes to think about, but essential to know for older expats' next-of-kin, wherever they are.
From experience (deceased neighbour without next-of-kin whose UK "partner" decided against a burial), you have to declare to the Mairie where you intend to disperse the ashes. She declared "en plein nature", but a group of us did the honours discreetly in her adjacent field. When she herself died in the UK, her children brought back her ashes to scatter them, equally discreetly, at the Cross at the top of a cliff overlooking the village, in accordance with her wishes. Discretion and environmental awareness are the keys.....
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 10:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cremation in France

The above link doesn't mention a fact, which I only learned yesterday. (I didn't attend my late neighbour's cremation and his partner didn't tell me).
Before a cremation, the Police must close the open coffin and officially seal it. This is firstly to ensure that the right body is in the coffin () but also, if there's the slightest suspicion as to the cause of death which might result in an exhumation, a body can't be cremated. This reminded me of a James Bond film which hardly concerned a 98-year-old English lady, but it's the Law, hence the Police.
Just so you know, if you're involved in a cremation in France....