Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

A country pad - Normandy or afar?

A country pad - Normandy or afar?

Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A country pad - Normandy or afar?

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You can buy a house from 1850, but you'll spend more money and time renovating, that you'll probably never really get to enjoy the surroundings. If the house/project is your life then sure, but if you just want to spend quality free time, is it really worth it.?
Depends on the house. Mine is late 1600s/early 1700s, needed no renovation and hasn't been time-consuming or expensive to maintai. Basically it just needs keeping an eye on and regular Xylophène.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 9:03 am
Just Joined

PeaceSeekingMissile is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep I was going to say the same.

Example
https://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immo...118.htm?ca=4_s

But anyway it's just a choice. Seems moses has integrated ... I understood already that the French don't have the same enthousiasm for old buildings as folk this side of la manche.

But tell me of these surroundings that are to be enjoyed ..... [whilst I'm picking the cement off my hands from the previous days hard labour] ....

ETA: not interested in that house but just an example of one in my area/price that does not need renovating.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

As the OP also mentioned "afar", and "Pyrenees as a test. Towards Spain from Toulouse really is magnificent."
A largely overlooked department is the Gers. Imho an equally magnificent area. Well worth checking out.

Having said that, with the arrival of spring, and the unfolding of many pairs of rose-coloured spectacles, we appear to be seeing an increased interest of late for the purchase of old, inexpensive properties. I thought therefore that it may be relevant to re-issue THIS.
Although it was written with a hint of humour in mind, from experience in perusing a multitude of agent's brochures over the years here, and then visiting many properties for sale, the yukspeak of so many estate agents here should not be underestimated. Not to mention their frequent abysmal 'Kodak Brownie 127' type 'promotional' photos in the window. My points, 5,19,32 & 35 are particularly pertinent.
And if you are detemined to purchase property in France, don't ignore inheritance planning, otherwise it can become a minefield if the beret-clad grim-reaper suddenly decides to pay an unannounced visit........
To quote DMU, forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 11th 2018 at 1:13 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 7:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeaceSeekingMissile
Returning to a question I implied but didn't explicitly ask in the OP:

Where [within a few hours of Dieppe/Calais] is breathtakingly-fabulous in some way?
Honfleur. Etretat. Fécamp, Caudebec-en-Cau: a bit further away, Port-en-Bessin, Bayeux, Coutances, Saint-Vaast-le-Hogue.

I could go on to mention where I llive when I'm in France (which I am again as of yesterday) but it's a secret.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 13th 2018 at 7:15 pm.