Climate

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

01342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Climate

Hi,
We've been considering a move from the UK for a year or 2, Kate is from Africa and has had just about enough of our weather. A move back to Africa isn't really on, it'd be too far from our kids (we have 3 each) and I'm allergic to bullets.
We were looking at Portugal, Crete etc but even they may be a tad too far for frequent visits.
So, since watching Escape to the Continent on the Beeb we're now looking at France, more the SW of France.
Obviously France has its problems but the property prices can't be ignored.
We've both spent some time in France, me mostly riding my bike through it's hedges which at least showed me how good the hospital care is - even if I did keep getting pesky letters demanding payment.
I've read a fair bit on the forum about health care costs, taxation etc but for me, well Kate, the most worrying comments are about the climate.
What happened? When did France get like the UK? Or have we misunderstood?
Can you guys let us know what to expect in, say, Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine or Midi-Pyrénées?
Indeed, are there other areas we should maybe look at that have a better climate but similar accessibility/property prices?

Cheers,

Keith.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate

This is a total myth, mostly arrising from people who have only ever visited France in the summer holidays.

If you go to the southern coast then yes it is much warmer in winter than in the UK come inland a bit more and, although it can be absolutely freezing. However if you choose the right spot you get far far more sunshine than you do in the UK.

Our neck of the woods is pretty good climate-wise as long as your house is properly insulated to withstand the huge variations in extreme heat and cold. It is the light quality nearly all year which is so wonderful and why, of course so many artists live and have lived here. However property prices are much higher nearer the coast.

It has been said many times here that you just must try out aregion to enable you to decide where to live and this needs to be done in all seasons.

If you read French I can give you links to regional climate/weather and to property prices
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:47 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 01342
Hi,
We've been considering a move from the UK for a year or 2, Kate is from Africa and has had just about enough of our weather. A move back to Africa isn't really on, it'd be too far from our kids (we have 3 each) and I'm allergic to bullets.
We were looking at Portugal, Crete etc but even they may be a tad too far for frequent visits.
So, since watching Escape to the Continent on the Beeb we're now looking at France, more the SW of France.
Obviously France has its problems but the property prices can't be ignored.
We've both spent some time in France, me mostly riding my bike through it's hedges which at least showed me how good the hospital care is - even if I did keep getting pesky letters demanding payment.
I've read a fair bit on the forum about health care costs, taxation etc but for me, well Kate, the most worrying comments are about the climate.
What happened? When did France get like the UK? Or have we misunderstood?
Can you guys let us know what to expect in, say, Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine or Midi-Pyrénées?
Indeed, are there other areas we should maybe look at that have a better climate but similar accessibility/property prices?

Cheers,

Keith.
In a thread posted a few years ago CollioureBee post a nice photo of snow on the beach in Collioure christmas time. We regularly could get -15 plus in the Midi Pyrenees in the winter. Yes there is more sunlight and summers are warmer but it can get F'ing cold as well.

And pretty wet as well.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Apr 23rd 2014 at 6:00 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Charente weather is often like the UK but more. It rained here from November till about a month ago. Still only he occasional day when it reaches 20. Last winter was mild but the year before we made between 10 and 15 below for several weeks, and the thick snow stayed on the ground for a month.

But here the summers are very pleasant when they arrive. Not too many days of 40 degrees. And the autumn can stretch out a fair bit.
The trick is to anticipate the weather and prepare for it.

IME, wherever you go you hear that the weather was better ten years ago.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Where we are, it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

I would say we have a proper 4 seasons here rather than the UK's 2 seasons ;-)

Long hot summers and cold winters. Normally we have the sun from April/May until late Oct. This is when we turn on and off the heating really. Heating went off about 2 weeks ago although we do burn the log fire when we're in the front room in the evening.

It was lovely here last week, sunny 26. Today it's cloudy and looking like rain.

I think the main difference here to England, on a sunny day, it's still hot when the sun goes down.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Pondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond repute

for me I think the difference is being able to plan a day. In France you pretty much know what the weather is going to do that day. Yep sometimes it catches you out but on the whole if you wake up and it's sunny outside it'll remain sunny or at least dry for the day.
In the UK you look out the window and it's sunny, light the BBQ, go inside and prepare the meat, come outside and - it's raining.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pondlife
for me I think the difference is being able to plan a day. In France you pretty much know what the weather is going to do that day. Yep sometimes it catches you out but on the whole if you wake up and it's sunny outside it'll remain sunny or at least dry for the day.
In the UK you look out the window and it's sunny, light the BBQ, go inside and prepare the meat, come outside and - it's raining.
So how come I set off walking into town without a coat in bright sunshine this afternoon, then ended up sheltering inside Monsieur Bricolage for 20 mins until the rain eased off enough for me to make a dash for home?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pondlife
Sounds just like Normandy

Some days the weather changes between looking out of different windows . . .
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Pondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
So how come I set off walking into town without a coat in bright sunshine this afternoon, then ended up sheltering inside Monsieur Bricolage for 20 mins until the rain eased off enough for me to make a dash for home?
as I say - sometime it catches you out

The locals who work with me here in China asked if it's true that all English people carry unbrellas. I told them that we don't do that anymore and we have resigned ourselves to being wet the majority of the year and that the English have started to grow webbed feet like frogs. I think they believe me hehehe
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

PL, we spent a couple of years in Northern Spain - Galicia to be precise.

There everyone DOES carry umbrellas. Every day. Without fail. I have even seen people with them in the middle of August in 40 degrees.

They don't call it Green Spain without a reason. Lovely countryside, fabulous coastline, marvellous people. But it DOES rain.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Biggsie,
We were in The Picos de Europa birdwatching a couple of years ago and I have never seen rain like it!. If you get down on that stretch of coast (a bit along from Santander), the beaches are even better than the Vendée!
Blackie
PS how's the far North of Charente doing?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

North Charente? Ne'er cast a clout till May be out!

Wise words and there is no hawthorn anyway.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:40 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
North Charente? Ne'er cast a clout till May be out!

Wise words and there is no hawthorn anyway.
Hi, the French version is "En avril, ne te découvre pas d'un fil. En mai, fais ce qu'il te plaît".
But this year, I think the English version will be applicable here, even in the Languedoc!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Our neighbour (85 year old ex ballerina) said in January Noel sur le balcon, Paques au tison, and reminds me of that every time I see her.

I am teaching her "Ne jamais jetez de vetement avant qu'on voit l'aubepine" but it lacks the ambiguity of the original.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

and indeed the hawthorn is in full bloom here now - but it's rather chilly today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.