Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Claiming benefits in France

Claiming benefits in France

Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Debra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Claiming benefits in France

If you were working under the AE regime (contributions based upon a percentage of your turnover) then you would be entitled to healthcare and to receive family benefits from France. Allocation Familiales is 129,35 € for two children. There are supplements as the children get older. See here Les allocations familiales (Af) | caf.fr

There is also a supplement called 'complement familiale' which differs according to income. See here Le complément familial(Cf) | caf.fr

Each school year there is a payment per schooled child to help with costs of school materials. This differs depending upon your income too. See here L’allocation de rentrée scolaire (Ars) | caf.fr

That's the standard allowances for kids, that I know of. If you're working you can also claim RSA if your income is low. I know people who are AEs do get this but I've read on forums of people who were refused it so I'm not sure how it works. It's a top up to make sure you have a certain level of income to live on. See here Montant RSA socle 2014 Septembre

Note that you would only be eligible for all of the above if you are 'active', ie working in some way. As has been suggested, you could be an AE. If you are not active then you are only classed as legally living in France if you have sufficient income to be self sufficient. The RSA amounts mentioned in the above link for your family situation is the amount that you need to be considered self sufficient. If you are inactive and not self sufficient then technically you could be deported after three months. In reality, all that would happen is that you would not be eligible for healthcare by the normal routes. Your only access would be via AME, which is the route to cover people living in an 'irregular', ie illegal, situation in France.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Debra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant future

I should have said, along with carer's allowance and DLA, which are permanently exportable, jobseekers allowance is exportable to France too, for a limited period.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I think the bottom line here is to not even think about moving to France unless you have a guaranteed source of income which will cover all your needs.

Just hoping it will all work itself out is sheer folly and can only lead to disappointment if not complete disaster.

If it were just the two of you then I'd say do what you like but be prepared to suffer the potential consequences but with kids involved, including one with special needs, IMO it would be both selfish and irresponsible.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

She didn't ask opinions on whether she should move but asked what benefits she would be entitled to so that she could make her own decision.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 8:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debra186
I should have said, along with carer's allowance and DLA, which are permanently exportable, jobseekers allowance is exportable to France too, for a limited period.
However with the change from DLA and carers allowance to one single allowance, the government will want to stop the exporting of many of the allowances. I realise the OP wasn't asking whether she should move, just on waht benefits she would be entitled to get, but given the facts, the posters suggesting that moving isn't a really sensible option without a job and good income lined up, and just being helpful. At the end of the day, the OP will make up her own mind, but the sensible option is being pointed out given what we have been told.

Last edited by mikelincs; Sep 19th 2014 at 10:04 am.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debra186
She didn't ask opinions on whether she should move but asked what benefits she would be entitled to so that she could make her own decision.
That is absolutely correct but the OP originally said "for the first few months upon arrival in France, my husband will be working with his brother in law to earn some money, so i was wondering what benefits, if any, we could claim?", and claiming UK benefits abroad without making yourself known to the host country's social security system, may not work.