Reload this Page >

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:34 am
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You have to take a minor medical in Spain all through your life. It validates your licence, Spanish OR UK
That's at least a control on drivers with problems. Do you have to change your licence in Spain the same as France or is the ruling again different.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Which is why I'll be hanging on to my UK licence for as long as possible, even if it means thumbing my nose at DVLA et al and renewing when the say I shouldn't.

Still, I've got a handful of years to go yet before I come to that bridge
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:43 am
Robert

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Which is why I'll be hanging on to my UK licence for as long as possible, even if it means thumbing my nose at DVLA et al and renewing when the say I shouldn't.

Yes it is understandable.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:04 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er

I'm with Im_and_Er, but I already have one foot on the bridge!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kontiki
That's at least a control on drivers with problems. Do you have to change your licence in Spain the same as France or is the ruling again different.
There is a reciprocal agreement, so you can keep a valid UK licence in Spain even though it doesnt have your correct address. I reiterate though, even if you have a UK licence you have to undergo the minor medical test ... which in truth is a sight and reaction test that takes a very short period of time
Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:58 am
Robert

Today I received a letter from the DVLA and it confirms a certain point that may or may not be of interest.

I can confirm that it is not acceptable to put an alternative GB address on an application form if you are no longer resident here.

In addition to make a false declaration can incur a maximum penalty of two years in prison and failing to provide information is an offence that could lead to a fine of £1000.

It is also an offence to drive in the UK with an expired photo licence, which does not mean that your paper licence has expired but the photo part of the licence needs renewal. This also can incur a fine if the police prosecute you.

Anyone wishing to have a copy of this letter I can arrange to post the whole letter.

Last edited by Kontiki; Dec 17th 2011 at 7:59 am. Reason: typing error
Old Dec 17th 2011, 8:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Today I received a letter from the DVLA and it confirms a certain point that may or may not be of interest.

I can confirm that it is not acceptable to put an alternative GB address on an application form if you are no longer resident here.

In addition to make a false declaration can incur a maximum penalty of two years in prison and failing to provide information is an offence that could lead to a fine of £1000.

It is also an offence to drive in the UK with an expired photo licence, which does not mean that your paper licence has expired but the photo part of the licence needs renewal. This also can incur a fine if the police prosecute you.

Anyone wishing to have a copy of this letter I can arrange to post the whole letter.

I think most people know that
Heres the latest update ... I know it relates to Spain, but most of it is standard re licences renewal

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...-in-spain/cars
Old Dec 17th 2011, 8:59 am
Robert

I rather got the impression that they did not know what risk's were involved, for me it is no bother to change over but I think Brits don't like to give their British licence up, bit like loosing an arm or something.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:32 am
Senior Moment

I rather got the impression that they did not know what risk's were involved, for me it is no bother to change over but I think Brits don't like to give their British licence up, bit like loosing an arm or something.
I get the impression a lot know, but choose to keep it anyway
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:07 pm
Robert

Yes you could indeed be right
Old Dec 17th 2011, 4:19 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't checked out the links posted, but I assume the statement regarding the above is about 'lying' when making an application/renewal, so can one assume a UK address on a current pohoto licence is not breaking the law? I agree there is a lot of fudging going on and certainly there is abuse of the six month vehicle registration. I also recognise there are those who maintain either their UK or France address as their permanent residence to suit things like national/income tax and other taxes levied locally.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 6:29 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by cjm
I haven't checked out the links posted, but I assume the statement regarding the above is about 'lying' when making an application/renewal, so can one assume a UK address on a current pohoto licence is not breaking the law? I agree there is a lot of fudging going on and certainly there is abuse of the six month vehicle registration. I also recognise there are those who maintain either their UK or France address as their permanent residence to suit things like national/income tax and other taxes levied locally.

I havent read or heard of anyone to date that has been prosecuted for such a thing.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 6:36 pm
Robert

cjm

The letter from the DVLC.Is where the statement comes from.
  1. You may use a UK licence in France if resident until it needs to be updated, either for the photo or it has expired.
  2. If in this period that you reside in France your licence needs to be updated either for a new photo or because it has expired, you are by law obliged to apply for a French licence.
  3. If you decide at a later date to go back to the UK, you have one year in which to re-apply for your UK licence which will still be valid, no new test or things like that.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 6:54 pm
Senior Moment

cjm

The letter from the DVLC.Is where the statement comes from.
  1. You may use a UK licence in France if resident until it needs to be updated, either for the photo or it has expired.
  2. If in this period that you reside in France your licence needs to be updated either for a new photo or because it has expired, you are by law obliged to apply for a French licence.
  3. If you decide at a later date to go back to the UK, you have one year in which to re-apply for your UK licence which will still be valid, no new test or things like that.
So, do we know what the prosecution rates are for people updating their licences so that they have a valid contactable UK address rather than one they left years ago?
Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Probably zero !

I have heard it said that with today's reasonably joined up systems the DVLA database is linked to others such that an individuals residential status, as recorded by HMRC against your NI number, is indicated.

Turning the question upside down has anybody who is French resident and getting their interest and/or pensions paid gross successfully applied for a licence renewal using a bogus UK address ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.