Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I disagree, I have had a DVLA member of staff ask if there is a relatives address I can use for a Replacement License. It is a issue that DVLA is aware of and plans to resolve. How is it a hassle conning them as you put it to Apply for a replacement?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022085
I can't help it if DVLA staff break their own rules however helpful their motives.

Unfortunately your link simply covers replacement for a UK resident so is disingenuous to the argument. If however you use the interactive tool the first question it asks is;

Are you?
In Great Britain
Temporarily abroad
Permanently abroad

And if you answer permanently it tells you

'the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is unable to issue a duplicate driving licence as you are no longer resident in Great Britain (GB)'

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Mo...A0+Next%C2%A0+
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:13 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
I can't help it if DVLA staff break their own rules however helpful their motives.

Unfortunately your link simply covers replacement for a UK resident so is disingenuous to the argument. If however you use the interactive tool the first question it asks is;

Are you?
In Great Britain
Temporarily abroad
Permanently abroad

And if you answer permanently it tells you

'the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is unable to issue a duplicate driving licence as you are no longer resident in Great Britain (GB)'

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Mo...A0+Next%C2%A0+

Im not arguing, I was merely pointing out what a member of the DVLA staff had said to me. Im happy with the method I used. And I will leave it at that.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

RichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud of

I realise I am going off topic here, but I have been reading through the posts and have to agree totally with Im"n" Er.

You are now living in France, France is your ruddy home, for goodness sake embrace it, blasted driving licence and all. This, to me , is a stereo-typical "Brit Pack" attitude ------ I live here but want all things English ----- I bet those that are complaining, when they go back to the U.K. to stock up on ------------"all things English" ------------- Every shop employee will be told ----- " ohh were only buying in bulk because we live in France " ------------- (( smug look of superiority as it is said)). Get real people, either embrace the country --- the system --- the attitudes --- or sod off back whence you came.

P.S. To the administrator, I apologise for the language and for going "off topic" but these "Brit Pack types are a pain.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:25 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardP
I realise I am going off topic here, but I have been reading through the posts and have to agree totally with Im"n" Er.

You are now living in France, France is your ruddy home, for goodness sake embrace it, blasted driving licence and all. This, to me , is a stereo-typical "Brit Pack" attitude ------ I live here but want all things English ----- I bet those that are complaining, when they go back to the U.K. to stock up on ------------"all things English" ------------- Every shop employee will be told ----- " ohh were only buying in bulk because we live in France " ------------- (( smug look of superiority as it is said)). Get real people, either embrace the country --- the system --- the attitudes --- or sod off back whence you came.

P.S. To the administrator, I apologise for the language and for going "off topic" but these "Brit Pack types are a pain.
Lets get a few things straight
I live in Spain
I embraced Spanish culture, I don't do "Brit pack"
I don't buy British foods, I rarely go in British restaurants and I avoid British Clubs like the plague. I am fully registered "resident" with the authorities and I pay my taxes here as and when required. I speak Spanish, albeit not as well as I should do.

However I have no reason to change my driving licence. Its my choice. Its nothing to do with what you smugly stated above, it's for personal reasons which I choose not to go into here.

So rather than come on here and judge people when you don't even know us I suggest you make your point in an intelligent friendly manner rather than as a relatively new poster and making huge assumptions based on little knowledge

So if you think I am a pain, then I am sorry, thats your uninformed problem .... and I accept your apology
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by RichardP
I realise I am going off topic here,

, I apologise.
It's Ok everyone goes off topic from time to time, All things considered no matter what country anyone lives it is their right to live in what ever manner they see fit within reason.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Dec 1st 2010 at 9:05 am.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I have read all 5 pages of forum replies and still confused! We are moving to France in July, my husband will be on a french contract with his job, to make matters worse I am picking up a new car in the UK a week before our move. Our aim is to put the cars on french insurance, (which is sorted), and then our drivers licences in the UK are due to expire in August. The DVLA seemed pretty useless, and it seemed so complicated. We are keeping a home in the UK for 12 months, but renting in France for a year, until we decide if France is for us.
What organisation do I need to speak to, to get some firm answers to this? I know that French insurance get a bit twitchy after a year if you don't get your british car put on to french plates, but just don't know who to contact about all of this. I am paranoid of getting stopped in France with the incorrect documentation, or even back home in the UK, if we decided to come back for a couple of days??
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:54 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbi2
OK, I have read all 5 pages of forum replies and still confused! We are moving to France in July, my husband will be on a french contract with his job, to make matters worse I am picking up a new car in the UK a week before our move. Our aim is to put the cars on french insurance, (which is sorted), and then our drivers licences in the UK are due to expire in August. The DVLA seemed pretty useless, and it seemed so complicated. We are keeping a home in the UK for 12 months, but renting in France for a year, until we decide if France is for us.
What organisation do I need to speak to, to get some firm answers to this? I know that French insurance get a bit twitchy after a year if you don't get your british car put on to french plates, but just don't know who to contact about all of this. I am paranoid of getting stopped in France with the incorrect documentation, or even back home in the UK, if we decided to come back for a couple of days??
Hi Bobbi - welcome, there are a number of helpful documents on line that can advise about timing and registering a UK RHD vehicle. I think your reference to a year on UK plates is stretching it as a permanent resident. I suggest honesty with your insurance company about your plans, perhaps even in writing in case there is a query later on.

Going off-topic a tad, the earlier chat about fines for speeding, prompted a French friend to share a document 'Tolerance des flashs des radars'. For fixed radar there is a 5-7 km/h ladder, while 'radars mobiles' run from 10-14 km/h. So, those with cruise control, enjoy.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest that you renew your licence now.
You currently live at the present address.
It is just for the change of photo I usume.
I have the same problem because you MUST have your licence with you when you drive in France.
My licence expires in August also and I will be changing mine in May/June before I come back to France in July.
You will find it difficult to get french insurance without a certificate of No Claims Bonus which you cant get until you cancel your present insurance = fun.
I managed to get round this because my renewal stated that I had maximum NCB.
Sorry I cant help with re-registering but cjm should have progressed his by now.
You also need to carry your vehicle registration documents and insurance certificate in the vehicle at all times.
You also need yellow vests (kept inside the car - not in the boot) and a triangle.
Someone mentioned that Saga insurance would insure you for a year.
Good luck
I see that cjm has already replied.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:51 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cyrian, not much progress at present. Car off the road. Hunting for LHD headlights at a price that doesn't require all my blood. Thought there may be a cunning lever, but no luck. But web search on-going. Will update in due course.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

What organisation do I need to speak to, to get some firm answers to this?
Dont panic!

You have the insurance sorted.

The driving license can be renewed in the uk now on your uk address and then if you decide to stay you have loads of time to decide if you c=want to swap

I am pretty certain the car should be plated for France; this is onerous but fairly simple. There is a post somewhere here I am sure on changing the license plate on your car ( done at the local Conseil regional/general cost varying according to car

(NB you will need the receipt of sale for the car and a certificate of conformity from the supplier, so keep them handy)

Hope this helps
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Insurance wise French insurance companies are only supposed to insure foreign vehicles temporarily whilst re-registration formalities are being completed. Legally this should be done within one month of moving to France.

One very important point: If a car is under 6 months old or has covered less than 6000km then even though you may have already paid VAT in UK you will be required to pay 19.6% TVA when you register it in France.

Once French registered you should be able to claim the VAT back but it can be a drawn out and frustrating process and of course you have to shell out 19.6% again in the meantime. Of course if you bought tax free for export this will not be necessary.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by cjm
Hi Bobbi - welcome, there are a number of helpful documents on line that can advise about timing and registering a UK RHD vehicle. I think your reference to a year on UK plates is stretching it as a permanent resident. I suggest honesty with your insurance company about your plans, perhaps even in writing in case there is a query later on.

Going off-topic a tad, the earlier chat about fines for speeding, prompted a French friend to share a document 'Tolerance des flashs des radars'. For fixed radar there is a 5-7 km/h ladder, while 'radars mobiles' run from 10-14 km/h. So, those with cruise control, enjoy.
I hope thats the case, I kind of missed a new fixed camera thats been installed on one of our local roads. Ironically didnt see it on the way to, But it was for the other direction and on the way home I caught sight of the new sign informing me of radar control and thought why is that there the camera is on the other side of town 500 yards later I was braking rather abruptly
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:19 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

I hope thats the case, I kind of missed a new fixed camera thats been installed on one of our local roads. Ironically didnt see it on the way to, But it was for the other direction and on the way home I caught sight of the new sign informing me of radar control and thought why is that there the camera is on the other side of town 500 yards later I was braking rather abruptly
KO, I also hear that for fixed cameras which usually offer 1: a big sign saying itsa coming; 2: a sign saying what the road limit is; 3: then the camera - number 2 will not be there. Not yet sure if this is for existing or new camera sites.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by cjm
KO, I also hear that for fixed cameras which usually offer 1: a big sign saying itsa coming; 2: a sign saying what the road limit is; 3: then the camera - number 2 will not be there. Not yet sure if this is for existing or new camera sites.
I done a bit of research, Most of the cameras in France are One Direction only not including Mobile Car mounted systems and the Securite Routiere Map explains the direction that each camera location checks for excess apeed. Two cameras are typically needed for "A" roads for both lanes, Whilst on Motorways it is possible to mount rotatable units. The cameras can tell the difference between vehicle types and can sense weather conditions.

Direction is listed under "sens" when you look at the individual site details.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:52 am
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road

Personally I just sent off for a new one in the UK via my Brothers Address as a work around. I must stress at no point did I mention I was a resident of France. The DVLA agent I spoke to advised me to use a relatives address. As no member state has adopted a system that allow non domiciled license holders to renew. Which is daft really when you impose regulations on those states.
Can I take a little issue regarding this matter, you realise I am sure that this is breaking the law and is not just a matter of naughty person there are severe penaltys and I am sure that someone can state what they are.

To apply for a licence renewal even photo must be resident in the UK and the address you gave is not your place of residence.

Yes we all know it's possible to get away with these things and if you did all well and good and it is not really hurting anybody I suppose, but I am not sure it's a recommendation.

Is This New
Yesterday my son had to make an application for a licence in the prefecture because he did not want to make a false declaration to the UK. All went well and a simple process until the last bit when the lady said do you wish to keep all your categories, ans, yes of course! ok well here's a medical form and a doctor for you to visit, fill the form out we make all the arrangements for you and cost another 33€. ha ha .

But gets to keep his categories you know to tow a trailer and things like that. They were very helpful and even let us stay after the four o'clock limit to finish and that's a first for me anywhere in France.

I feel the thing we should remember I if we are to live in France we need to forget about all the UK paper work and get on with the French paper work no matter how difficult it may seem. You never know but it may be an advantage to show UK police a French licence they may just let you off for a change.

My understanding if you are a resident in France, you may use your UK licence all the time it is valid, if in this period there is a renewal needed then you must by law apply for a French Licence, this also apply's if you gain any points or break the law regarding your licence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.