Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Originally Posted by cjm
Can you explain what a C+74 code gives you?
There are several different codes used but principally the only ones which are relevant to the majority are:

70GB:

70 = exchange licence, GB = original country of issue. Despite the apparently obvious connection the 70 is nothing to do with age.

74 = Category C vehicles up to 7,500kg (equivalent of UK category C1 for light trucks)

75 = Category D vehicles where the number of seats, including the driver, does not exceed 17 (equivalent of UK minibus category)

77 = Category E (D) 17 seaters and towing a trailer whose PTAC exceeds 750kg.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:05 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Extremely helpful, it makes me less nervous about perhaps being obliged to switch licences.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Daisy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, hope someone can help on this - many thanks in advance if you can.

Have recently had UK photolicence stolen and as I no longer have a UK address I applied to the local Prefecture for a French permis.

Forms have just been returned with the suggestions that a) I apply to UK - DVLA will not post a replacement to non-UK addresses,
b) I sign the forms - they were.

Included in the paperwork were photocopies of licence (previously stored) all duly endorsed with "stolen", utility bills, Certificate of Entitlement (£5 from DVLA - they were happy to send/receive that), photos sae etc etc.

Any advice or is the the real Catch-22?

I do not want to get into the realms of using someone else's address having already suffered ID theft myself, is there a legal way round this?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 10:14 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you could do, but others here will be able to advise I feel sure. Welcome to the Forum.
If your documents are sufficient for a French licence, then that is the route I guess. Earlier posts indicate you ought not to lose any of the UK driving permissions.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptun
France has not yet implemented the subcategories C1, C1E, D1, D1E.
So if you have a class C1,
you get a class C with code 74 on the French driving licence according to the 2nd Council Directive of driving licences:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...0080718:EN:PDF
That Directive you've linked to was repealed in 2006 and replaced by Directive 2006/126.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...018:01:EN:HTML
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Daisy2;9007642]Hello everyone, hope someone can help on this - many thanks in advance if you can.

Have recently had UK photolicence stolen and as I no longer have a UK address I applied to the local Prefecture for a French permis.

if they need proof of your uk licence then the dvla will send out a form to show that you had a licence for around 10 euros; this should then get you a french licence easily if you go in with all your other pieces of paper; the only hiccup could be they required us to prove we had been in france for at least a year?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

There is no reason whatsoever for your prefecture to refuse your DVLA letter of entitlement so go back and insist. The letter is only valid for 3 months but I'm assuming you are well within that limit.

I cannot think of any reason why the French would require proof of how long you have been in the country other than possibly a hangover from the mistaken notion that many gendarmes still harbour that a UK licence must be exchanged for a French one after 12 months.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roger O
I echanged my old UK licence some years ago as I live permanently in France anyway.
Now if I were to hire a car in the UK - e.g. to drive from a London airport to Torquay and back - and got picked up for any kind of reaon (parking, speeding etc.) in the UK, what would they do with my legit French licence and would it make any difference if I am a British Citizen domiciled in France?
Anyone know?
I forgot to say above that part of the reason for swapping to French was that I was coming up to 70 and no way I was going to go to the UK for an exam when I could swap for French with indefinite validity! As I hardly ever visit the UK there was no "pain" involved. As to driving London to Torquay, in my present state of health I wouldn't like to try any more anyway, so my young(er) sister can continue to enjoy visits to Carcassonne instead!!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its an important point. If you are living abroad, if you have an ability to register your UK licence to a UK address, then do so rather than leaving it registered to an address where you used to live .... for instance a family home or something like that. In that way you can apply for a new one easily.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

But why fiddle the system at all when you can just get a French licence and be done with it.

I never could understand what it is that attaches some people so firmly to a piece of paper or plastic which simply says that they can drive a car. Surely it cannot be to avoid losing points as I'm sure that the vast majority are careful law abiding drivers and you'd have to be a raving nutter behind the wheel to come anywhere close to losing all 12 points and getting a ban.

If you got a French licence but subsequently returned to the UK then you can simply reapply for a UK one.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
But why fiddle the system at all when you can just get a French licence and be done with it.

I never could understand what it is that attaches some people so firmly to a piece of paper or plastic which simply says that they can drive a car. Surely it cannot be to avoid losing points as I'm sure that the vast majority are careful law abiding drivers and you'd have to be a raving nutter behind the wheel to come anywhere close to losing all 12 points and getting a ban.

If you got a French licence but subsequently returned to the UK then you can simply reapply for a UK one.
It's not fiddling the system, and I'm quite happy with my UK licence thanks and see no reason to change it at the moment. Its registered to my place in the UK, and you are able to have it so
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

If you do indeed have a genuine UK address, not just one of convenience such as such as that of a relative, then by all means have a replacement licence sent there but anything else is fiddling the system.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with continuing to use your UK licence for as long as it is valid, it's your right to do so regardless of what address it bears, but in the case of a lost/stolen/destroyed one the hassle of conning the DVLA into issuing a replacement will almost certainly be greater than getting a Letter of Entitlement and a French one.

Not to mention of course that if you lose a UK licence you cannot legally drive in France until you obtain a replacement, lose a French one and you can get a temporary permit on the spot.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:08 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do indeed have a genuine UK address, not just one of convenience such as such as that of a relative, then by all means have a replacement licence sent there but anything else is fiddling the system.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with continuing to use your UK licence for as long as it is valid, it's your right to do so regardless of what address it bears, but in the case of a lost/stolen/destroyed one the hassle of conning the DVLA into issuing a replacement will almost certainly be greater than getting a Letter of Entitlement and a French one.

Not to mention of course that if you lose a UK licence you cannot legally drive in France until you obtain a replacement, lose a French one and you can get a temporary permit on the spot.
I disagree, I have had a DVLA member of staff ask if there is a relatives address I can use for a Replacement License. It is a issue that DVLA is aware of and plans to resolve. How is it a hassle conning them as you put it to Apply for a replacement?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022085
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:58 pm
Senior Moment

By that means, if you have a bank account in the UK you are fiddling the system, if you have SKY here, you are fiddling the system. If you have a UK licence are you fiddling the system by using a UK address on it that you moved from three years ago (this is approved by DVLA) or is it better to have a UK address that you can actually be contacted at?? Thats either your "other" home address, or maybe the address of your sister or brother, or wherever it is that you actually "live" in when you are back in the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

RichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud of

I just ent to an office in Confolons, asked for a french Licence, supplied them with the photo's etc , returned a few weeks later and there was my liceince waiting for me -- no problems --- and i didn'r speak french very well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.