Carte Sejour

Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Cass555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carte Sejour

Hello Again
British guy married to French and living in France.
A long time ago I went to the town hall to ask about 'Carte Sejour' - I was told they didn't do them any more and as a UK passport holder and European - I did not need one.
As I now have property in France and with current changes like Brexit coming around - I'm starting to think I actually should have some kind of residence papers ?
What do long term Brits living in France actually have to prove they are resident in France ?
Maybe it will become compulsory again after Brexit ?
Regards
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Sejour

In theory as a British citizen you're entitled to a Carte de Séjour if you ask for one - but as they said, since you don't need one they really don't want to bother issuing them.
Originally Posted by Cass555
What do long term Brits living in France actually have to prove they are resident in France ?
Basically the most conclusive proof is your tax returns. If you can show 5 years tax returns, that should prove you've been living here for 5 years.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, the Mairie are not really interested. If you want one though, I was told it's the Prefecture who now issue them. They too may say you don't need one, but if you insist they shouldn't really refuse.
I was told this by the Mairie here, and plan to trot along to the Prefecture within the next month or so.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:09 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
In theory as a British citizen you're entitled to a Carte de Séjour if you ask for one - but as they said, since you don't need one they really don't want to bother issuing them.
Basically the most conclusive proof is your tax returns. If you can show 5 years tax returns, that should prove you've been living here for 5 years.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 6:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
You are right, the Mairie are not really interested. If you want one though, I was told it's the Prefecture who now issue them. They too may say you don't need one, but if you insist they shouldn't really refuse.
I was told this by the Mairie here, and plan to trot along to the Prefecture within the next month or so.
I think it's so unfair that women can take their French spouses' nationality, and men can't. I suppose there's a good reason why sex-equality isn't applicable in this field?
Old Jan 11th 2017, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I think it's so unfair that women can take their French spouses' nationality, and men can't.
???????
Are you sure?
AFAIK there is no difference whichever way round it is. But either way round there are conditions to be met - French nationality doesn't come automatically with marrying a French national, there has to have been a minimum period of conjugal residence in France etc.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
???????
Are you sure?
AFAIK there is no difference whichever way round it is. But either way round there are conditions to be met - French nationality doesn't come automatically with marrying a French national, there has to have been a minimum period of conjugal residence in France etc.
No, I'm not sure, but I've not heard of any one who has acquired French nationality by dint of being married to a French woman. Maybe those who have French spouses don't wish to have dual nationality, in which case take no notice of my ramblings!
Old Jan 11th 2017, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
No, I'm not sure, but I've not heard of any one who has acquired French nationality by dint of being married to a French woman. Maybe those who have French spouses don't wish to have dual nationality, in which case take no notice of my ramblings!
The only thing I've acquired by dint of being married to a French woman is a superiority complex..........
Old Jan 11th 2017, 3:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I know of 2 Englishmen married to French women that have acquired french nationality. Mind you, they've been in France a long time so would have been able to do it just because they satisfied residency requirements. It could be that because of the EU, you don't NEED to be french to stay/work in France and so the residency rules are the applicable ones. My daughter born in France to British parents can't get French nationality until she satisfies residency requirements ( she'll have to go back for 5 years).
Old Jan 11th 2017, 4:45 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I know of 2 Englishmen married to French women that have acquired french nationality. Mind you, they've been in France a long time so would have been able to do it just because they satisfied residency requirements. It could be that because of the EU, you don't NEED to be french to stay/work in France and so the residency rules are the applicable ones. My daughter born in France to British parents can't get French nationality until she satisfies residency requirements ( she'll have to go back for 5 years).
If you are married to a French person you can apply for French nationality after 4 years; this is extended to 5 years if you do not live in France.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I know two UK men (one Scottish and one n. Ireland) who are married to french women and have never been long-term residents in France and both have french citizenship.
Therefore, IVV could be spot on but I cannot confirm it.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:58 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
I know two UK men (one Scottish and one n. Ireland) who are married to french women and have never been long-term residents in France and both have french citizenship.
Therefore, IVV could be spot on but I cannot confirm it.
See Para B) Acquisition de la nationalité française par le mariage

Droit des étrangers : L'acquisition de la nationalité française - THOMAS LONCLE AVOCAT

There's probably a statut somewhere on the Googlenet but hopefully this will suffice.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My above post should be considered as deleted!
I was going back to last century when I acquired French nationality (via a Tribunal) one year after marrying my French OH. I didn't have to prove any knowledge of French. At the time, foreign husbands of French ladies couldn't acquire nationality on the basis of marriage....
Sorry for any confusion caused by living in the past!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Cass555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone.
Really interesting - I will make an application based on my marriage & time in France.
Mind you, they telling me its a minimum 3 month to get an appointment at the Prefecture...!