Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Carte de sejour for Bank?

Carte de sejour for Bank?

Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Boar Slayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carte de sejour for Bank?

Hi everyone, I've just joined. I think we'll all need all the help we can get with the dreaded Brexit!
A friend who lives and works here and owns her own home has just been told by the bank that Brits will have to have a Carte de Sejour to open a Bank account. Our passports will no longer be good enough for ID?
Anyone else heard this?
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte de sejour for Bank?

Originally Posted by Boar Slayer
Hi everyone, I've just joined. I think we'll all need all the help we can get with the dreaded Brexit!
A friend who lives and works here and owns her own home has just been told by the bank that Brits will have to have a Carte de Sejour to open a Bank account. Our passports will no longer be good enough for ID?
Anyone else heard this?
Welcome to the forum.

https://www.britline.com/create-acco...-document.html

This is the current page from Credit Agricole Britline for the documents required.
This states that the accounts are for those who live in France or visit France regularly.
I suspect that some organisations including some town halls are jumping the gun without knowing what the eventual status of Brits in France or French citizens in the UK will be.
For a definitive answer - ask the bank - I bet they don't know.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Yes, that's what we thought - getting ahead of themselves. But once they've got it in their heads there's no persuading them otherwise! Love French bureaucracy!
Old Mar 20th 2017, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this. You say she's been told they "will have to" - well yes they will, almost inevitably, when Brexit happens. So if the bank is simply looking ahead and giving people advance warning so that they can prepare themselves, then fair enough, can't knock them for that. Is this in fact what you're saying, or are you saying the bank is already insisting on it as of now?
Old Mar 20th 2017, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Her bank - Postale - is insisting that it's for all new accounts now.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go to a different branch to verify before getting my knickers in a twist about it.

AFAIK Brits cannot get a carte de sejour right now because we don't need them.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:24 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

You can open an account with La Banque Postale over the internet and UK nationals are still in the list of those allowed to do so. I think this is probably more fake news.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

As PF says, if they're being arsey then go to a different branch or a different bank.
Our passports will no longer be good enough for ID?
It's not about ID though is it. You have to "prove" your place of residence, for reasons of fiscal accountability/money laundering and all that, and that could reasonably involve proving that you have the legal right to live at the address where you claim to be living.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I think this is probably more fake news.
Alternative facts
Old Mar 20th 2017, 6:11 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
As PF says, if they're being arsey then go to a different branch or a different bank.
My local La Poste was awful, hideous, absolutely,incredibly pig-headed, ignorant little sh**s in there. Everyone avoided it, they were just notorious for doing their best to annoy you. I only ever went in there if I had to collect a parcel that I'd missed delivery for. Otherwise, like the rest of the town, I went 3 miles to the next one. If they had told me something like this, I would not have taken a blind bit of notice and just gone to the other branch.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Vinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond repute

I had major issues when trying to open an account with La Poste too, as they were demanding information from me that I didn't have (CdS etc); and didn't require.

I told them to get stuffed, in my best French.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:19 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Vinosity
I had major issues when trying to open an account with La Poste too, as they were demanding information from me that I didn't have (CdS etc); and didn't require.

I told them to get stuffed, in my best French.
"putain!!!"

or as my toulousaine kids say "putaingue"!

What is it about La Poste? I once tried to open savings accounts for the kids, and I had only brought the "abbreviated" scottish birth certificate for my eldest which doesn't list the parents. I had all the stuff for all the other kids. Nope. Couldn't possibly open an account for her. Desole....
pffff!
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=petitefrancaise;12209093]"putain!!!"

or as my toulousaine kids say "putaingue"!

/QUOTE]

A bit off-topic, but ours weren't allowed to say either at home while they were kids, and we used "purée" or "punaise" instead! But must admit that I occasionally explode with a "pu-taingue" when I'm shocked! More satisfying than an English oath!
P.S. To get back on topic, the Caisse d'Epargne might suit.
https://www.caisse-epargne.fr/ile-de...u-quotidien_fr
indicates ID, proof of domicile less than 3 months old (utility bills....), and proof of "economic activity" (payslips...) within the last 3 months.
It doesn't mention Carte de Séjour for non-EU citizens, but why worry about such a requirement when Brexit hasn't been triggered off yet?

Last edited by dmu; Mar 21st 2017 at 10:32 am.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have a French friend who always says flûte! instead of zut!
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:19 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I have a French friend who always says flûte! instead of zut!
I say both when in company. "Les 5 lettres" when alone or with OH!! (And funnily enough, I NEVER say the literal English equivalent!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.