Reload this Page >

Carefully planning move... a few initial questions

Carefully planning move... a few initial questions

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:47 am
Just Joined

matei72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carefully planning move... a few initial questions

Bonjour à tous,

We're planning a move in the next few years from the UK to France, and like everyone else, we have a few questions that perhaps some of the more experienced members of the forum could answer.

We're both in IT, and are planning on the portability of our skills to find gainful employment in France, as we've done before (we've lived abroad in several countries before this).

Can work be found in IT outside Paris and the larger cities? For example, we really liked Tours and the surrounding area - but I don't know how realistic that is given our field.

I've looked a bit on some of the French jobsites (freelance-info.fr etc) and I've seen some freelance positions all over the place, so that does give me some hope.

I understand that the salaries aren't likely to be what they are in the UK, or even what they are in Paris for that matter, but that is OK. We're not planning on living the high life, buying a chateau and employing ground staff. ;-)

While we've been to France many times, neither of us have ever worked there. Just curious if a comparison can be made between the French and UK workplaces?

What are attitudes like towards foreigners in the workplace? I've worked with French clients in the past, but I've never had to deal with any non-French counterparts, unlike in Italy where I would often be dealing with foreign nationals who spoke Italian.

We've always been treated well in France as visitors. People for the most part have been fine, save for the few episodes of unexpected, over the top super helpful passers-by (no one ever believes us back in the UK about this, there really is an anti-French bias). I would imagine that things might change somewhat once we decide to come live there?

My wife and I both speak French, to varying degrees. She is fluent, and while I understand about 90%, my response time is a bit slow. We're a multilingual family (we speak a mix of languages at home), so I'm certain that once I acclimatise I'll be OK… after a few months that is!

Another question is regarding health cover. I researched getting the E106 cards upon our departure, and I understand that one should be covered for 2 years. We do have private health insurance in the UK with the Pru, and according to our broker we'd be covered after moving to France. The only rub is that we'd have to keep our UK bank account open in order to fund the coverage.

Does that sound correct? Anyone with any similar experience regarding health cover?

We'll be bringing one of our cars with us in spite of the fact that it is RHD and not efficient in the least - but it is very useful to us and we'd be loathe to sell it.. It is an 09 plate and has quite a high co2 emmision rate. From what I understand, one would be hit with an eco-tax penalty upon registering the car - but this could be reduced 10% for each of the years previously registered? Is that how it works?

Lastly, we have a 11 month-old daughter who will be two or three years old by the time we move. Is there any info regarding what jabs are necessary for enrollment in French schools?

These are just some of the questions that I've come up with now to post. Most of the others that I have on my list have been previously answered on the forum by other members… but if I get stumped you might see me back here again asking more!

Merci!

Last edited by matei72; Mar 22nd 2012 at 11:47 am. Reason: spelling!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:58 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carefully planning move... a few initial questions

Originally Posted by matei72
Bonjour à tous,

We're planning a move in the next few years from the UK to France, and like everyone else, we have a few questions that perhaps some of the more experienced members of the forum could answer.

We're both in IT, and are planning on the portability of our skills to find gainful employment in France, as we've done before (we've lived abroad in several countries before this).

Can work be found in IT outside Paris and the larger cities? For example, we really liked Tours and the surrounding area - but I don't know how realistic that is given our field.

I've looked a bit on some of the French jobsites (freelance-info.fr etc) and I've seen some freelance positions all over the place, so that does give me some hope.

I understand that the salaries aren't likely to be what they are in the UK, or even what they are in Paris for that matter, but that is OK. We're not planning on living the high life, buying a chateau and employing ground staff. ;-)

While we've been to France many times, neither of us have ever worked there. Just curious if a comparison can be made between the French and UK workplaces?

What are attitudes like towards foreigners in the workplace? I've worked with French clients in the past, but I've never had to deal with any non-French counterparts, unlike in Italy where I would often be dealing with foreign nationals who spoke Italian.

We've always been treated well in France as visitors. People for the most part have been fine, save for the few episodes of unexpected, over the top super helpful passers-by (no one ever believes us back in the UK about this, there really is an anti-French bias). I would imagine that things might change somewhat once we decide to come live there?

My wife and I both speak French, to varying degrees. She is fluent, and while I understand about 90%, my response time is a bit slow. We're a multilingual family (we speak a mix of languages at home), so I'm certain that once I acclimatise I'll be OK… after a few months that is!

Another question is regarding health cover. I researched getting the E106 cards upon our departure, and I understand that one should be covered for 2 years. We do have private health insurance in the UK with the Pru, and according to our broker we'd be covered after moving to France. The only rub is that we'd have to keep our UK bank account open in order to fund the coverage.

Does that sound correct? Anyone with any similar experience regarding health cover?

We'll be bringing one of our cars with us in spite of the fact that it is RHD and not efficient in the least - but it is very useful to us and we'd be loathe to sell it.. It is an 09 plate and has quite a high co2 emmision rate. From what I understand, one would be hit with an eco-tax penalty upon registering the car - but this could be reduced 10% for each of the years previously registered? Is that how it works?

Lastly, we have a 11 month-old daughter who will be two or three years old by the time we move. Is there any info regarding what jabs are necessary for enrollment in French schools?

These are just some of the questions that I've come up with now to post. Most of the others that I have on my list have been previously answered on the forum by other members… but if I get stumped you might see me back here again asking more!

Merci!

Welcome to the Forum
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Most of your questions will have been previously covered in the forum.
Why don't you do a keyword search from the top-right in the France Index page?
After a little light reading on these other threads then you will have a more specific idea what further information you need.
I am not aware of a great IT sector in Tours but I will have a browse and see if I can find anything.

good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

matei72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi
Most of your questions will have been previously covered in the forum.
Why don't you do a keyword search from the top-right in the France Index page?
After a little light reading on these other threads then you will have a more specific idea what further information you need.
I am not aware of a great IT sector in Tours but I will have a browse and see if I can find anything.

good luck
Hi - indeed you're right, I've been on this site quite a bit the past few days and found the search function to be most helpful (compared to other sites!). Initially I couldn't find some of the answers but as I've persisted they have been coming to light.