Reload this Page >

Car registartion

Car registartion

Old Jan 1st 2017, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

phil j c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car registartion

Hi,

I know there have been posts before about buying and registering a used car in France and how to do it. They have been a great help already!

However there is one thing i'm not sure on.

When i take all my documents to register the car in my name i understand i need to take Carte Grise Baree, Carte Grise, Certificat de situation / de non-gage, Certificate de cession and also Proof of address, proof of insurance, proof of identity (passport), money for new carte grise.

My question is, i have no proof of address in France (utility bills etc). Does this matter? I will still have a UK address for a few months can i use this? I'm in a flat share rental for a couple of months while i look for a place but need a car to get to work.

I move to France next week and planning to buy a used french registered LHD car from a dealer in the UK and take it over.

Its a 08 reg so its on the old number plates as well so when i get to France i will also need to get new number plates.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Phil
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car registartion

Yes it does matter - if you don't have all the documents required, including proof of address, you will be sent away, end of. A UK address is less use than a chocolate teapot. Either get the person whose name is on the rental contract to write out an attestation d'hébergement for you (model letter here https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/R39697 and you need all the accompanying documents), or wait until you have your own place and can prove it.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil j c
Hi,

My question is, i have no proof of address in France (utility bills etc). Does this matter?
It matters, see above post.

I move to France next week and planning to buy a used french registered LHD car from a dealer in the UK and take it over

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Phil
My advice is to buy a car while in France after you have an address. It's easy to do, but you'll almost certainly need to have a bank account in France first.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent advise from Novo imho. Buy a used car in France, you may pay a little more but the hassle-less experience in general should more than compensate.
I've definitely noticed recently that the main dealer's forecourts are more full with used vehicles than they ever have been, due to 2016 being one of the best years yet for new car sales. That in itself would motivate me to buy a good used car here, as there must be some excellent deals around, and that one can also negotiate further on. And if the dealer won't come down to your lower price suggestions, either suggest an extended warranty period or a few extra accessories. From Jan 2017 used car parts must be available to customers if they so desire them.
Les garagistes devront proposer des pièces détachées d'occasion dès 2017

Thinking about it, as a belated New Year's gift, I may even look around for some second-hand wiper blades for Mme's vehicle.........
Happy New Year to all.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 1st 2017 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 9:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Like the others have said, you will need proof of address France. You will learn that french bureaucrats take great delight in finding the one piece of documentation that you absolutely must have but of course, don't have with you. It's a game...

You must be getting that car in the UK for an absolute song. Make sure you bargain really hard because that dealer must have had his day made actually getting a buyer!
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the advice. I thought as much about the address, thanks Eurotrash for the link about the rental contract.

I reckon i will have to get this done as i will need a car as soon as i can. If i don't get one in the UK it will be the first thing i do in France
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Excellent advise from Novo imho. Buy a used car in France, you may pay a little more but the hassle-less experience in general should more than compensate.
I've definitely noticed recently that the main dealer's forecourts are more full with used vehicles than they ever have been, due to 2016 being one of the best years yet for new car sales. That in itself would motivate me to buy a good used car here, as there must be some excellent deals around, and that one can also negotiate further on. And if the dealer won't come down to your lower price suggestions, either suggest an extended warranty period or a few extra accessories. From Jan 2017 used car parts must be available to customers if they so desire them.
Les garagistes devront proposer des pièces détachées d'occasion dès 2017

Thinking about it, as a belated New Year's gift, I may even look around for some second-hand wiper blades for Mme's vehicle.........
Happy New Year to all.

Thanks, good to know there's plenty of options out there!
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what the registration fee is, you may also need a French bank account because the upper limit set by the state for cash transactions is quite low. If the cost to register is a few hundred I imagine you can pay cash at the préfecture but if it's into the thousands you would have to pay by cheque. If you don't already have a French bank account, setting one up is unlikely to happen on the spot so that is another thing to plan for (find out if they accept third party cheques and if necessary, maybe get a friend with a cheque book to go along with you).

Also, looking at your list of documents (not sure why it says Carte grise twice, there is only one carte grise) - it doesn't mention the CT. If the car is old enough to need one, can't remember if it's 3 or 4 years, you would need a CT test certificate with more than 18 months validity left on it.

EDIT - in your first post you say it's an 08 so it definitely needs a valid CT, you won't be able to register it without.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jan 3rd 2017 at 8:26 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
- it doesn't mention the CT. If the car is old enough to need one, can't remember if it's 3 or 4 years, you would need a CT test certificate with more than 18 months validity left on it.
...but the vendor must supply that...
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:37 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Like the others have said, you will need proof of address France. You will learn that french bureaucrats take great delight in finding the one piece of documentation that you absolutely must have but of course, don't have with you. It's a game...
True. When I bought a car in France in 2013 I received sound advice to put it jointly in both names (me & OH) so as to avoid succession issues if I croaked.

So, we rock up to the prefecture with all (ha!) the paperwork, except for a copy of our marriage certificate.

Gotcha!!
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
True. When I bought a car in France in 2013 I received sound advice to put it jointly in both names (me & OH) so as to avoid succession issues if I croaked.

So, we rock up to the prefecture with all (ha!) the paperwork, except for a copy of our marriage certificate.

Gotcha!!
We didn't need a marriage certificate - they accepted both our passports.
Just goes to show who you get in your local prefecture.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:35 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by cyrian
We didn't need a marriage certificate - they accepted both our passports.
Just goes to show who you get in your local prefecture.
Indeed. I can't be bothered to search back, but I think it was you who advised joint ownership.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha!!
I'm sure I will have continuing stress responses with bureaucrats for the rest of my life thanks to France! When we sold our house in France, we had to go to the French consulate in Houston to do the final bits of signing. They told us we would only need passports for ID purposes but since it was a 3 hour car journey that I did not want to repeat I took a carry-on wheelie suitcase full of just about all our documents including all the utility bills, tax bills from our last 5 years in France. guess what?
just needed passports and we were out in under 5 minutes.....
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:45 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I'm sure I will have continuing stress responses with bureaucrats for the rest of my life thanks to France!
I know, but I am immunised after earlier living in Germany for 8 years.

If there was ever a Battle to the Death between German Beamter and French Fonctionaires my money would be on the Beamter.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. I can't be bothered to search back, but I think it was you who advised joint ownership.
Guilty as charged