Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / France

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:28 pm   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Endonurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance

Could somebody help me before I string myself up from the nearest rafter. We are moving to the Averyon middle of October. We are in the process of selling good old Ford car and buying a left hand drive car. I seem to be going in ever decreasing circles with the insurance. According to our car insurers we are okay until we get to France then they won't cover us, we have to be covered by French insurance. We can't get French insurance because we haven't got utility bills to prove we are living where we say. Now we can't be the first people in this situation, any suggestions would be very helpful.
Endonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:39 pm   #2
BE Enthusiast
 
calman014's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 561
calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Where are you buying your LHD car? UK or France?

UK: you can ask your insurance company for a "Green Card",. but it depends on your cover. It may need to be upgraded. Green Card will typically give you cover for up to 3 months depending on the company.

Might be worth keeping 'old ford' until you are established in FR and buy a car there.
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th 2017, 5:33 pm   #3
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Endonurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
Where are you buying your LHD car? UK or France?

UK: you can ask your insurance company for a "Green Card",. but it depends on your cover. It may need to be upgraded. Green Card will typically give you cover for up to 3 months depending on the company.

Might be worth keeping 'old ford' until you are established in FR and buy a car there.
Thank you for your swift reply. We have ford on lease so need to sell in uk, ford won't let us take it with us and we are buying lhd in uk. Would be easier to fly then buy in France but have got 1 dog and 4 cats to bring over. So we will be driving down. Hopefully!
Endonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th 2017, 5:44 pm   #4
Quien no sabe
Premium Member
 
Chatter Static's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,287
Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonurse View Post
Thank you for your swift reply. We have ford on lease so need to sell in uk, ford won't let us take it with us and we are buying lhd in uk. Would be easier to fly then buy in France but have got 1 dog and 4 cats to bring over. So we will be driving down. Hopefully!
Why not buy the Lhd car in France it would save you the agro of then having to re'register it here.
__________________
I have seen the other side and my advice is don't pack sunscreen.
Chatter Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th 2017, 7:38 pm   #5
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 3,080
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

If you buy a car on French plates in the UK make very very very very sure that you have all the documents you need to do a change of ownership in France. You need the vehicle registration document (carte grise) which MUST be endorsed by the person whose name and address is given on it as the legal owner; you need a statement called the declaration de cession which MUST be filled in signed and dated by the PREVIOUS OWNER and yourself; ideally if it's of an age to require it you need a controle technique (equivalent of MOT) certificate issued less than 6 months previous; and ideally you should get a certificat de non gage to ensure that there are no debts outstanding on the car.

I don't know about the insurance but maybe you could get temporary cover until you are settled in France, eg Chassis Number Insurance | Online Quotes | ACORN INSURANCE - please note I know nothing about this company but I saw them suggested on another forum.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Sep 6th 2017 at 7:41 pm.
EuroTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th 2017, 8:15 pm   #6
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Endonurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
If you buy a car on French plates in the UK make very very very very sure that you have all the documents you need to do a change of ownership in France. You need the vehicle registration document (carte grise) which MUST be endorsed by the person whose name and address is given on it as the legal owner; you need a statement called the declaration de cession which MUST be filled in signed and dated by the PREVIOUS OWNER and yourself; ideally if it's of an age to require it you need a controle technique (equivalent of MOT) certificate issued less than 6 months previous; and ideally you should get a certificat de non gage to ensure that there are no debts outstanding on the car.

I don't know about the insurance but maybe you could get temporary cover until you are settled in France, eg Chassis Number Insurance | Online Quotes | ACORN INSURANCE - please note I know nothing about this company but I saw them suggested on another forum.
Thank you for your reply. I will look into your suggestions, but not tonight my brain is fried with all the other things for the move.
Endonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:25 pm   #7
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Notdunroamin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonurse View Post
Could somebody help me before I string myself up from the nearest rafter. We are moving to the Averyon middle of October. We are in the process of selling good old Ford car and buying a left hand drive car. I seem to be going in ever decreasing circles with the insurance. According to our car insurers we are okay until we get to France then they won't cover us, we have to be covered by French insurance. We can't get French insurance because we haven't got utility bills to prove we are living where we say. Now we can't be the first people in this situation, any suggestions would be very helpful.
Presumably you've bought a house or are renting one in which case either a copy of the acte or the rental agreement should prove adequate as proof of address for car insurance.
Notdunroamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:46 am   #8
cardi 
Forum Regular
 
cardi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 260
cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
Why not buy the Lhd car in France it would save you the agro of then having to re'register it here.

Saves the aggro but increases costs substantially.


You can buy a second hand car in UK for a third of the price of similar in France. My 9 year old Berlingo cost me £900. How much are Berlingos in France?


If your driving skills are poor perhaps LHD is better but for most it makes little difference.
__________________
Criminals are never very amusing. It's because they're failures. Those who make real money aren't counted as criminals. This is a class distinction, not an ethical problem.
cardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:43 pm   #9
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Aveyron
Posts: 21
Countryreverie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance

Agree with Cardi . I brought my RHD over nearly 3 years ago and have no problems at all.
The only issue is trying to overtake large tractors or lorries when visibility is restricted. Personally I'm never in such a hurry that i can't be patient. Re-registering was straightforward.
By the way we are in Aveyron so if you need any local knowledge feel free to pm.
Countryreverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:51 am   #10
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Endonurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance

Hurrah, problem solved, for the time being. Have bought a LHD Peugeot with British number plates. So we have changed our insurance over from Ford. We will then re register it when we get to France and take out French car insurance. Does that sound too easy?
Endonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:17 pm   #11
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 3,080
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonurse View Post
Hurrah, problem solved, for the time being. Have bought a LHD Peugeot with British number plates. So we have changed our insurance over from Ford. We will then re register it when we get to France and take out French car insurance. Does that sound too easy?
Way to go
EuroTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:57 pm   #12
cyrian Male
BE Forum Addict
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,062
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonurse View Post
Hurrah, problem solved, for the time being. Have bought a LHD Peugeot with British number plates. So we have changed our insurance over from Ford. We will then re register it when we get to France and take out French car insurance. Does that sound too easy?

Is the speedo in km and the lights dip to the correct side for France?
You need to get a document which states your no claims bonus from your Ford insurance otherwise it will cost you lots more to insure in France.
Oh, I have just seen that you were leasing - good luck.
FYI. You can register the car in France in joint names which means either owner can sell the car but you would need a) a passport or b)birth certificates and marriage certificate depending on how bloody-minded the fonctionaire is at the prefecture.
Normally, you need to have these certificates less than 3 months old for various procedures in France and sometimes they have to be translated.
HTH
cyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:03 pm   #13
Born again atheist
Premium Member
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 29,189
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrian View Post

Is the speedo in km and the lights dip to the correct side for France?
You need to get a document which states your no claims bonus from your Ford insurance otherwise it will cost you lots more to insure in France.
Oh, I have just seen that you were leasing - good luck.
FYI. You can register the car in France in joint names which means either owner can sell the car but you would need a) a passport or b)birth certificates and marriage certificate depending on how bloody-minded the fonctionaire is at the prefecture.
Normally, you need to have these certificates less than 3 months old for various procedures in France and sometimes they have to be translated.
HTH
Now he tells me.
__________________
Pendelfahrer zwischen Frankreich und England.
Novocastrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:23 pm   #14
cyrian Male
BE Forum Addict
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,062
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Now he tells me.
One tries to please.
cyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:31 pm   #15
Born again atheist
Premium Member
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 29,189
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
One tries to please.
__________________
Pendelfahrer zwischen Frankreich und England.
Novocastrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / France


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:24 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com