Reload this Page >

Can't PM yet so open question to ladies who went to France toute seule

Can't PM yet so open question to ladies who went to France toute seule

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Starfish00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't PM yet so open question to ladies who went to France toute seule

Hi All,

I've been reading through threads going back as far as 2010 posted by ladies who were planning to move to France and I wondered if any of you are still on this Forum and could give me a heads up on how life panned out for you?
(I need to be more active on here before I can PM said ladies).

I'm in my mid 50s, kinda retired, speak French (although not as fluent as I would like to be) and could really do with some advice on making such a big move.

Any kind souls out there who could spare me a few moments of their time?
Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:11 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't PM yet so open question to ladies who went to France toute seule

Originally Posted by Starfish00
Hi All,

I've been reading through threads going back as far as 2010 posted by ladies who were planning to move to France and I wondered if any of you are still on this Forum and could give me a heads up on how life panned out for you?

I'm in my mid 50s, kinda retired, speak French (although not as fluent as I would like to be) and could really do with some advice on making such a big move.

Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum, Im not so sure any of the more active users are single women but they may still lurk. You'd probably have to be pretty forwards doing it toute seule and would probably want somewhere thats a bit more active and vibrant. You have to make three posts before the PM system opens up to you.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't PM yet so open question to ladies who went to France toute seule

I wasn't on the forum in 2010 but I moved to France toute seule in 2007, and absolutely no regrets. Have to say though that my work has been a big part of it. It made me get stuck in and get things sorted, if I ever had rose tinted specs they got broke very quickly. I suppose it helped give me a structure to my life here and a new sense of identity. Would be a totally different experience I'm sure if you're retired and don't have to batter your way through a brick wall or two. It's not something you'd do if you didn't have to but you feel a sense of achievement when you break through and come out the other side. I imagine being retired is a more serene experience.
Where are you moving from?
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 4:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thanks.
Hi, I moved to France a few decades ago, fancy free, with a job lined up. It worked for me because of my work and then meeting my future OH
This being so, I'd hesitate if I were in your shoes and not yet fully retired. If you need to earn a living, it'll be hard-going and if you don't find a legal job (bear in mind that there are 3 1/2 million French unemployed), you may not have healthcare coverage either, if the present agreement between France and the UK re pre-retirees no longer exists. The bottom line is that you'd need to bring over a lot of savings until you reach retirement age.
Where were you thinking of settling?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your responses and advice - I'm considering Normandy or Brittany in terms of location. Being on my own, rural living would not be the best option. Can anyone recommend a property agent they've used - I would be happy to receive PMs on this. Many thanks.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your responses and advice - I'm considering Normandy or Brittany in terms of location. Being on my own, rural living would not be the best option. Can anyone recommend a property agent they've used - I would be happy to receive PMs on this. Many thanks.
Recommendations are far better posted on the forum, then people know who has been recommended, and can also indicate whether there have been any problems with then. If you just ask for PMs, then you could get 20 or 30 all recommending the same agent, which gives you no choice. Really PMs are there for people aking personal questions and things not really suitable for public discusion.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Recommendations are far better posted on the forum, then people know who has been recommended, and can also indicate whether there have been any problems with then. If you just ask for PMs, then you could get 20 or 30 all recommending the same agent, which gives you no choice. Really PMs are there for people aking personal questions and things not really suitable for public discusion.

OK, that's fine. I suggested PMs as I wasn't sure if recommendations on the open forum would be considered as advertising. I would be grateful for any recommendations!
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you need to narrow down the area you want to live in before looking for agents - rural France will be very lonely if you are planning to be alone most of the time.

When I was looking for a small property to live in half the year under 75k I was rather depressed at how many dank, dark, damp properties there were for sale. Most of them looked ideal in the sales details but were far from ideal to live in.

Properties in towns with a more vibrant social life tend to be more expensive than I could afford but would be your best bet.

Happy hunting!
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:14 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capricorn2013
I think you need to narrow down the area you want to live in before looking for agents - rural France will be very lonely if you are planning to be alone most of the time.

When I was looking for a small property to live in half the year under 75k I was rather depressed at how many dank, dark, damp properties there were for sale. Most of them looked ideal in the sales details but were far from ideal to live in.

Properties in towns with a more vibrant social life tend to be more expensive than I could afford but would be your best bet.

Happy hunting!
Estate agents should develop some form of scratch and sniff brochure it could really saving on wasted visits here. The quantity of really damp homes in the north really surprised me.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Happy hunting!
How true that is.
Based on many years of experience, and listening to numerous sob stories from friends and colleagues when visiting with estate agents, I put THIS together for a bit of fun some time back, but by now many realise that it's not as exaggerated as it first appears.
Be wary of the description, 'en bon état', and particularly wary of 'en bon état general'.
Many agents imho have a lot to answer for.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:00 pm
Quien no sabe

Happy hunting!
When did Lassay les Chateaux get moved into 61? The commune of Le housseau bretignolles sits between it and Orne...
Old Jun 7th 2014, 1:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
When did Lassay les Chateaux get moved into 61? The commune of Le housseau bretignolles sits between it and Orne...
Hast thou been indulging in the drinky stuff?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Absinthe overdose?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 8:01 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Might have

Must have been the wife

Ironic that CP post count is the neighbouring dept number

Happy hunting!
On an related note feel free to ignore my post

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jun 7th 2014 at 9:46 am.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP - to play devil's advocate: since Normandy and Brittany are essentially rural départements, with very few large towns between them, just wondering what's the attraction if you don't like rural? In fact, if you're apprehensive at the thought of moving to France solo, and since you need advice on where might suit which clearly suggests you aren't being pulled by an irresistibly strong draw to any one particular place, it's hard not to wonder why you would put yourself through it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.