Reload this Page >

Can we live on this money?

Can we live on this money?

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

QuestBG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can we live on this money?

Hello everyone

I now live in Bulgaria but received a question from our friends in UK who wish to retire to France. We lived in France for over 10 years before coming to BG and now are out of touch with prices, etc... I thought this might be a good place to ask the question on their behalf as they do not have internet access. Their question is basically this :

"with an annual income of 2,000 euros per month net (based on the amount we could put into a deposit account and get interest per month after tax), would we be able to cope. I mean 'cope' in terms of a decent life please!!! You know us very well, but just to confirm our situation if we retire to France : we have no pension at all; we are a couple (both coming up to our 50th with no children) and enjoy good wine, good cheese, good meat, and we both smoke; but do not go out to restaurants that regularly, perhaps twice a month (count on four times a month for safety). We are concerned about health care so would want to pay into the system in France and then "top up" what we would need. Any house we bought would have no mortgage so that doesn't need to be taken into account and we would buy a small house in a town so that we are on mains drains and central heating (not electric and certainly no chopping logs to fire a log burner) to minimise costs (it would be, say 3 beds max, bathroom, kitchen, grand séjour; double glazed with courtyard garden, in a town - no outbuildings, no guests, no nothing on top of this). We're not talking about Paris here, nor Bordeaux (I wish we could) but more likely a town with some 10,000 in habitants, probably what in Britain would be called a big village We would of course have a small car (super cinq, second hand) but kms would be small, count perhaps 500 kms per month max. We are absolutely NOT planning to grow our own veg, fruit, etc as we want retirement not chaining to a veg plot!!! Perhaps we are not the 'average' retirees as we would want a decent standard of living - the idea of producing our own vegetables and making soup to get through definitely does not appeal. So, we really want to find out what the average amount we would need each month is to live in the way we hope, give or take 10 percent. I know you lived in France for many years and we've always kept in touch, but I really now do need to know if we can afford to retire to that most marvellous place we have always dreamed of "

Can anyone out there answer our friends questions please? Perhaps give examples of bills, food costs, resto costs, etc... These are good, decent people and friends of ours and I wish I could reply to them but can only give them prices from some time ago, since we do not live there now. I'd really love them to have up to date information - please can you help?

Many thanks in advance
Jain
Old Nov 6th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can we live on this money?

thanx to the wonderful euro ......... prices here have gone from high to SCARY!

houses have gone up a LOT, not as high as the UK but then consider the average french??? they cant afford an old barn.

your contacts seem quite sure as to what they need, that is good, and I think look to Jura/Burgundy...... the best value in france, but the people from paris and CH are pouring in for that reason.

2K€ should be ok

i wont say the prices scare me they do!!! my money has not increased since 2000 yet my shopping has 200/300%

smoke??? £35 a carton of 250 rothmans (example) €56

petrol??? mmmmmmmm on the up like everywhere else

health second to none! but top up insurance is efffing well expensive and costs more than you recover.

just avoid tourist places, you'll find very very nice areas only 30 mins away at half the price.

best bet is come to a central location and search/look, but add 10% to anything you see for agent fees

Last edited by bourgogne; Nov 6th 2005 at 9:41 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bourgogne
thanx to the wonderful euro ......... prices here have gone from high to SCARY!

houses have gone up a LOT, not as high as the UK but then consider the average french??? they cant afford an old barn.

your contacts seem quite sure as to what they need, that is good, and I think look to Jura/Burgundy...... the best value in france, but the people from paris and CH are pouring in for that reason.

2K€ should be ok

i wont say the prices scare me they do!!! my money has not increased since 2000 yet my shopping has 200/300%

smoke??? £35 a carton of 250 rothmans (example) €56

petrol??? mmmmmmmm on the up like everywhere else

health second to none! but top up insurance is efffing well expensive and costs more than you recover.

just avoid tourist places, you'll find very very nice areas only 30 mins away at half the price.

best bet is come to a central location and search/look, but add 10% to anything you see for agent fees
Hi Burgundy

Thank you very much indeed for replying - I must admit I thought more people would have helped?

Anyway, I'll pass on what you have said to our good friends. I know they really want to come to France and are certain of what they want but their only query is whether they can manage in retirement there. From what you say, prices have gone up a lot since we left and I'm only glad I asked and did not respond to them too quickly, otherwise I would have made a mistake. Thank you!!!

By the way, we miss the country and people a great deal, how are things over there? Do you like it? Are you having a good time there?

Keep in touch and thanks again
All the best
Quest BG
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by QuestBG
Hi Burgundy

Thank you very much indeed for replying - I must admit I thought more people would have helped?

Anyway, I'll pass on what you have said to our good friends. I know they really want to come to France and are certain of what they want but their only query is whether they can manage in retirement there. From what you say, prices have gone up a lot since we left and I'm only glad I asked and did not respond to them too quickly, otherwise I would have made a mistake. Thank you!!!

By the way, we miss the country and people a great deal, how are things over there? Do you like it? Are you having a good time there?

Keep in touch and thanks again
All the best
Quest BG
well can they hack it staying in the uK??? i think NOT!!! so what do they have to loose? seriously. yes i moan and bitch but the UK would kill me to nothing

PM me for email, and your contacts be happy to help and search for them, no probs
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, yes prices are gone totally crazy in France but 2000 euros for a couple with no kids and no mortgage should still be plenty to enjoy life.

I think we find it so hard because our wages don't go up the same way prices do but people from the UK seem to find it very affordable on their income.

We live in the south of France where things are probably not the cheapest you would need around 250000 euros for a 3 bed house, our shopping comes to about 500-600 euros a month but we have 3 kids (6,4 and 5months old), a really good restaurant for two, top menu (3 course meal)+ bottle of wine would come to about 70 euros but you could eat out for as little as 40 euros.
Alcohol is cheap in the shops but drinking out is very expensive.
the kind of car they mention, you could find for 1500 to 2000 euros (we have a citroen zx from 95 with 110000km on the clock that cost us 2200 euros last year) insurance would be cheapest on french made cars, citroen usually cheapest, ours is about 30 euros a month without bonus, it would of course be cheaper as they are older.

hope this helps, ask if you need to know more
and good luck to your friends
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by priscilia
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, yes prices are gone totally crazy in France but 2000 euros for a couple with no kids and no mortgage should still be plenty to enjoy life.....
hope this helps, ask if you need to know more
and good luck to your friends
Evening Priscilia

Thank you so much for your kind reply - every little helps with information such as you have supplied. I have already spoken to our friends on the back of the post from Burgundy and they are really pleased - so I think they will be even happier with the extra information, thank you very much indeed.

I know this is always a difficult question to answer (the how long is a piece of string thing) but one that everyone wants to know, particularly if you are on a set income. I would dread the same question if anyone asked me the same thing about living in Bulgaria - it all depends upon the kind of lifestyle you want. Anyway, from what you both say, I think our friends will manage. We know them so well and they are not at all the kind to spend money randomly but like more the stay at home lifestyle with occasional "splurges" (don't we all!)

Thank you and burgundy again.
All best wishes
Quest Bulgaria