Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

can applications for carte de sejour be transferred to a different prefecture if move

can applications for carte de sejour be transferred to a different prefecture if move

Old Feb 19th 2017, 7:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can applications for carte de sejour be transferred to a different prefecture if

However much I'd like to help, I know nothing about the Carte de Séjour and deadlines side of things.
At least your landlady takes cheques, so she must declare her rental income and isn't under the radar (which was my fear). I find 620€ for a furnished room excessive, but maybe that's Paris/Banlieue prices?
If you do move out of France, where would you go? If the UK, wouldn't it be easier for your husband to return to Japan for a while and for you to stay in your CDI, so that you could trigger off the Surinder Singh or other Visa process?
You could post in the Moving Back to the UK forum where such knowledgeable folk as BritInParis can give good advice.
Bon Courage!
Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

baguette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can applications for carte de sejour be transferred to a different prefecture if

Thank you dmu
Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baguette
dmu -She gets me to pay 450 by cheque and 170 by cash.
The reason she says is because we are a couple and normally she just lets out rooms to single people. So as the bills are inclusive she added on the extra 170 for my husband.

The more I think about everything, the mor dubious things look, the more miserable i feel
I've been reading this with interest.
I would have bet a King's ransom that your landlady was operating an 'undercover' rental scheme on her properties. I'd also bet that it was her suggestion and not yours that she should receive a proportion of the rent in cash. That's not legal. And I'd also bet that her rents are not being declared, putting her on a very slippery slope. She would be a dream come true for a tax inspector, who would take her to the (Chinese?) cleaners.
These schemes (and others) of not declaring all income, is far more serious than many realize. In the event of a tax investigation, one would be made to pay all monies not declared over the past years in question - WITH interest, which in itself is bad enough, but that would be compounded by a very large fine indeed. If your rental was the only case in question, a prison sentence on her would be waved, but in the case of multiple tenants she would be on a very sticky wicket. For the last bet of the day, I'd wager that she is also in hoots with an unethical Chinese solicitor.
(Excuse me but I'm smiling right now, thinking of Solly Atwell, DelBoy Trotter's family solicitor).
Bon courage, I sincerely hope you find a satisfactory solution to your dilemma.

In an attempt to be as helpful as possible, if you would like a French translation of just the very relevant points I've made above, to print out and present to your landlady, please let me know, as it will be a great pleasure to do this.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Feb 19th 2017 at 8:19 am.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Tweedpipe.
Yes i recall Solly Atwell in Uncle Albert's "amnesia" case!
You could well be right.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I guess her reluctance and part of her dilemma is, What rent to do I write on the receipt - the amount I receive by cheque and declare to the fisc, or the total amount including the cash that goes into my pocket? If the former then the tenant will smell a rat, if the latter then the fisc may smell a rat.

If in fact 2 of you are staying in a single apartment, that may be an issue in itself. I don't know how closely they look at these things nor the current rules, but it used to be that you had to prove not only accommodation but "decent" accommodation. The contract, which you will also have to produce, will state the surface area of the accommodation and it needs to be sufficient for a couple.

Your husband isn't exactly an illegal immigrant but he is in an irregular situation. If all anybody had to do to stay in France was to keep going to the prefecture once every 3 months and failing to produce all the documents, everybody would do that and nobody would ever get sent home would they so they're not going to leave a whacking great loophole like that are they.

If the main point of the stopover in France is to get residence rights in the UK, I don't think that will have been achieved if you never actually obtain a carte de séjour because he will never actually have lived here "legally", he will be leaving whilst still in an irregular situation. But I'm not an expert on these things.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I've been reading this with interest.
I would have bet a King's ransom that your landlady was operating an 'undercover' rental scheme on her properties. I'd also bet that it was her suggestion and not yours that she should receive a proportion of the rent in cash. That's not legal. And I'd also bet that her rents are not being declared, putting her on a very slippery slope. She would be a dream come true for a tax inspector, who would take her to the (Chinese?) cleaners.
These schemes (and others) of not declaring all income, is far more serious than many realize. In the event of a tax investigation, one would be made to pay all monies not declared over the past years in question - WITH interest, which in itself is bad enough, but that would be compounded by a very large fine indeed. If your rental was the only case in question, a prison sentence on her would be waved, but in the case of multiple tenants she would be on a very sticky wicket. For the last bet of the day, I'd wager that she is also in hoots with an unethical Chinese solicitor.
(Excuse me but I'm smiling right now, thinking of Solly Atwell, DelBoy Trotter's family solicitor).
Bon courage, I sincerely hope you find a satisfactory solution to your dilemma.

In an attempt to be as helpful as possible, if you would like a French translation of just the very relevant points I've made above, to print out and present to your landlady, please let me know, as it will be a great pleasure to do this.
I was afraid that this was the case, but since the landlady puts cheques in the bank and there's a paper-trail for the Fisc, she must be legit (except for the cash for Mr. B's presence).
There's no reason why she can't give the Bail and the Quittances de Loyer, at least for the rent paid by cheque.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Yes Eurotrash I see your point.
I guess there must be some kind of limit to how many rendezvous s you can have otherwise as you say there would be lots of people exploiting that. For us we have had one rendezvous so far and they requested a document not on the list, then it is a 3 month wait til the next one. This was at the original prefecture however, one thing i noticed about the local one we visited the other day was that it seemed a lot more efficient, and a different procedure so who knows this one might be quicker?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
There's no reason why she can't give the Bail and the Quittances de Loyer, at least for the rent paid by cheque.
So what figure is she going to write on the Bail? She's probably thinking, but if I write the lower figure on the bail how can I insist on the extra payment if the OP decides to stop paying it, because the document the court would look at is the bail. On the other hand she can't put the higher figure on the bail and issue receipts for the lower figure because they need to match.
Oh what a tangled web some folks weave.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

A tangled web indeed.
I am still waiting to hear back from her.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 5:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A tangled web indeed.
I am still waiting to hear back from her.
If you don't get any joy by this evening, I would ask your company Manager or RH Dept. whether they could give your landlady a nudge. After all, if she gets tenants via your company, she might listen to a decision-maker.
In her present dilemma, she must choose between trusting you and trusting you....
Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
If you don't get any joy by this evening, I would ask your company Manager or RH Dept. whether they could give your landlady a nudge. After all, if she gets tenants via your company, she might listen to a decision-maker.
In her present dilemma, she must choose between trusting you and trusting you....
Imho she needs more than a nudge. I'd suggest a giant chinese firecracker up her petticoat - just for starters!
Old Feb 20th 2017, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Thank you guys
I haven't heard anything from my landlady sent but I sent the example of the quittance
de loyer yesterday to both her and her husband.
I said I needed it by Wednesday.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 6:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you guys
I haven't heard anything from my landlady sent but I sent the example of the quittance
de loyer yesterday to both her and her husband.
I said I needed it by Wednesday.

Maybe an irrelevant question, but what nationality is your landlady's husband? French? in which case he knows all about "justificatifs de domicile". Or non-EU, in which case he, too, will have done the bureaucratic obstacle race and should understand your problem....
Whatever, however reluctant they are to issue the rental receipts, they must do so, in good time before your appointment with the Préfecture. Otherwise, if they continue to refuse, you won't have much time to "negociate" with them, by fair means or foul, and/or organise a worst-scenario Plan B.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Landlady's husband is also chinese.
Still heard nothing so dropped by my office today and spoke to the director of the company . He called her there and then and asked why had i not been given the rental lease and receipts, that i needed them urgently and that they were obligated to provide them. She sounded in a panic and kept saying who is this who is this? and gave a lot of irrelevant information such as the problem with my brother-in-law was not her problem , that she had never done a quittance de loyer printed out version before, that she was very busy, that her phone had been "broken" and she never received the messages etc etc But the director got her to agree to a meeting Tue 10pm and he stated she must bring the contract and proper quittance de loyer.

So we will see tomorrow!

But even if she does provide them, the director was saying there is a chance that they might not accept them because she is just a person, not a "notary" etc (i forget the other things the list specified.)
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Landlady's husband is also chinese.
Still heard nothing so dropped by my office today and spoke to the director of the company . He called her there and then and asked why had i not been given the rental lease and receipts, that i needed them urgently and that they were obligated to provide them. She sounded in a panic and kept saying who is this who is this? and gave a lot of irrelevant information such as the problem with my brother-in-law was not her problem , that she had never done a quittance de loyer printed out version before, that she was very busy, that her phone had been "broken" and she never received the messages etc etc But the director got her to agree to a meeting Tue 10pm and he stated she must bring the contract and proper quittance de loyer.

So we will see tomorrow!

But even if she does provide them, the director was saying there is a chance that they might not accept them because she is just a person, not a "notary" etc (i forget the other things the list specified.)
Glad to hear that your director has shaken up Madame. Her reaction makes me wonder whether their own situation is "precaire" and she's terrified that the Préfecture will pass info about them to other Authorities. Or maybe it's her husband's situation which is illegal, if she alone is the lessor and your cheques are in her name.
I know that a lot of landlords use Agents/Managers... as intermediaries, but there must be countless who prefer to avoid their fees and deal directly with the tenants. A printed quittance de loyer from a physical person must surely be acceptable to the Préfecture. Unfortunately you'll only find out at the appointment...
Fingers crossed for your meeting tomorrow night!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.