Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Can anyone pursue me in the UK for my late fathers taxe d'habitation and fonciere..?

Can anyone pursue me in the UK for my late fathers taxe d'habitation and fonciere..?

Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:16 am
Just Joined

luneau123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone pursue me in the UK for my late fathers taxe d'habitation and fonciere

Any judgement obtained here in France can be executed in the UK. You would be wise to try and sort a payment plan rather tyhasn let it go to court. Much cheaper.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:35 am
Just Joined

greaterbelfastguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone pursue me in the UK for my late fathers taxe d'habitation and fonciere

Hi; what's that opinion based on..? How do you know this..?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

luneau123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Call any debt collection agency in the UK and they will tell you the law.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:33 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greaterbelfastguy
Hi; what's that opinion based on..? How do you know this..?
Hi,
I haven't found an official document, but my French OH who is a retired lawman says that unpaid debts in France have no boundaries in the EU.
If you don't believe the (free) advice we are giving on the forum, then consult a lawyer with knowledge of French/European Laws!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No legal expert here and most certainly not on French inheritance laws etc., but isn't it normally the job of the executor(s) to your father's estate who are responsible for settling debts due before disbursing the residual to the inheritor(s)?
A very interesting question here posed by NovoC which I see you've made no reference or return comment to.

If your father died intestate, if similar to UK law I believe an Administrator would have been officially nominated. Or, were you appointed Executor expressly from a will? Assuming the former, have you tried contacting the administrator inquiring why apparent outstanding taxe d'habitation and taxe fonciere payments were never declared and/or paid from the estate.
Or do we assume that you acted as as executor for the estate, "His assets in France were sold, and all outstanding debts that I found to exist at that time were settled."
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
If you don't believe the (free) advice we are giving on the forum, then consult a lawyer with knowledge of French/European Laws!
Whoa, steady-on there. Someone made a statement and asked them to substantiate it. Or was I meant to blindly accept it as fact..? Doesn't seem the wise thing to do...
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
A very interesting question here posed by NovoC which I see you've made no reference or return comment to.
I've been mulling it over and getting the situation straight in my mind before I put into print a response.

Yes he died 'intestate' as they say, no will. A local notaire was recruited to deal with the estate. As I said, I gave them all evidence I could find of unpaid bills so they could deal with them.

I guess I'm thinking; can I blame them for not paying it at the time, since they (and I) weren't aware of it? Or is it the case that they have ways and means of tracing such outstanding tax debts, and this is in fact what they should have done at the time..?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've been mulling it over and getting the situation straight in my mind before I put into print a response.

Yes he died 'intestate' as they say, no will. A local notaire was recruited to deal with the estate. As I said, I gave them all evidence I could find of unpaid bills so they could deal with them.

I guess I'm thinking; can I blame them for not paying it at the time, since they (and I) weren't aware of it? Or is it the case that they have ways and means of tracing such outstanding tax debts, and this is in fact what they should have done at the time..?
Interesting. I think it's worth contacting the notaire. He's probably got insurance for this sort of situation.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:15 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luneau123
Call any debt collection agency in the UK and they will tell you the law.
Far from the Truth, I have never come across a UK debt collection agency that wholly acted within the law they often gloss over avoid correct answers force doors they should not just to collect. Some of the agencies have been known to harass other family members for cash and never live in a "house of multiple occupancy" with known debt issues.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:18 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Interesting. I think it's worth contacting the notaire. He's probably got insurance for this sort of situation.
Hi, sorry for my reaction, but maybe you should have specified the important word "intestate" and the fact that you weren't an executor, earlier on?
As suggested, you should contact the Notaire who dealt with the succession - he should have checked non-payment of these Taxes and hopefully his insurance will pay the bills.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:31 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, sorry for my reaction, but maybe you should have specified the important word "intestate" and the fact that you weren't an executor, earlier on?
As suggested, you should contact the Notaire who dealt with the succession - he should have checked non-payment of these Taxes and hopefully his insurance will pay the bills.

I honestly think YOU need to sit down with the Tax Office "Impots" and the notaire to discuss the bill/demand are a period whilst you farther was alive and owned the properly in France. If they are then the debt is owed and they can chase you to the UK for it, Unless the notaire was responsible for locating and paying the debt in the process of winding up the estate and they have some form of indemnity insurance for this. The Impots don't get everything right and the methods in which they enforce things is quite often down to one persons interpretation of a rule book they work to. Their system is really flawed in this aspect as answers to questions will change on a daily basis depending on the person you talk to.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Far from the Truth, I have never come across a UK debt collection agency that wholly acted within the law they often gloss over avoid correct answers force doors they should not just to collect. Some of the agencies have been known to harass other family members for cash and never live in a "house of multiple occupancy" with known debt issues.
Very true from what I've read on numerous web sites.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi,
I haven't found an official document, but my French OH who is a retired lawman says that unpaid debts in France have no boundaries in the EU.
Good advise, and if indeed it comes from a retired lawman it would effectively appear to answer the OP's original question.

DMU,
I recall from a previous post of yours that you quoted some very interesting info relating to death-in-France administration, from a document handed out from your Pension/Mutuelle. Namely:-
"WITHIN SIX MONTHS: Remit the Déclaration de Succession to the Impôts (according to French OH, for the Tax Office to calculate Inheritance Tax, but the Notaire will explain this). Pay deceased's Income Tax, Taxe Foncière, Taxe d'Habitation."
As suggested elsewhere, wouldn't this have been part of the Notaire's responsibility?

Here's a link to that post (No. 22), which UK Expats in France would be wise to carefully file away - as I did - just in case of the loss of a loved one (or the mother-in-law) in France.

Good advise above from Ka Ora too.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 28th 2012 at 7:07 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Good advise, and if indeed it comes from a retired lawman it would effectively appear to answer the OP's original question.

DMU,
I recall from a previous post of yours that you quoted some very interesting info relating to death-in-France administration, from a document handed out from your Pension/Mutuelle. Namely:-
"WITHIN SIX MONTHS: Remit the Déclaration de Succession to the Impôts (according to French OH, for the Tax Office to calculate Inheritance Tax, but the Notaire will explain this). Pay deceased's Income Tax, Taxe Foncière, Taxe d'Habitation."
As suggested elsewhere, wouldn't this have been part of the Notaire's responsibility?

Here's a link to that post (No. 22), which UK Expats in France would be wise to carefully file away - as I did - just in case of the loss of a loved one (or the mother-in-law) in France.

Good advise above from Ka Ora too.
Gosh, it didn't occur to me to look at that pamphlet (I was hoping not to have to refer to it again for a long time...). It seems the Notaire should have paid all due Taxes before remitting the Déclaration de Succession.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Gosh, it didn't occur to me to look at that pamphlet (I was hoping not to have to refer to it again for a long time...). It seems the Notaire should have paid all due Taxes before remitting the Déclaration de Succession.
It also seems to me that since the father's house has since been sold, that notaire should also have discovered the tax debt. If the two notaires were one and the same, I'd say the OP has him by the short and hairies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.