Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / France

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 27th 2017, 11:22 am   #1
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 31
bhamham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a second hand car

Hope to buy a second hand car in France soon. What should I look for, never done this before. I've read where there's a new procedure to register online that you no longer go to the prefecture.

Thanks for any help/guidance.
bhamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th 2017, 11:31 am   #2
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 6,517
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamham View Post
Hope to buy a second hand car in France soon. What should I look for, never done this before. I've read where there's a new procedure to register online that you no longer go to the prefecture.

Thanks for any help/guidance.
Hi, can't help on the procedure front, but, if you're living in Paris and need a car despite the excellent public transport system, bear in mind the horrific annual parking/garage costs involved .
dmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th 2017, 11:37 am   #3
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 3,107
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

If you buy from a garage they'll sort it out for you.

If you buy privately and the car is old enough to need a CT, make sure it has a valid CT withat least 18 months left to run (ie tested within the last 6 months). Then, cross your fingers that the seller understands the new system and is savvy enough to guide you both through it.

If not, it'll likely be another learning curve for you
EuroTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th 2017, 12:11 pm   #4
BE Forum Addict
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 2,949
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Check out THIS earlier link for important s/h car buying info.
__________________
.....Sent from my Sinclair ZX81.....
"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn’t know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty, Fawlty Towers
Tweedpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th 2017, 12:54 pm   #5
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 31
bhamham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Excellent link, great info Tweedpipe - Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
If you buy from a garage they'll sort it out for you.

If you buy privately and the car is old enough to need a CT, make sure it has a valid CT withat least 18 months left to run (ie tested within the last 6 months). Then, cross your fingers that the seller understands the new system and is savvy enough to guide you both through it.

If not, it'll likely be another learning curve for you
ET - thanks! Learning curves a plenty here in France. Yes, that's my first thought to buy from reputable dealer/garage. I know I'll pay a premium but hopefully less grief down the road.

Parking is sorted. Landlord says there are spaces available in our building. Just wanting a car for trips to the countryside and some extended summer travel.

Any tips on insurance? Do they recognize no claims from UK? Any benefit to giving up my UK license for a French one?
bhamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th 2017, 1:24 pm   #6
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 6,517
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamham View Post
Excellent link, great info Tweedpipe - Thanks!




ET - thanks! Learning curves a plenty here in France. Yes, that's my first thought to buy from reputable dealer/garage. I know I'll pay a premium but hopefully less grief down the road.

Parking is sorted. Landlord says there are spaces available in our building. Just wanting a car for trips to the countryside and some extended summer travel.

Any tips on insurance? Do they recognize no claims from UK? Any benefit to giving up my UK license for a French one?
If it's not specifically indicated in your lease, you'll be paying extra rent for garage space available in a building. Many people buy garage spaces in Paris and elsewhere as an investment, and earn good money renting them out.
dmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th 2017, 1:35 pm   #7
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 31
bhamham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Yes, well aware of extra cost for parking. Thanks
bhamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th 2017, 2:30 pm   #8
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 3,107
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamham View Post
Any tips on insurance? Do they recognize no claims from UK? Any benefit to giving up my UK license for a French one?
It's worth getting a few quotes, as you would in the UK. If it's your first time insuring in France, online could be tricky because they tend to be less flexible if you don't have all the right French paperwork to tick the boxes, and if they can't make sense of what you send them they might just give up and cancel the policy which would put you in a spot. I would say it's worth starting off by using a broker, then after the first year when you can provide French documentation for your bonus malus you can swap to an online policy if you want to save a few euros. Brokers tend to vary on how they process no claims, my first insurer here insisited on 10 years of insurance history, then then he allowed me full bonus (I think 50% is the most you get here). Other people I know have not been asked to produce as much driving history but have been started off on a lower bonus malus.

If you're not going to use the car a lot, you can reduce your premiums by taking a limited kilometrage policy, they seem quite common here. I have an annual cap of 5000km which is plenty for me because I only use the car to potter around in, I use the motorhome for long trips and holidays, and it saved me quite a lot.

Make sure you get the insurance sorted before you complete the purchase, ask the seller for a photocopy of the carte grise so you can do this.

I see no advantage in changing your licence until you have to, which will likely either be when you commit a driving offence and are "asked" to change it so you can have your points subtracted, or when your UK photocard expires.
EuroTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th 2017, 3:38 pm   #9
cyrian Male
BE Forum Addict
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,073
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

You could look at "rent with the option to purchase" = "location option d'achat" (LOA) which works similar to the UK where you "rent" the car for 3 or 4 years with the option to purchase it or hand it back at the end of the term.
The insurance is included in the deal so you just need to ensure that it will give you your own NCB.
You can search the deals online.
HTH
cyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th 2017, 7:09 am   #10
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 31
bhamham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Thanks Cyrian, I'll check it out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
It's worth getting a few quotes, as you would in the UK. If it's your first time insuring in France, online could be tricky because they tend to be less flexible if you don't have all the right French paperwork to tick the boxes, and if they can't make sense of what you send them they might just give up and cancel the policy which would put you in a spot. I would say it's worth starting off by using a broker, then after the first year when you can provide French documentation for your bonus malus you can swap to an online policy if you want to save a few euros. Brokers tend to vary on how they process no claims, my first insurer here insisited on 10 years of insurance history, then then he allowed me full bonus (I think 50% is the most you get here). Other people I know have not been asked to produce as much driving history but have been started off on a lower bonus malus.

If you're not going to use the car a lot, you can reduce your premiums by taking a limited kilometrage policy, they seem quite common here. I have an annual cap of 5000km which is plenty for me because I only use the car to potter around in, I use the motorhome for long trips and holidays, and it saved me quite a lot.

Make sure you get the insurance sorted before you complete the purchase, ask the seller for a photocopy of the carte grise so you can do this.

I see no advantage in changing your licence until you have to, which will likely either be when you commit a driving offence and are "asked" to change it so you can have your points subtracted, or when your UK photocard expires.
Great info, ET. I had an annual cap on policy in UK. I'll seek out a broker - definitely want the path of least resistance.
bhamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th 2017, 8:08 pm   #11
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 9
Notdunroamin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Contact Nick Chubb

[email protected]

He'll do what ET suggests.
Notdunroamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st 2017, 12:26 pm   #12
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 37
Vinosity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Just pitching in with another recommendation for Nick.

I didn't end up using him, as I got a better package off the back of my partner's insurance, but he was great to deal with. Will definitely go back to him when we are looking at reinsuring.
Vinosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / France


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 6:50 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com