Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying property - market trends?

Buying property - market trends?

Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:38 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property - market trends?

Originally Posted by touraine
Yep.......which is why cheap new builds are more popular with young French families.

A beautifully renovated expat 3 bed farm house for sale at 300,000 is competing with a 3 bed 120,000 new build. What would you buy on a low salary ? That begs the question, who will buy the farm house ?
So, to buy at a true market price better to buy from French owners? But then there's the thing that they might/probably will not have the kind of twee stone cottage I wouldn't mind too much if it has what I want.

Some first class insights into the situation from everyone, though. Far more tricky and strategic than I had first imagined.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
Far more tricky and strategic than I had first imagined.
Not really, just buy a house in an area highly demanded by the French. If you say you can't afford to live in those areas, then you can't afford to live in France. It is that simple.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:52 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
So, to buy at a true market price better to buy from French owners? But then there's the thing that they might/probably will not have the kind of twee stone cottage I wouldn't mind too much if it has what I want.

Some first class insights into the situation from everyone, though. Far more tricky and strategic than I had first imagined.
If I got a penny for every twee cottage for sale here I would have a lot of pennies, Not sure if it's been mentioned already but the French are a lot more drawn to new builds, There are plenty of new houses being built around here but the downside is they get built on lotissements " Small Estates" as this method is cheaper for the commune to connect services to, isolated new builds are rarer but they do happen.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:04 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, just buy a house in an area highly demanded by the French. If you say you can't afford to live in those areas, then you can't afford to live in France. It is that simple.

I didn't...it isn't...

Far more factors in planning a purchase (to my mind, anyway)
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
'Rural France'

Could you all clarify what you mean by this?

To me, Brittany is 'rural'. A house with near neighbours not within shouting distance is rural. A house in a hamlet is rural. Isolated is verrry rural.

Which rural do you have in mind..?

Anywhere that is over a 30 min commute to a large and very 'economically prosperous' city/town is rural for me.

I would not invest anywhere outside this radius.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I would consider "rural" to mean not in a large town.
There are some hamlets that are very desirable because they are within easy commuting of a town. They will be obvious by their pristine appearance with no/few run down properties. This would probably not be rural.
The French housing market is different to the UK market because more people rent in France and possibly get housing support from the State. Why would they want to buy when they can rent a much better quality of house than they could ever buy?
We have French friends who live in beautiful period houses (100 - 150 years old) and have done so for many years and we have French friends who live in modern houses (€4000 per sq metre).
The French generally want modern high quality houses - perhaps bespoke built - with modern facilities and not a cold stone cottage in the middle-of-nowhere.
The French are fascinated by size - what size is this room - how many sq metres? Therefore the price per sq metre is foremost in their thoughts.
Locally, in a non-rural location the prices of new-build flat are upward of €4000 per sq metre and they are selling.
They only was you will be able to assess the market is to get in there and start visiting the agents and properties.
Good luck
Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:23 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
There are some hamlets that are very desirable because they are within easy commuting of a town. They will be obvious by their pristine appearance with no/few run down properties. This would probably not be rural.
The French housing market is different to the UK market because more people rent in France and possibly get housing support from the State. Why would they want to buy when they can rent a much better quality of house than they could ever buy?
We have French friends who live in beautiful period houses (100 - 150 years old) and have done so for many years and we have French friends who live in modern houses (€4000 per sq metre).
The French generally want modern high quality houses - perhaps bespoke built - with modern facilities and not a cold stone cottage in the middle-of-nowhere.
The French are fascinated by size - what size is this room - how many sq metres? Therefore the price per sq metre is foremost in their thoughts.
Locally, in a non-rural location the prices of new-build flat are upward of €4000 per sq metre and they are selling.
They only was you will be able to assess the market is to get in there and start visiting the agents and properties.
Good luck
You forgot South Facing, it is normally the first question as they come through the door.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyrian
Good luck
This is all very true and these are the areas that people/expats should be investing in and believe me these locations will offer a far better quality of life in France than a old stone cottage in the middle of nowhere. And you will get your money back if you decide to move on.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
You forgot South Facing, it is normally the first question as they come through the door.
Agree
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been on this thread very recently and want to belatedly welcome touraine to the discussion. He (or she?) makes some excellent points, but, reading between the lines I think from the point of view of investing in french property, rather than that of the OP, who is looking for a small, quiet place (in Brittany) for a peaceful retirement.

One thing JWL should mull over it to forget any comparison between French agents and their UK counterparts as well as between notaries and UK solicitors.

In both cases their remit is very different.

Another point which may have been under-emphasized is the power of a cash purchase (which applies to JWL he says, as it did to me).

Anecdotes are rarely helpful, but here's one anyway. When we bought our soon-to-be retirement home in Normandy in 2007, we offered 15% below the asking price which was given tfc (including agent and notaire fees).

The agent immediately told us we were offering too much and suggest 20% below listing. Because this was a cash offer, the seller agreed without further discussion. This house was and is not even rural but in a small town of 3000 people and reasonably unproblematic unemployment levels.

Lastly, to endorse a point made by several posters, we've spent an estimated 30,000 euros on renovations / redecorations / landscaping etc over the intervening years but I am under absolutely no delusion that this has increased the value of the house by a sou.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
If you purchased a house between 2000 and 2007 you will be very lucky if you get back what you paid for it let alone any money invested into renovating it.
Ah but in 2007 you were getting €1.45 to the £ and your notional €200k house cost you £138k so to sell now and get your money back means an asking price of about €173k, another factor often overlooked by sellers.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 5:28 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Ah but in 2007 you were getting €1.45 to the £ and your notional €200k house cost you £138k so to sell now and get your money back means an asking price of about €173k, another factor often overlooked by sellers.
All part of the equation....
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've not been on this thread very recently and want to belatedly welcome touraine to the discussion. He (or she?) makes some excellent points, but, reading between the lines I think from the point of view of investing in french property, rather than that of the OP, who is looking for a small, quiet place (in Brittany) for a peaceful retirement.
Sorry that is not what I meant I will explain. I moved to France when I was 25 and started out in a rented 15 Sq metre flat in Paris. Over the last 15 years or so my French OH and I have started on the bottom of the property ladder and moved up like most normal people do. We have lived in many areas of France.

When I talk about invest, I mean as a family. If we move again (hope not) I will buy a house that I can easily sell and not lose/hopefully make money on. Every French family does the same I should imagine. I am not going to risk my kids future by buying a house that will be difficult to sell or renovate it beyond its market value.

Every house we buy requires a lot of work doing which (apart from the electrics) I do. It is our pleasure. Every house we have sold, we have made money on and it usually sells within a couple of weeks. What I am saying is the housing market is not all doom and gloom in France. There are some bargins out there.

I can sell my 'town' leafy stone cottage (it will sell in two weeks) and move 30 mins down the road and buy the same leafy stone cottage for half the price and it will no doubt come with an outbuilding/maison des amis that I could convert into a Gîte. Just like you see on UK TV. But, would I be able to easily sell it again if I needed to? Probably not. Will I lose money. Certainly.

Exparts moving to France don't understand the French property market and more importantly the social economics/trends of France and of course get themselves into a right mess. Nobody I know in France wants to retire in the middle of nowhere. Most people I know are selling their second houses/ski flats/beach appartments ect. They can't afford them. I spoke to a bloke who builds swimming pools (in town locations) and said to him that he must be suffering work wise because of the economy. He said that he has never been busier. What is happening is that people are selling their holiday homes in rural France and investing the money in their own home....i.e building a swimming pool.

Like I said, if you are moving to France buy a house in a 10-30 min radius of a good 'university' city otherwise you are taking a big gamble with your money. Always when buying a house ask yourself, who is my target market if I choose to sell. If the answer is 'another expat', then you are mad.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that is not what I meant I will explain. I moved to France when I was 25 and started out in a rented 15 Sq metre flat in Paris. Over the last 15 years or so my French OH and I have started on the bottom of the property ladder and moved up like most normal people do. We have lived in many areas of France.
Fair enough, but I'm not so sure that that's what "most normal" people in France do. Most "normal" french people rent while they are younger and then some inherit the family home at some point. They also don't move around several areas in France, as you have. (Except if they're more junior civil servants, but then they still rent).
Old Sep 12th 2014, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Fair enough, but I'm not so sure that that's what "most normal" people in France do. Most "normal" french people rent while they are younger and then some inherit the family home at some point. They also don't move around several areas in France, as you have. (Except if they're more junior civil servants, but then they still rent).
There is a certain amount of truth in what you say but everyone I know own their own houses. If French people did not buy houses then why are there estate agents and websites like seloger and le bon coin ?? A house here will go up for sale Week 1 and generally sell week 3. Expats are not buying them.

People certainly do move around for work. In 'real France' life is very much the same as the UK to be fair. Career, mortgages, kids and growing old.

Most expacts judge France from their rural hideaways (usually SW France) and think nothing works, supermarkets are rubbish etc ect ect. People will be surprised learn that 'reality France' is completely different, fully functional and offers a far better quality of life than being stuck up a hill in the middle of nowhere watching sky telly. Rural France is for holidays not to live and certainly not to buy houses in....unless of course you grew up there and have a proper job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.