Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying property in France

Buying property in France

Old Mar 6th 2018, 2:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to France FAQ's

Another French quirk is a purchase "en tontine".

https://www.notaires.fr/fr/lachat-en-tontine
and other official sites, explain the advantages, but also the drawbacks.
It would suit a couple or several parties more or less of the same age, provided no children are involved. Namely, since the last surviving party "inherits" the property as if the others had had no share at all in it, children of the deceased parties would have no claim at all to their parents' former share.
Like the viager, the tontine is fairly uncommon and should be discussed in depth with the Notaire....
Old Mar 7th 2018, 11:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Buying property in France

A post & thread from Cyrian re

France Notaires

added to this thread for info.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:59 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Another French quirk is a purchase "en tontine".

https://www.notaires.fr/fr/lachat-en-tontine
and other official sites, explain the advantages, but also the drawbacks.
It would suit a couple or several parties more or less of the same age, provided no children are involved. Namely, since the last surviving party "inherits" the property as if the others had had no share at all in it, children of the deceased parties would have no claim at all to their parents' former share.
Like the viager, the tontine is fairly uncommon and should be discussed in depth with the Notaire....
Can speak from experience here since we built ''en tontine''.
So, when my husband passed away, all I had to do is put the house in my name (cost about 10.000 E if I remember well). Then I made a will leaving my husbands half to his 2 boys (men by now) and the other half to my family.
The big big big disadvantage is that these 2 boys will have to pay 60 % inheritance tax ....
Spoke to my notaire about this, and all I can do is sell the house and put half of the money in the UK where I have a will leaving all UK investments to the 2 boys .....

In my view it is high time that France changes the inheritance laws so that newly composed families (half of France by now) don't have this problem !
Old Mar 10th 2018, 9:49 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
Can speak from experience here since we built ''en tontine''.
So, when my husband passed away, all I had to do is put the house in my name (cost about 10.000 E if I remember well). Then I made a will leaving my husbands half to his 2 boys (men by now) and the other half to my family.
The big big big disadvantage is that these 2 boys will have to pay 60 % inheritance tax ....
Spoke to my notaire about this, and all I can do is sell the house and put half of the money in the UK where I have a will leaving all UK investments to the 2 boys .....

In my view it is high time that France changes the inheritance laws so that newly composed families (half of France by now) don't have this problem !
But it's only a problem in the case of purchase en tontine! And I'm sorry that your Notaire didn't point this out at the time. French parents of newly composed families usually make legal arrangements so that the surviving spouse and all the respective children are protected when buying property.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 11:56 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
But it's only a problem in the case of purchase en tontine! And I'm sorry that your Notaire didn't point this out at the time. French parents of newly composed families usually make legal arrangements so that the surviving spouse and all the respective children are protected when buying property.
Yes, ok but in a lot of European countries steph children have the same legal statue (concerning this subject) as your own and in that regard France should follow suit I find.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 12:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Annetje
Yes, ok but in a lot of European countries steph children have the same legal statue (concerning this subject) as your own and in that regard France should follow suit I find.
As I said, another French quirk, like the 60% Taxe de Succession for non-relatives named in a Will.
Along the same lines, "partners" should get themselves legally bound before buying property jointly, as the surviving partner would be in the same position - 60% Taxe de Succession to pay if named in a Will, or no inheritance at all if the deceased dies intestate.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:04 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Originally Posted by dmu
As I said, another French quirk, like the 60% Taxe de Succession for non-relatives named in a Will.
Along the same lines, "partners" should get themselves legally bound before buying property jointly, as the surviving partner would be in the same position - 60% Taxe de Succession to pay if named in a Will, or no inheritance at all if the deceased dies intestate.
La vie en France ....
Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property in France

"A quirk" ! Those horrid Frenchies have the cheek to do things differently !