Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying property in France

Buying property in France

Old Mar 16th 2016, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property in France

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I thought Textualhealing spoke french?

If so, then have an appointment with the notaire and ask them to go through the compromis de vente with you, explaining each point.

The notaire is not "your notaire" their job is to ensure that the sale is legal and that the taxes are collected. Our notaire was great at patiently explaining it all to us, not all are so good.
He does (I do) but only to a certain level. Your suggestion about getting a notaire to explain the contract sounds a good one- but I've also read that notaires are reluctant to do this as their poor English or misunderstandings may leave them open to later liabilities....
Old Mar 17th 2016, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
He does (I do) but only to a certain level. Your suggestion about getting a notaire to explain the contract sounds a good one- but I've also read that notaires are reluctant to do this as their poor English or misunderstandings may leave them open to later liabilities....
That's exactly why an intepreter would be a good idea
Old Mar 17th 2016, 8:20 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
All Notaires should explain the contract albeit in French but finding someone competent to give you an hour of their time shouldn't work out too expensive for both the signing dates. It will give you piece of mind and save on nasty surprises like being responsibly for repairing something and having to foot the whole bill.

Translators Pages Jaunes local to Hendaye Here and Here
Old Mar 17th 2016, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the correct procedure is, you all sit down round a desk, the notaire reads the contract out page by page and gives you and the seller chance to ask for clarification, then at the end you both initial the bottom corner of every single page to confirm that it has been read out to you and you accept it ('lu et approuvé'). If during the reading-out something comes up for discussion and you and the seller agree it needs altering, that page is taken out, his secretary makes the change it and prints off an amended page.
My contract had about 40 pages and I had writer's cramp by the time I got the keys.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I believe the correct procedure is, you all sit down round a desk, the notaire reads the contract out page by page and gives you and the seller chance to ask for clarification, then at the end you both initial the bottom corner of every single page to confirm that it has been read out to you and you accept it ('lu et approuvé'). If during the reading-out something comes up for discussion and you and the seller agree it needs altering, that page is taken out, his secretary makes the change it and prints off an amended page.
My contract had about 40 pages and I had writer's cramp by the time I got the keys.
+1
This is just about it. If TH wants to read through the Compromis before the signature date, he can ask the Notaire for an appointment beforehand, with an interpreter, and iron out any queries then. The good thing nowadays, when it comes to the final signature of the Acte, is that the initialled and signed Compromis comes up on a screen, the Notaire reads it through again and makes sure that all parties are in agreement, and everyone signs "electronically".
Just as important are the "Copropriété" clauses which the Notaire can check. TH should go to all the AGMs organised by the Syndic for his building, esp. to have his say on any maintenance and/or renovation works.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also a good notaire will make sure in advance that both parties are going to understand, so unless the notaire is happy to explain things in English he'll either want to satisfy himself that your French is up to it, or he'll expect you to bring sombody competent along with you. My seller (English) brought his teenage daughter and the notaire officially expressed doubts and made the seller state in so many words that he was confident in her abilities and didn't want an interpreter. In fact her French seemed fine but she was too young, you could see that she understood the words but not the legal concepts she was trying to translate. But there was nothing dodgy in the contract apart from DIY work with no guarantees, which was all covered in a special clause to protect him.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

^ Interestingly, in Germany,a translator must be present at the contract signing meeting if either party to the transaction doesn't have German as their first language.

When I sold our house there after 8 years in the country I had to cough up 200 DM to pay for the Dolmetscher who never spoke a word during the meeting (because my German was fluent by then).
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
That's exactly why an intepreter would be a good idea
I'm moving in that direction...
Old Mar 17th 2016, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
......Just as important are the "Copropriété" clauses which the Notaire can check. TH should go to all the AGMs organised by the Syndic for his building, esp. to have his say on any maintenance and/or renovation works.
I agree with what you're saying here DMU.
However, sitting in on official Copropriété meetings, and participating, is easier said than done - especially for anyone who is not fluent in French, or who has difficulty in following a conversation conducted at a normal French pace i.e. fast! And unless there were several English owners there, and the Syndic were used to slowing the pace, and repeating particular issues, I can't see that in general they would be too cooperative.
This is an interesting issue, and should perhaps be carefully considered by prospective property purchasers who may be having difficulty in choosing between an apartment or a house.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 17th 2016 at 5:13 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 5:42 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
However, sitting in on official Copropriété meetings, and participating, is easier said than done - especially for anyone who is not fluent in French, or who has difficulty in following a conversation conducted at a normal French pace i.e. fast! And unless there were several English owners there, and the Syndic were used to slowing the pace, and repeating particular issues, I can't see that in general they would be too cooperative.
This is an interesting issue, and should perhaps be carefully considered by prospective property purchasers who may be having difficulty in choosing between an apartment or a house.
... true, especially if the meeting takes place in a hall with awful acoustics!
.... We own an appartment that we rent out, and paid out a fortune last year, participating pro rata in a new façade, voted by a majority of owners (who admittedly do live on the spot).
Old Mar 17th 2016, 7:08 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
"electronically"
Nothing electronically signed at our last house purchase good ol on paper and a good dose of hand cramp at the end.

It all gets stored electronically at the end because the Impots "Taxman" have all the contracts for house sales scanned and stored within their system. As we had to query something and they showed us the acte final and how they had based the bill we had.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

SuzieB will become famous soon enough

Thanks chatter that was a sobering read from SuzieB about her neighbours from hell and the other guy with the (I guess) 'Pikeys' on the adjacent land. But bad neighbours aren't a specifically French problem, nor are they something you can defend yourself against in a contract.

Hi Textualhealing

Thought I'd add to your post to help you! please check the cadastre, something my partner didn't do. Also, if you're buying a flat in a 'coproprieté, keep a close eye on the accounts. That said, it's hard as you only have access to the accounts once a year. Managing agencies take the money and do nothing! Read my post again to avoid all the pitfalls. You can't check out the neighbours from the contract but you can ask locally about the neighbours. Bad neighbours are as you say not specifically a French problem but it's impossible to resolve the problems here. At least in UK the Environmental Health would have resolved our problem of the smoking van, dead rabbits, patio resembling a rubbish tip etc.
Hope your flat will be a happy home and problem free. Good Luck
Old Mar 17th 2016, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
tweed. It's not a choice. hendaye is a des res - population growth around 14% in 10 years. I want to be in walking distance of amenities and the beach. Ergo house (or even rez de chausse) are unaffordable. I'm getting quite good at tactfully telling French people when they are taking too fast for me to understand them.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Nothing electronically signed at our last house purchase good ol on paper and a good dose of hand cramp at the end.

It all gets stored electronically at the end because the Impots "Taxman" have all the contracts for house sales scanned and stored within their system. As we had to query something and they showed us the acte final and how they had based the bill we had.
We sold a piece of land last month, so maybe it's a recent innovation.
The hand cramp was for the Compromis de Vente several months beforehand!
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

SuzieB will become famous soon enough

Another thought, ask to see the dossier for the coproprieté. The present owner should have this and I read that you can ask to see this. If there are any problems you will find in the minutes of meetings or other docs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.