Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying property in France

Buying property in France

Old Mar 16th 2016, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property in France

'Standard contract'? Not sure what you've received but usually the compromis de vente is very specific to your property - it describes the property itself, number and size of rooms, any outbuildings, any recent work that's been carried out that should be under 10 year guarantee, any rights of way across the property. It usually includes a plan cadastral, and I think the obligatory energy reports or do they come later? I.e. it describes exactly what you are going to buy, and once you've signed it you have to buy it - so unless you understand exactly what you're being offered, don't sign! It's not just a formality, it's an important and very specific contract.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
'Standard contract'? Not sure what you've received but usually the compromis de vente is very specific to your property - it describes the property itself, number and size of rooms, any outbuildings, any recent work that's been carried out that should be under 10 year guarantee, any rights of way across the property. It usually includes a plan cadastral, and I think the obligatory energy reports or do they come later? I.e. it describes exactly what you are going to buy, and once you've signed it you have to buy it - so unless you understand exactly what you're being offered, don't sign! It's not just a formality, it's an important and very specific contract.
Tx ET!!
Old Mar 16th 2016, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on the property but things can come out of the woodwork - people buy a house and then discover hikers go tramping through the garden and it turns out there's a right of way they didn't know about, or they assume they own the access road but it turns out they don't, it belongs to the farmer and he can legitimately stop them using it if he wants, stuff like that. And if you've signed a document in which it's all explained, you have no comeback. If there's anything dodgy like that in it, you need to resolve it beforehand - for instance it might mean getting papers signed by the neighbours to agree that they won't block your access.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on the property but things can come out of the woodwork - people buy a house and then discover hikers go tramping through the garden and it turns out there's a right of way they didn't know about, or they assume they own the access road but it turns out they don't, it belongs to the farmer and he can legitimately stop them using it if he wants, stuff like that. And if you've signed a document in which it's all explained, you have no comeback. If there's anything dodgy like that in it, you need to resolve it beforehand - for instance it might mean getting papers signed by the neighbours to agree that they won't block your access.
Unlikely on a third floor flat!
Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh OK
but in that case if it's a shared building I'd have thought it would be maybe things like responsibility for structural repairs (eg how are the costs shared if the roof needs mending), access to and maintenance of communal areas etc, that you'd be looking out for.
Basically it's a case of making sure that you are getting everything you assume you will be getting, and that you are not agreeing to be responsible for something that you didn't expect to have to be responsible for.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:56 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
If it's a flat your buying I suggest you read this thread from beginning to end it gives an idea of how things can develop over time...

Last edited by Chatter Static; Mar 16th 2016 at 6:59 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Wise words indeed. I have been told it is a 'standard contract' and therefore copies must available on-line in French and English but I have been unable to find them. Am relucant to pay a (sworn) translator for several thousand words that (s)he can probably retrieve at the click of a button. If I could do that I would then search for all (any) clauses that were non standard.
Friend is a liberal professional and fluent.

Am networking like crazy over this one!
I'll stand by my suggestion, even if it's a 3rd floor flat.

It's quite likely that there'll be co-pro clauses & requirements in there, & if there aren't you'll need to read & review them in a separate document. A bilingual notaire may well be your best friend.

It may well be a 'standard' document, but what 'standard'? (Do you see where I'm going with this??)
Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shirtback
A bilingual notaire may well be your best friend.
Failing that, if you have to spend money on this I would hire an interpreter to go with you to signing at the notaire - then you can ask questions and get answers if necessary. A translation is all well and good as long as there's nothing you want to query.
However it sounds like you are dealing with an estate agent rather than direct with the immo. I know a lot of people do this, in fact I know some people get the compromis emailed to them and sign it and email it back without understanding a word of it, but the very notion of doing that would scare me. I dealt direct with the notaire and he explained everything very thoroughly, in fact at the end of the process I felt I'd learned a lot. I would feel uneasy about doing it any other way - after all the notaire is there to advise if required, and how can he if you don't talk to him.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Failing that, if you have to spend money on this I would hire an interpreter to go with you to signing at the notaire - then you can ask questions and get answers if necessary. A translation is all well and good as long as there's nothing you want to query.
However it sounds like you are dealing with an estate agent rather than direct with the immo. I know a lot of people do this, in fact I know some people get the compromis emailed to them and sign it and email it back without understanding a word of it, but the very notion of doing that would scare me. I dealt direct with the notaire and he explained everything very thoroughly, in fact at the end of the process I felt I'd learned a lot. I would feel uneasy about doing it any other way - after all the notaire is there to advise if required, and how can he if you don't talk to him.
Absolutely.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:26 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Textualhealing spoke french?

If so, then have an appointment with the notaire and ask them to go through the compromis de vente with you, explaining each point.

The notaire is not "your notaire" their job is to ensure that the sale is legal and that the taxes are collected. Our notaire was great at patiently explaining it all to us, not all are so good.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The notaire is not "your notaire" their job is to ensure that the sale is legal and that the taxes are collected. Our notaire was great at patiently explaining it all to us, not all are so good.
No doubt some are more forthcoming than others but they are all have an obligation to explain the legalities to both parties and ensure that everybody understands what they're signing.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
If it's a flat your buying I suggest you read this thread from beginning to end it gives an idea of how things can develop over time...
Thanks chatter that was a sobering read from SuzieB about her neighbours from hell and the other guy with the (I guess) 'Pikeys' on the adjacent land. But bad neighbours aren't a specifically French problem, nor are they something you can defend yourself against in a contract.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks chatter that was a sobering read from SuzieB about her neighbours from hell and the other guy with the (I guess) 'Pikeys' on the adjacent land. But bad neighbours aren't a specifically French problem, nor are they something you can defend yourself against in a contract.
quite.
We had neighbours that started out nice and then weren't. The issue? them using a trampoline at midnight, I complained (nicely) and asked them to stop. That was the end of the niceness on their part. I was really glad to leave them and their obnoxious brats behind.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'll stand by my suggestion, even if it's a 3rd floor flat.

It's quite likely that there'll be co-pro clauses & requirements in there, & if there aren't you'll need to read & review them in a separate document. A bilingual notaire may well be your best friend.
Shirtback - yes I am expecting that as a separate document in the coming days..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.