Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in France - seeking mortgage

Buying a house in France - seeking mortgage

Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house in France - seeking mortgage

[QUOTE=jllevans;12165265]

My main drivers are that it is better to pay into a mortgage every month than money to a landlord and also to get a place my Mum can settle long term without fear of being moved on (she has been a few times already and her health is worsening so it is a huge stress each time)
QUOTE]

If you buy an appartment (rather than a house, as you said that your mother is slightly disabled/vulnerable), you must also budget for the monthly appartment block charges (maintenance of building, gardens, possible concièrge services, etc....) which would otherwise be included in a rent.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to consider: getting "moved on" isn't really the norm in France, by law if you rent your main resident unfurnished there is a minimum rental period of 3 years and usually it keeps rolling over, tenants tend to stay put for decades. I suspect the problem may as you mentioned stem from the problem of proving an acceptable level of income. If you were to support her she could move into the more professional section of the rental market and be treated better.

You're right that paying rent is in a sense money down the drain. but there is also the fact that (re your other post) tenants paying rent get a better deal than owner-occupiers when it comes to things like housing benefit.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:53 am
Just Joined

jllevans is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks EuroTrash, I was not aware of this law / protection for tenants. The landlord where my Mother lives now has said he is selling the house and that she must leave in March, but he is not allowed to do this?
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, selling the property is one of the handful of cases when a landlord can give notice to a tenant. Has to be 6 months notice (and the tenant has to be given first refusal to buy the property).
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...vosdroits/F929