Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

British Food Delivered To France

British Food Delivered To France

Old Apr 16th 2017, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Food Delivered To France

Originally Posted by grannybunz
Why do you buy horse radish? Raifort is widely available in France and it is perfectly possible to make a lovely horse radish cream,

I am getting rather cross with this discussion it is actually all about the skill of cooking wherever you are as you want. If you do and can cook then it really doesn;t matter where you are.

If you haven't bothered to do it then for goodness sakes do'nt complain that you can't do things.

I am a born and bred North easterner. If I need stottie cake I make it but I have also lived in the West Indies then I can do that too, if I try hard, I cook Chinese and Indian and lots and lots of trad French especially Provencal.

If you really only want to eat the food of wherever then why in the heck did you choose to live in France? If you are French then yearn for scones then learn how to cook them.

Sorry if I need to don a tin hat but people fussing about food they can;t get makes me like this. You love food you love food and you know how to cook it.
I have some sympathy with this view, though I confess Marmite is something I won't give up - & don't have to either!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbi2
Intermarche locally sells marmite at over 9 euros a jar. Is this the dearest price in France? What a rip off I thought Hyper U was dear at 7.50 euros!
1890 Ft (just over 6 Euros) for 250 g jar here, worth every Forint!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

Love marmite but at 9 euros a jar I will wait until I go back to the UK! Great addition to a chilli con carne believe me. My chillis are amazing now thanks to hearing about the tip a few years back. A teaspoon added to a chilli is amazing!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

A 250g jar of Marmite lasts me about a month, on that basis I think that I have chomped my way through about 20 tons of the stuff! Here's to the next 10 tons!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Love marmite but at 9 euros a jar I will wait until I go back to the UK! Great addition to a chilli con carne believe me. My chillis are amazing now thanks to hearing about the tip a few years back. A teaspoon added to a chilli is amazing!
Great idea - might try it in Gyulas (Goulash) too!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Great idea - might try it in Gyulas (Goulash) too!
I am fine eating it in a chilli but on toast or in a sandwich I get awful indigestion! Love it so much I often have to deal with the indigestion rather than do without marmite.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite is absolutely essential on buttered home-made wholemeal bread with a poached egg on top
Old Apr 16th 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Marmite is absolutely essential on buttered home-made wholemeal bread with a poached egg on top
Eh? Thats just odd, sorry! Sounded nice until you said about an egg! We have chickens and I am all for using our girls eggs but with marmite? I draw the line there!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

Or with scramble! Or melted cheese! Or grilled tomatoes!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

I am fine eating it in a chilli but on toast or in a sandwich I get awful indigestion! Love it so much I often have to deal with the indigestion rather than do without marmite.
Now that is sad, but full marks for your dedication!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Countryreverie is an unknown quantity at this point

Well GrannyB, I think you're being a tad harsh here and may i say presumptious. I dare say most of the folk are here because they embrace the culture and the fantastic produce of the country but don't neccessarily want to wait for the cavalry to bring the supplies from the old country. Also there are some things that just won't substitute . I bake my own bread and cake but ,guess what, the flour isn't the same. I believe that french and british are different varieties . I 'm sure I read somewhere that french flour is european soft, and british flour is a north american variety and hard. That's why french bread goes stale quicker. I've tried the coarsest wholemeal but it ain't the same.
What surprises me most is the lack of "proper " cream. I'm amazed that it seems to have passed the french by. A country awash with milk and patisserie ! And please don't mention creme liquide or canned aerated (?) chantilly. If someone can point me in the direction of a double cream equivalent I'll be forever in your debt.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 7:28 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Countryreverie
Well GrannyB, I think you're being a tad harsh here and may i say presumptious. I dare say most of the folk are here because they embrace the culture and the fantastic produce of the country but don't neccessarily want to wait for the cavalry to bring the supplies from the old country. Also there are some things that just won't substitute . I bake my own bread and cake but ,guess what, the flour isn't the same. I believe that french and british are different varieties . I 'm sure I read somewhere that french flour is european soft, and british flour is a north american variety and hard. That's why french bread goes stale quicker. I've tried the coarsest wholemeal but it ain't the same.
What surprises me most is the lack of "proper " cream. I'm amazed that it seems to have passed the french by. A country awash with milk and patisserie ! And please don't mention creme liquide or canned aerated (?) chantilly. If someone can point me in the direction of a double cream equivalent I'll be forever in your debt.
https://www.elle-et-vire.com/fr/prod...e-de-normandie

Creme entiere semi épaisse

Personally I always go to the refrigerated section as not to get the uht version. If you get the non semi and only épaisse version it will be too thick.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:07 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Lidl....
has creme fraiche entiere 32% mat gras. It whips up beautifully like whipping cream in the UK. Chill first. It's the 32% fat that does it. Most are 30% or less in the french supermarkets

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/prod...fluide-milbona

Now that I live in the USA, I am involved with the french ex-pat community and they are always asking about finding french food here! Great excitement last week because Trader Joe's had cantal cheese

I'd love to get fromage frais or fromage blanc but it seems I will have to make my own! Some enterprising woman has written a little book telling french people where to find various food items or what good substitutes there are... she sells it for $10 a time and most french people seem to have it! Now there's an idea....

Grannybunz, not everyone has the time or inclination to make their own food and even when you do, it'snot like your favourite brand from home..
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Countryreverie is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice try but both of those are creme fraiche . The Elle et Vire is interesting if you look at the ingredients at the bottom of the page . I always thought it was just soured with lemon juice or something but it includes starch , pectin and a thickener , carrageenans ( which comes from sea-weed ). I lust after pure cream on my apple pie !
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:07 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Nice try but both of those are creme fraiche . The Elle et Vire is interesting if you look at the ingredients at the bottom of the page . I always thought it was just soured with lemon juice or something but it includes starch , pectin and a thickener , carrageenans ( which comes from sea-weed ). I lust after pure cream on my apple pie !
Home made no doubt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.