Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

British digital radio - will it work in France?

British digital radio - will it work in France?

Old Sep 29th 2007, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

timmins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British digital radio - will it work in France?

Getting close to the day of moving - 2 days - yikes! Does anyone know if a digital radio bought and working perfectly in the UK will work in France? I'm thinking it's digital therefore it should and don't expect to pick up british digital stations - only French. But it's heavy and I'd rather avoid taking it in my luggage if anyone has discovered for themselves that it won't work. Oh my technical innocense is startling!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

chucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant future
Default Re: British digital radio - will it work in France?

We would also like to know the answer to this question. We have a digital radio alarm which is virtually new. Any answers out there?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If the digital signal is in range it should pick it up, I can`t see any other problems, a radio is a radio where ever you travel.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

aa

Last edited by artemis; Oct 1st 2007 at 1:07 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

eclaire is on a distinguished road

I'm not much good at technical stuff but i'm sure it will pick up the French stations, not English. I assume they work the same as a normal radio just better quality?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

winos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Last I heard UK DAB transmitions were being encrypted to only be receivable (is that a word?) by UK DAB equipment will try to find out out if verse visa is the same.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

chucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant future

We had a caravan in North Wales and we were told that the area was not set up to recieve any digital transmissions at the moment although coming soon. Sounds a bit like being able to get Broadband, down to the area in which you live. I'm not very technical minded but these are my thoughts as cuckoo as they may be.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Our DABS radio here in Spain has not picked up any stations or broadcasts whatsoever in Spanish or English
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like a good thing that time won't matter come Jan. Being retirees we will not have much use for an alarm any more. Yipeeee!!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

hello Wino, receivable is a word . although its a little bit difficutl to type with a huge cream long-haired pedigree bundle sitting on the key
# board - HE typed the hash

Last edited by artemis; Oct 5th 2007 at 12:31 pm. Reason: cat got the keyboard!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

NiMRod_panic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have recently moved to France - in the charente maritime area. I too wondered whether my DAB radio would work so that i could listen to my fav british stations, but to my disappointment i have found that its not possible yet.

HOWEVER due to the wonders of french telecom (and orange fr for that matter) i found that since i had to buy an orange livebox to get my phone and internet activated, i now have wifi/wireless access in the home. This is excellent because i now can make use of this to connect my new "internet radio".

This site (its in english as well which helps when trying to understanding this kind of thing) http://www.aqwirelessaudio.com/store/fr/products/62/
sells internet radios which will work in France - which i never realised existed until i bought one (the truely excellent sounding pinnacle soundbridge).

To give other people an idea (i was THAT confused too but its pretty simple really ) - my soundbridge internet radio basically uses the telephones orange livebox (any wifi would do actually) to access the british DAB radio stations. It plays just as a normal radio, its got a radio alarm clock too so i can wake up to some seriously better music than is played here (anyone else finding french music surprisingly bad?) and the really funny thing is it will play the music off my pc as well (this is hilarious some days as i like to choose something that gets me out of bed in the morning - much to the dislike of my partner as she HATES heavy metal!! ha ha)

All in all, i think they are worth the initial outlay as for me "music was my first love, and it will be my last"....
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nimrod, your little system sounds fabulous and when I get on to the other computer I will cut and paste your post into word. It's amazing what you can do with all this new technology. I love it and use it a lot to teach, but I am sure I don#t know the half of it. I really must update myself
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

winos is an unknown quantity at this point

My answer was based on the assumption you were looking to receive French digital Radio.
English DAB transmition does not generally reach France. There may be a tiny area in the north that may scrape in but they have done their best to restrict reception to the UK only.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

timmins is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your replies. Now we're here I can confirm that my DAB doesn't pick up french digital channel. So it's just being used as a normal radio picking up FM and MW. Slightly struggling to find a music station I can bear for longer than 20 mins at the mo but sure it's helping me with my french so hurrah to that.

Have a good evening.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

So you can pick up stations in the UK thats brill, worth taking then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.