Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Bringing car to France

Bringing car to France

Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:27 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing car to France

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe

The answer of course is that they would request an increase in salary at having to be trained, and then use extra 'tools' to perform their job. The increased salaries for toll and car-park operators etc would in turn lead to Flamby imposing an additional net tax (see what I did there!), which would result in discontent, manifestations, and mass lynchings of anyone found driving a rhd vehicle.
That net tax sounds gross...
Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
That net tax sounds gross...
Touché....
Old Sep 12th 2014, 1:20 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Some wazzock in a Gibraltar plated RHD high end car nearly sideswiped us at the coast at the weekend, he decided to pull out left to go round a bus on a dual lane section without looking in his mirrors or looking to his left where we were sat in our car, In hindsight I wish I had let him hit our car it would have made for a very expensive insurance claim, but I have noticed a trend of expensive car drivers being off with the fairies.
I hate wazzocks.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 1:20 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

What's a wazzock...?
Old Sep 12th 2014, 4:14 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
What's a wazzock...?
It's a polite way of saying ******* and saves me circumnavigating the Forums built censoring system.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by touraine
Sell your car in the UK and buy a LHD in France. If you are living in France full time you really need a LHD car.
Get a LHD and be safe.
For once I agree with you. I can't for the life of me see any point whatsoever in keeping a RHD car in France unless it's say, an Austin Healey 3000, SS Jaguar or a Daimler Dart. Sell it in the UK and get an LHD over here, but try not to moan about how high the prices of second-hand cars are here on the continent.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peabrain
For once I agree with you. I can't for the life of me see any point whatsoever in keeping a RHD car in France unless it's say, an Austin Healey 3000, SS Jaguar or a Daimler Dart. Sell it in the UK and get an LHD over here, but try not to moan about how high the prices of second-hand cars are here on the continent.
I don't know either. When I moved in 2007 I was running a 1994 Rover, I brought it with me and put it on French plates and kept running it until earlier this year when the cambelt went. So that's 7 years motoring I got in France for next to no outlay, it never even had to go back for a retest on a CT though there were one or two advisories. Amazing little car it was, K series engine, went like brown stuff off a shovel.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Depends on how adaptable a driver you are, I have both and find no particular problems with the RHD.

As for nets at toll booths for RHD, what a ridiculous and self centred idea !
Old Sep 19th 2014, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
As for nets at toll booths for RHD, what a ridiculous and self centred idea !
When you get on the first péage section of the motorway heading west from Calais there is (or used to be) a lane with a Union Jack over it that I assumed meant that there would be a ticket machine for RHD cars, so I always headed for the Union Jack but I never did find an RHD ticket machine. Is there one, has anyone else ever found it?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:43 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
When you get on the first péage section of the motorway heading west from Calais there is (or used to be) a lane with a Union Jack over it that I assumed meant that there would be a ticket machine for RHD cars, so I always headed for the Union Jack but I never did find an RHD ticket machine. Is there one, has anyone else ever found it?
The union jack could have been there because UK bank cards never worked in the tolls, I honesty don't know if they do now mind.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
The union jack could have been there because UK bank cards never worked in the tolls, I honesty don't know if they do now mind.
Yes it could couldn't it - I never thought of that.
I'll file that away as another of life's little mysteries cleared up
Old Sep 19th 2014, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I have used that one but it was many years ago.
There was a machine for RHD cars - but that was the only one.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In that case maybe they took the machine away but left the flag! Cos I looked many a time and never spotted it.