Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Bringing car to France

Bringing car to France

Old Sep 11th 2014, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bringing car to France

I drive both RHD and LHD and I can assure you that I hold nobody up in either !.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute

I think the big point is that we are not English and the French are not French.....we are all Europeans but the French forget this.....everything should be an across the board thing.....cross referenced on the computers. Not likely to happen because the French resist change, as we all know. I asked the question once about going back to the UK to live and getting car insurance and was told no UK company would insure on the basis of no claims in France. Shocking !! So it is not just the French who are difficult. I despair sometimes of all the paperwork involved in getting a simple thing done.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
I drive both RHD and LHD and I can assure you that I hold nobody up in either !.
So lets say you are stuck behind a tractor pulling a trailer or an artic in your RHD on twisty but open French country roads and I am behind you in my LHD.

You can't see if its clear to overtake without dropping back and putting your neck out leaning across the passenger seat.

I am in a hurry. I can see its clear but I am waiting for you to make a decision. Do I overtake you and the artic and hope that you don't pull out or do I just wait ?????

If you are towing a caravan I start to cry.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 5:44 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touraine
So lets say you are stuck behind a tractor pulling a trailer or an artic in your RHD on twisty but open French country roads and I am behind you in my LHD.

You can't see if its clear to overtake without dropping back and putting your neck out leaning across the passenger seat.

I am in a hurry. I can see its clear but I am waiting for you to make a decision. Do I overtake you and the artic and hope that you don't pull out or do I just wait ?????

If you are towing a caravan I start to cry.
If there is a queue to overtake a tractor you should wait your turn, if you overtake a artic and a tractor and there is a good chance you will get sideswiped at speed because you will end up in a blind spot and if that is the point the arctic driver decides to pull out it will get messy.

Dont complain about the traffic if you are the traffic, Simples.

UK Highway Code

Large vehicles. Overtaking these is more difficult. You should

drop back
. This will increase your ability to see ahead and should allow the driver of the large vehicle to see you in their mirrors. Getting too close to large vehicles, including agricultural vehicles such as a tractor with a trailer or other fixed equipment, will obscure your view of the road ahead and there may be another slow-moving vehicle in front
make sure that you have enough room to complete your overtaking manoeuvre before committing yourself. It takes longer to pass a large vehicle. If in doubt do not overtake
not assume you can follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking a long vehicle. If a problem develops, they may abort overtaking and pull back in.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Sep 11th 2014 at 6:02 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The 6th EU directive on motor insurance (para 28) requires:

Any person wishing to take out a new motor insurance
contract with another insurer should be in a position to
justify his accident and claims record under the old
contract. The policyholder should have the right to
request at any time a statement concerning the claims,
or the absence of claims, involving the vehicle or vehicles
covered by the insurance contract at least during the
preceding five years of the contractual relationship. The
insurance undertaking, or any body which may have
been appointed by a Member State to provide
compulsory insurance or to supply such statements,
should provide this statement to the policyholder
within 15 days of the request

It does not stipulate what a new insurer must do with it !

touraine, you sound like the typical 'I'm in a hurry and sod everyone else' French driver although in your own mind you probably believe yourself to be the best driver on the road !
Old Sep 11th 2014, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er

touraine, you sound like the typical 'I'm in a hurry and sod everyone else' French driver although in your own mind you probably believe yourself to be the best driver on the road !
No, not at all. Driving bores me to death. Really. I prefer my MTB.

But, having driven a RHD in France when I first arrived here and a LHD in the UK (including trips to the peak district and Lake District) I will say with confidence that having the steering wheel on the right side is a lot safer. I can't see how anyone could disagree on that point.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:17 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touraine
No, not at all. Driving bores me to death. Really. I prefer my MTB.

But, having driven a RHD in France when I first arrived here and a LHD in the UK (including trips to the peak district and Lake District) I will say with confidence that having the steering wheel on the right side is a lot safer. I can't see how anyone could disagree on that point.
Personally I think it's down to the awareness of the driver...
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static

Quite right.
A good driver will drive in accordance with the conditions and the vehicle.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:04 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Watching drivers with the wheel 'on the wrong side' struggling to get the money into the car park machine upon exit is always worth a laugh..
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
Watching drivers with the wheel 'on the wrong side' struggling to get the money into the car park machine upon exit is always worth a laugh..
If I may be permitted, I have an amusing story in connection with that.

My 87 year old FIL who lives in Newcastle still insists on driving himself (alone) to the ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge and from there to Basse-Normandie every summer, in his RHD C5, quite a wide car.

He's getting to the point where he can't stretch across the car at the toll booths on the autoroutes along his way, so this year he (actually we) had the bright idea on putting the money in a long handled frying pan and offering it that way through left hand window.

This caused several toll booth attendants to succumb to uncontrollable mirth, especially when one time the paper money got caught in the wind and disappeared.

So we concocted plan B and substituted a child's fishing net on a pole for the frying pan.

Worked a treat.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 6:24 am
Quien no sabe

Some wazzock in a Gibraltar plated RHD high end car nearly sideswiped us at the coast at the weekend, he decided to pull out left to go round a bus on a dual lane section without looking in his mirrors or looking to his left where we were sat in our car, In hindsight I wish I had let him hit our car it would have made for a very expensive insurance claim, but I have noticed a trend of expensive car drivers being off with the fairies.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Sep 12th 2014 at 6:29 am.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy57 is an unknown quantity at this point

So what about if you're a new driver with a new car...?? How complicated will that be?
Old Sep 12th 2014, 11:29 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static

Maybe, but I think it has more to do with physics. If you're on the wrong side, you're on the wrong side. Awareness doesn't really help a lot when you can't see to overtake safely or pay your parking fee in less than 10 minutes.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 11:32 am
JWL
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If I may be permitted, I have an amusing story in connection with that.

My 87 year old FIL who lives in Newcastle still insists on driving himself (alone) to the ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge and from there to Basse-Normandie every summer, in his RHD C5, quite a wide car.

He's getting to the point where he can't stretch across the car at the toll booths on the autoroutes along his way, so this year he (actually we) had the bright idea on putting the money in a long handled frying pan and offering it that way through left hand window.

This caused several toll booth attendants to succumb to uncontrollable mirth, especially when one time the paper money got caught in the wind and disappeared.

So we concocted plan B and substituted a child's fishing net on a pole for the frying pan.

Worked a treat.
This is typical of France. Why don't THEY have nets at toll booths to collect from RHDs?
Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
This is typical of France. Why don't THEY have nets at toll booths to collect from RHDs?

The answer of course is that they would request an increase in salary at having to be trained, and then use extra 'tools' to perform their job. The increased salaries for toll and car-park operators etc would in turn lead to Flamby imposing an additional net tax (see what I did there!), which would result in discontent, manifestations, and mass lynchings of anyone found driving a rhd vehicle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.