Reload this Page >

Bringing car to France

Bringing car to France

Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

suppleberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing car to France

Hi,

Can anyone help me with the details of bringing a car to France. My car is only 2 years old so I'd prefer to bring it with me when I move over. I know I have to get a certificate of conformity and a tax form to re-register within a month of arrival but how do I manage the insurance ? My insurance co here will not cover me from the time I'm not longer resident in the UK but refuse to give me confirmation of the no claims bonus while the policy is still in force. How do I get french insurance cover before being resident there and how do I prove an NCB without confirmation of the amount from my UK insurer ?

Any ideas ?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing car to France

Originally Posted by suppleberry
Hi,

Can anyone help me with the details of bringing a car to France. My car is only 2 years old so I'd prefer to bring it with me when I move over. I know I have to get a certificate of conformity and a tax form to re-register within a month of arrival but how do I manage the insurance ? My insurance co here will not cover me from the time I'm not longer resident in the UK but refuse to give me confirmation of the no claims bonus while the policy is still in force. How do I get french insurance cover before being resident there and how do I prove an NCB without confirmation of the amount from my UK insurer ?

Any ideas ?
You will have problems trying to insure without proof of NCB i.e. it will cost lots more. I was quoted €1800 without and €350 with proof.
I think that you will have to come "on holiday" and then cancel your policy and get proof of NCB and get French insurance asap.
I used a renewal notice that stated I had full NCB

I had problems trying to use online sites in France because I had passed my test when I was 17 - their systems wouldn't accept that.
I used a small office that was an agent for a mutuelle insurance co and he worked hard to help me get insured at a reasonable price.
You could also change your UK insurance co to a pay monthly company which would trigger a NCB certificate and cancel the new UK insurance after a month.
Good luck
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

It's perfectly possible to organise French insurance while your car is still covered by the UK company and for it to take over over when you land in France.

When you cancel your UK insurance the company must give you a statement of NCB and most French insurers will give the relative discount based on that pending the written confirmation so really you do not have a problem.

The key is finding the French insure who will give you the biggest bonus against it because to earn the maximum 50% in France takes 13 years and no UK insurer is going to give you a statement like that !
Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks to both of you. I'll see what I can arrange from here now. I know about assurland as a comparison site but are there other insurers that aren't available through them ?
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The like of Assurland etc. will not be much use to you as a first timer and since you're probably going to be needing other insurances the best thing to do is find a broker local to you.

If you want to kick off with the car insurance though contact Nick Chubb at Asttral
Old Jun 12th 2014, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I'll give him a go
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
The like of Assurland etc. will not be much use to you as a first timer and since you're probably going to be needing other insurances the best thing to do is find a broker local to you.

If you want to kick off with the car insurance though contact Nick Chubb at Asttral
Second this approach, you can organise everything from the UK using Nick Chubb - and then once you are settled you can look at finding more competitive options before the annual renewal.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Chris2302 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have at least 3 years NCB proof from your current insurers you can get 50% discount. Without 3 years very expensive. I have just insured my Volvo S80 and as long as you intend to import the car within the time scale which is 3 months you can get your French Car Insurance. All on line. After a lot of searching I used AGENTS GENERALI the name of the lady was Marion. Very very professional and extremely helpful.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris2302
If you have at least 3 years NCB proof from your current insurers you can get 50% discount.
You have a good deal there Chris, my broker and I think most others insist on around 15 years of driving history, which I had to prove by producing consecutive renewal invitations or statements from previous insurers in the UK, before he would give me the full 50 per cent discount.

When I changed over I rang my UK insurer and they said no. The next day I rang again, got a different person, explained the situation and when she understood she agreed straight away and sent it,. So it may be worth the OP trying several times before he gives up, it can be done. Insurers do seem to have a general rule not to issue proof of NCB part way through the policy but I think that is to prevent fraud within the UK, hopefully if you can get past the switchboard and explain to a person with a brain that you genuinely need it, they will cooperate.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
You have a good deal there Chris, my broker and I think most others insist on around 15 years of driving history, which I had to prove by producing consecutive renewal invitations or statements from previous insurers in the UK, before he would give me the full 50 per cent discount.

When I changed over I rang my UK insurer and they said no. The next day I rang again, got a different person, explained the situation and when she understood she agreed straight away and sent it,. So it may be worth the OP trying several times before he gives up, it can be done. Insurers do seem to have a general rule not to issue proof of NCB part way through the policy but I think that is to prevent fraud within the UK, hopefully if you can get past the switchboard and explain to a person with a brain that you genuinely need it, they will cooperate.
I visited lots of companies with little response but I found a small agent who was really keen to get the business he was glad to accept a renewal notice that said "maximum NCB". Indeed he said that he would accept just a paper with the agent's stamp stating the NCB.
As you say, it is just your luck who you get on the day.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my VW polo over, insured with UK plates via the bank then when I changed it....no charge for COC as it was the first one issued, changed to French plates , easy as pie, and my insurance is now 27.00 euros a month including breakdown cover. Couldn't be easier, the bank accepted my NCB certificate.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

dagbaruch is an unknown quantity at this point

I have imported 5 cars, 1 van and a motorbike from the UK. At least you will not need a Certificate of conformity (as your vehicle is quite new). I have used AcommeAssure.com : assurances et mutuelles moins chères, conseils et devis gratuits to insure them, and have had no problems after getting the Carte Grises.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:21 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

If current insurance and NCB info is in a foreign non-European language what counts as proof of NCB?
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Sell your car in the UK and buy a LHD in France. If you are living in France full time you really need a LHD car.

Furthermore, getting stuck behind RHD cars that can't overtake is very annoying and people become impatient. The French are not very patient drivers.

Get a LHD and be safe.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:46 am
Just Joined

dagbaruch is an unknown quantity at this point

That question I cannot answer, as we have been here for nearly 20 years. What I can sayis that the Certificate of Conformity for an MG TF 2003 was in English, and for my BMW K100LT, that was in French. Both were accepted. I see no reason why the NCB should not be accepted (ours in 1987 was accepted in Germany, and that from Germany was accepted here in France when we arrived. Acommeassure are based in Brest (I think) so would be more likely to accept an English NCB then Insurers down here in the "deep south".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.