Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Best or worst find!

Best or worst find!

Old Dec 18th 2012, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

3 dog night is on a distinguished road
Default Best or worst find!

We've all got one thing in common that sticks out, "we've all bought or rented property here in france and im sure most of us found all kinds of stuff left behind for us to sort out some complete junk and some worth keeping.

Question.
Whats the best or worst find you found in your little paradise!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best or worst find!

One dead mouse!
The rest of the house was immaculate.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

One dead mouse, what a find,

The reason ive asked this question was after meeting a bloke at one of the dreaded brocantes, (the wife has sudden fits of going to half a dozen and then gets fed up)

I was standing in the middle of the space between the stalls and i must have been looking lost, the bloke heard my wife telling me not to disappear,
this bloke smiled and said his wife had told him much the same, it was then he said they'd bought an old bed with brass balls on each corner,
when they'd got it back to his workshop for cleaning up he noticed a loose sound in one of these brass balls after unscrewing it he found verious bits of jewelry and a bungle of old francs,
the jewelry was all gold and the stones "real" the value was 1600euro worth and the old bed cost them 60euro,
What a find,
My best find i was asked to buy that day at the brocante was what the french stall holder thought was a very very old antique frying pan "Still full of hard fat"
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 dog night
Question.
Whats the best or worst find you found in your little paradise!
The house we bought was packed with all sorts of junk (the previous owner had died and the beneficiaries had no interest in anything except the money).

However we found a typewritten unpublished manuscript of a semi-fictionalized, first hand account of the exploration of western equatorial Africa by french adventurers and colonists in the late 18th and early 19th century.

The OH retired last sumeer and has now almost completed the translation and annotation of the manuscript, which she hopes to get published.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

That sounds like something very worth while in these times of greed and give me give me world we all live in,
If you manage to get this published it will be worth a lot to those who want to know about those who tried to discover who knows what,

Good luck and i hope it all comes to pass.

PS,
ive been reading a thread ref an irland for sale (it was bought by john Lennon ) many years ago and its up for sale again but having had a lot done to it, ( google Inishturk beg irland)
I think you sound the sort of person who will find this thread very interesting,
if you go to page two there is a sound video of all thats gives you a more detailed view of all this island has to offer.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

we bought a house 2 years ago and so far have found 2 stashes of old docs/credit cards and passports etc plus a gun (doesnt seem to work) and bullets

we think he was a spy!!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
we bought a house 2 years ago and so far have found 2 stashes of old docs/credit cards and passports etc plus a gun (doesnt seem to work) and bullets

we think he was a spy!!
Hi dennerlymum,
Its funny you saying about finding a gun, the times ive seen guns for sale at these brocantes is just not true,
You'd think the law would be against guns/swords etc being sold with no paperwork etc.
But thanks for your input.

(is that guy with sun glasses and a dark hat, pulled up raincoat colour outside your house a friend)
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dennerlymum,
Its funny you saying about finding a gun, the times ive seen guns for sale at these brocantes is just not true,
You'd think the law would be against guns/swords etc being sold with no paperwork etc.
But thanks for your input.

(is that guy with sun glasses and a dark hat, pulled up raincoat colour outside your house a friend)
LOL
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

We found an old Chinese coin. It seems that Chinese coins are often left in houses for good luck. We bought the house from some Brits who had bought it from from French.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi jonkemp,
Has it worked? have you had any luck since buying the house?
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

We found the attic and basement packed with junk, extra rafters for the roof, enough times to re-tile a house etc ...

The cool find were some artisan iron bars which we cleaned up and used when added a couple of new windows.

Did also find a few bottles of 1980 Cotes du Rhone ... it was worse than vinegar but made for a cool photo
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

Hi jonkemp,
Has it worked? have you had any luck since buying the house?
Not really, earlier this year we had broken pipes in the bathroom and we have just heard from our friends who pop into the house from time to time to look after it that they can no longer open the front door!

Havig said all that, I love it there.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beigey
We found the attic and basement packed with junk, extra rafters for the roof, enough times to re-tile a house etc ...

The cool find were some artisan iron bars which we cleaned up and used when added a couple of new windows.

Did also find a few bottles of 1980 Cotes du Rhone ... it was worse than vinegar but made for a cool photo
Hi well at least you got something out of it all,
(should have had a raffle for the wine) the winner takes all

Nice to hear your reply
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonkemp
Not really, earlier this year we had broken pipes in the bathroom and we have just heard from our friends who pop into the house from time to time to look after it that they can no longer open the front door!

Havig said all that, I love it there.
ref your door "this is we're a big bum comes in handy