BBC iplayer

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of
Default BBC iplayer

The Beeb has made available a service called iplayer, whereby people can catch up on episodes of their fave series. Available on Internet via their website, iPod, iPhone, and now even on the Wii.

Sounded great when I heard about it, and then read the small print. Only available to people in the UK due to viewing rights:curse:. Am I to assume that this simply means that as we don't pay the TV Tax in the UK, we can't see British TV?

Oh well, the good news is that they are looking to launch an inernational version "soon". When soon is i HAVE NO IDEA! Watch this space.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC iplayer

Originally Posted by sdale100
The Beeb has made available a service called iplayer, whereby people can catch up on episodes of their fave series. Available on Internet via their website, iPod, iPhone, and now even on the Wii.

Sounded great when I heard about it, and then read the small print. Only available to people in the UK due to viewing rights:curse:. Am I to assume that this simply means that as we don't pay the TV Tax in the UK, we can't see British TV?

Oh well, the good news is that they are looking to launch an inernational version "soon". When soon is i HAVE NO IDEA! Watch this space.
You can download a program for your IP address which will give you a British proxy IP and therefore allow you to use iplayer
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:54 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Bit late with that one, but you can watch it via a good proxy server and the international version will be very limited. Falling the proxy server you can VPN to the UK and connect to it. What is good they have finally allowed OSX users to connect to it.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Bit late with that one, but you can watch it via a good proxy server and the international version will be very limited. Falling the proxy server you can VPN to the UK and connect to it. What is good they have finally allowed OSX users to connect to it.
Story of my life, always the last to know!! (La cinquieme roue d'l carette).

I'll have to look into getting a British IP. Where can I download the program (torrent?), and what's it called?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:21 pm

Story of my life, always the last to know!! (La cinquieme roue d'l carette).

I'll have to look into getting a British IP. Where can I download the program (torrent?), and what's it called?
You need to download iplayer then find a Proxy server which are free or use a VPN which will cost. But to be quite honest being in France why don't you just buy a Digital Free to Air Satellite box and watch it all on your TV.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

I supose that's not a bad idea, but all these peritel connections into the back of my TV (VHS, Home Cinema/DVD, Playstation, and Livebox, plus the occasional SVideo PC linkup), what harm would one more do?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

jambojim is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: BBC iplayer

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You can download a program for your IP address which will give you a British proxy IP and therefore allow you to use iplayer
Hi I am a british national now living in the US and was wondering what this above program was called?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambojim
Hi I am a british national now living in the US and was wondering what this above program was called?
just google proxy IP's and you'll see a lot of sites
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:21 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Here in France we get adverts on the bbc internet site - short clips for insurance etc that run before the news item is shown.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a TV here in France, and asides from the odd programme, I don't feel I'm missing anything. There are some free proxies out there, but the ones I've tried in the past, tend to link you via Vietnam or China, and the connection is slllllllloooooooowwwwwwwwww.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

After looking around at some of the forums on the web, it seems the general consensus is the free proxies are not safe, in that it opens ports on your computer which then leave it vulnerable to attacks by the so-called "generous" proxy provider.
I think I'll stick to the Satellite option.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:01 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy enough to do.

1. Make a note of your IP address, if you don't know it, use a site like http://whatismyipaddress.com/
2. Find a UK proxy IP address and port from a site like this (they do get updated regularly as proxy addresses don't usually last long) http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html
3. In Firefox, go to Tools, Options, Advanced, Settings. Check the box which says 'Manual Proxy Configuration and put in your proxy IP and port into the box underneath, HTTP proxy.

It is best to only use the proxy address when you are accessing the iPlayer site as you may be blocked from other sites using a proxy (I couldn't get onto BE for example).
Old May 9th 2008, 9:17 pm
See the BBC for Free

nirving is on a distinguished road

I have found a way to view the BBC iPlayer without having to set a proxy in your web browser. Been catching up with Eastenders this morning. I am not sure of the legalities of it all though.
Old May 9th 2008, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by nirving
I have found a way to view the BBC iPlayer without having to set a proxy in your web browser. Been catching up with Eastenders this morning. I am not sure of the legalities of it all though.
Tell us then?
Old May 10th 2008, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, come on, tell us all about it!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.