Arrived

Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived

Loy Loy I would get some hard quotes before actually registering the car. It might be better value to write it off. Our L/H drive Saab was no problem - a couple of hundred Euros I think. Our R/H drive Peugeot wound up costing about 1600. The headlights were close to 500. The certificate of conformity was 250. Getting the vehicle ready and through the Controle Technique (despite being only five years old and serviced regularly) cost another 600 and something. Then buying the plates etc.
The problem was it all came a bit at a time. Had I known in advance, I would have sold in the UK and bought a new L/H drive there and reregistered here

Last edited by bigglesworth; Jul 26th 2011 at 4:13 pm. Reason: Bloody IPads!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Ah, the show is already on the road.

The lights are being switched today, at 390 Euro. The Marie said our MOT should be ok for part of the procedure.

The problem is we don't want to sell it yet so we have no choice. We think it will cost about 800 - 1000 euro, and it's a 3 year old Golf so not a write off. Although it's the silliest choice to make, it's the only one we had for many reasons.

Freesat box arrived today just need a dish now
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:27 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

See the post I began on satellite reception; others have posted some good links that may help with dish positioning. Remember you need two coax to get best from Humax HDR. If you can place the dish where you don't have the climb on to a roof, so much the better. It's the LNB you need two conections from, may be worth sending for one as I recall in bricolage they were pricey.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cjm
See the post I began on satellite reception; others have posted some good links that may help with dish positioning. Remember you need two coax to get best from Humax HDR. If you can place the dish where you don't have the climb on to a roof, so much the better. It's the LNB you need two conections from, may be worth sending for one as I recall in bricolage they were pricey.

LNB?

When I can find a dish locally, I am planning putting it at low level. I thought I just ran a coax from that to the receiver/decoder/box (I'm not technical) I went on a web site that gave me the direction the dish needs to point. I guess I'll need a little machine of some sort to locate it perfectly.

I'll try and find your other thread. Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ok cjm, just read the thread.

My problem being, I've agreed with the landlord, begrudgingly, to have a small hole in the wall. I'm not sure he'll go for a hole big enough for two coax.

My idea was to have the dish on the wall at the end of the garden. Run all the cabling externally and put a small hole through the wall near the back of the tv to feed the coax into. Currently not to bothered about recording etc at the moment becasue we don't think we'll be here for long. Just want to watch the football really, and the kids channels.

Will this be ok with one coax?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:12 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

What make your decoder? With footie interest sounds like you may have a Sky box and are paying for the footie facility. The LNB is the bit of kit that sits on the end of the stalk coming out of the dish; it points back to the dish. As the posts said you need to align the dish and tweak the LNB (low noise block) for good signal and quality. You can get that read-out via your TV menu button; ought to be a satellite icon which will guide you.
Two coax via hole not much greater than one; hole max about 1cm, if you can do this on a mortar joint easier to patch when you leave (if house not rendered).
There is plenty of help for aligning on line as you have discovered; LNB is universal, so you could check UK prices and get one posted. Confirm single input is what you want. But, check local bricolage, if you have a Brico Depot by you it may be cheaper for the dish and all. I think posts have said need a 60cm dish minimum and you either mount it to the wall of the house, or get length of pipe (bit like scaffold); secure that and bolt dish to it. I have to climb on a single storey roof, which is not too bad, but if you can keep your feet planted, so much the better and it's quicker.
Or, you could roam a vide grenier; often satellite stuff and LNBs there, though not new there is a risk.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I asked my wife to check the local brico to see if they sell them and she's come back with one!!! The LNB only has one output which will do us for now, I'll get a double when we move. Just need to buy the cable and satellite finder now.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:29 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Try to align the dish without buying any more kit. Connect it all up and then seek to align the dish, do it slowly - you may need to shout at each other (as one is inside and one out). When you get a picture, you can then refine the position. I have never bought a satfinder, so no idea of cost. Could you borrow one do you think?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

ok, i'll give it a go.

I'll go back and get the cable and some waterproof tape.

thanks for all your help. It's all a lot clearer now
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:22 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Important you get the coax inner core wire and outer metalised sleeve separated when you attach to screw fit connector (apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs). Use brass fittings if possible. Use electrical tape to secure fitting and make watertight. Tape coax to secure in place at suitable points. Hopefully, you have screw fitting on TV end (decoder ought to have). If you have HDMI option to connect decoder to TV use this route, it will give you a better image. TV's now commonly come with this, but if not don't worry, use a Scart.
Again, there are sites with the satellites and the degrees you need. If you have, is it an old protractor from school (hope that what it was, it had flat bottom and half moon and it gave degrees; not my bag as numbers were alien to me ). This would give you a rough vertical alignment, I assume you can tackle N/S/E/W aspects.
Saw a bit of tuning kit via e-bay and it was £15.00.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:50 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjm
Important you get the coax inner core wire and outer metalised sleeve separated when you attach to screw fit connector (apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs). Use brass fittings if possible. Use electrical tape to secure fitting and make watertight. Tape coax to secure in place at suitable points. Hopefully, you have screw fitting on TV end (decoder ought to have). If you have HDMI option to connect decoder to TV use this route, it will give you a better image. TV's now commonly come with this, but if not don't worry, use a Scart.
Again, there are sites with the satellites and the degrees you need. If you have, is it an old protractor from school (hope that what it was, it had flat bottom and half moon and it gave degrees; not my bag as numbers were alien to me ). This would give you a rough vertical alignment, I assume you can tackle N/S/E/W aspects.
Saw a bit of tuning kit via e-bay and it was £15.00.
Most Satellite dishs come with the Vertical degrees marked on them so as long as the mounting pole is true then it's pretty straight forwards. Dish Pointer is pretty handy as you can work out what land marks to be aiming for as it works through Google Maps.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I forgot to reply to an earlier post, I got the Humax HD after it was recommended on here.

I've got HDMI so that's ok, went and bought all the clips etc last night, unfortunately before reading this so don't have brass. Nearly bought the coax but it was 18 euro for 50m, I'm sure I saw it on amazon for £8 for 100m, probably just dreamt that though.

We're away this weekend going to look at property about an hour south of Limoges. So I cant install it this weekend anyway.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Carte Vitale arrived today

family not on it
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 4:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loy loy
Carte Vitale arrived today

family not on it
You may get a separate one for them, Myself and the oh have separate cards and the children ended up on mine.

Or they could have just forgotten.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
You may get a separate one for them, Myself and the oh have separate cards and the children ended up on mine.

Or they could have just forgotten.
A friend called them for me. It's just not been done.

Need to go through the birth certificate translation etc all again

needed tonight I think. off to the local bar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.