Arrived

Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Arrived

We have finally arrived. It's a lovely village.

I have managed to set a bank account, going to see an accountant tomorrow about setting up a business and getting the Carte Vitalle.

The cost of living here is much greater than than the UK. Went to buy a smoke alarm from the Bricolage yesterday and the wanted 40 euro's!!!! This was unexpected, we thoughtit was similar on previous visits.

I'm to orange Thursday with our landlord to change the phone line/broadband over, hopefully will go without a hitch. Also he said we can change the services over online so we're doing that on Thursday too. Landlord has been really helpful, he's a friend of a friend.

We do have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

Pet insurance, we have tried the bank who have insured our contents but they don't do it. Is it unusual here? We have a cat.

I think we need to register our car too, within a month, but we were hoping to only keep it for 6 months or so, until we've bought a house, then get a LHD one. Seems a lot of expense to change it over and then change it back to sell.

We have no TV yet. I need to a Freesat box and dish. Anyone know any companies near Agen that can help?

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice
Default Re: Arrived

I went to see my rapacious Broker to insure my 2 pet dogs and surprisingly he told me it was a waste of money as the Insurers would hardly ever pay out and the whole thing was a con! Maybe just his opinion but I took his advice.
I know many English who live here but have kept their UK plates for 2 years or more. They somehow keep up to date with MOT and Insurance.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, do you mean health insurance for your cat? Ask at your local vets for that, we've never taken out any and luckily our dogs have always been healthy.
If you mean responsibility for damage caused by your cat, just have its presence mentioned in your house/civil liability insurance. Our dog injured another one once and its vets fees were reimbursed by our Assurance without problem.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I meant pet insurance if it was sick. But it appears, at wetwang said, a con or more like it's unusual here. I think we'll not bother. We just went to the vets and they were a bit baffled by us .

Just the car and TV to sort out. I've read a lot about them both on this forums previous threads though. The car insurance and tax and MOT all run out soon. Not really sure what to do.
The TV is also a problem because we are running out of DVD's to watch and the football season starts soon!! I'll talk to the landlord tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
It's done nothing but rain here for two days
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:25 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loy loy
We have finally arrived. It's a lovely village.

I have managed to set a bank account, going to see an accountant tomorrow about setting up a business and getting the Carte Vitalle.

The cost of living here is much greater than than the UK. Went to buy a smoke alarm from the Bricolage yesterday and the wanted 40 euro's!!!! This was unexpected, we thoughtit was similar on previous visits.

I'm to orange Thursday with our landlord to change the phone line/broadband over, hopefully will go without a hitch. Also he said we can change the services over online so we're doing that on Thursday too. Landlord has been really helpful, he's a friend of a friend.

We do have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

Pet insurance, we have tried the bank who have insured our contents but they don't do it. Is it unusual here? We have a cat.

I think we need to register our car too, within a month, but we were hoping to only keep it for 6 months or so, until we've bought a house, then get a LHD one. Seems a lot of expense to change it over and then change it back to sell.

We have no TV yet. I need to a Freesat box and dish. Anyone know any companies near Agen that can help?

Thanks
Welcome to France Get a Freesat Box from the UK mail order, If needed any French satellite installer could align the dish for you.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I meant pet insurance if it was sick. But it appears, at wetwang said, a con or more like it's unusual here. I think we'll not bother. We just went to the vets and they were a bit baffled by us .

Just the car and TV to sort out. I've read a lot about them both on this forums previous threads though. The car insurance and tax and MOT all run out soon. Not really sure what to do.
The TV is also a problem because we are running out of DVD's to watch and the football season starts soon!! I'll talk to the landlord tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
It's done nothing but rain here for two days
And according to the forecast for the SW it will likely continue into the weekend. At least we don't have snow..... yet, unlike in the Alps these last few days.
Regarding pet insurance my advise is don't bother. It's not common here but is available, albeit a bit of a rip-off. I read a very interesting article on this recently in a French consumer magazine. I'll try and dig it out and report back with more detailed info.

Regarding your car, imho a right-hand drive here is more trouble then it's worth. I once brought a UK vehicle onto the French register, but needless to say - never again!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 19th 2011 at 5:09 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

re cat insurance; it does exist but is very expensive so no one does it here;

However be aware that an op would be as expensive here as the uk; our cat ate some hair bobbles once and had to be operated at a cost of 500+ euros (4years ago)

Despite this we still dont have any....
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:12 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
And according to the forecast for the SW it will likely continue into the weekend. At least we don't have snow..... yet, unlike in the Alps these last few days.
Regarding pet insurance my advise is don't bother. It's not common here but is available, albeit a bit of a rip-off. I read a very interesting article on this recently in a French consumer magazine. I'll try and dig it out and report back with more detailed info.

Regarding your car, imho a right-hand drive here is more trouble then it's worth. I once brought a UK vehicle onto the French register, but needless to say - never again!

Getting a RHD car registered in France is a hassle, but not that difficult. Yes, some Brits seem to go on for years (truly) on a UK plate, but I am not sure how legal that is. It is common to go past the month registration factor. Some insurers will only offer a fresh windscreen sticker on a monthly basis until you get your 'carte gris', the registration document from the Prefecture. Then you can re-plate the car; this is easy, but the shop will ask for the carte gris (even for a new trailer).
You need your manufacturer's Certificate of Conformity, so may have to apply and there will be a charge, poss around £100. You need a Controle Technique (UK MoT), so may need to change headlights, but I know a VW owner who never modified the UK lights and has sailed through the CT several times. If your car if a European model, better still French, then try and get some second hand lights from a breaker; though they will not be cheap and a check on-line may get you new ones for a reasonable price. If you or hubby are handy you can fit them.
Yes, you can buy a LHD which has all this done, but the cost of second-hand in France is evil. An exact match for my wife's car, with twice the mileage, was €5,000 more than the Sterling equivalent. And, driving RHD is not a real problem; it makes you take care when you overtake on a single track road!!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all again.

I have just ordered the freesat box from Amazon, hopefully it will turn up soon. Just need to find a dish and someone to install it now!!

The car we are going to register even though we don't want to keep it that long. Basically the Insurance runs out in 4 weeks, as does the tax and MOT. So if we don't reregister we'll get arrested the next time we enter the UK. Our insurance company would only insure us for 5 weeks or something.

I have now set up a company so we are covered health wise, just need to save the brown pieces of paper until the carte vitale arrives, which could take 6 months. Bank are giving us a quote for the Mutuelle. Finding it easier to do everything through the bank at the moment. At least until our French improves.

(40% of salary for socials though )

Landlord changed all the edf, gdf and water into our name today. Tried to do orange but they were going to cut internet for 3 - 15 days to do it. Cant really do that because of work so I'm hoping landlord will keep it on in his name and I pay him.

And finally, I've been to the local golf club and on Wednesday afternoons my daughter can have golf lessons from 2.30 - 5.00 for 35 euro's for 3 months. Which is good, we thought she might have to stop those over here. I'm assuming there is no school on Wednesdays.

Think that's all I can update on so far.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:49 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all again.

I have just ordered the freesat box from Amazon, hopefully it will turn up soon. Just need to find a dish and someone to install it now!!

The car we are going to register even though we don't want to keep it that long. Basically the Insurance runs out in 4 weeks, as does the tax and MOT. So if we don't reregister we'll get arrested the next time we enter the UK. Our insurance company would only insure us for 5 weeks or something.

I have now set up a company so we are covered health wise, just need to save the brown pieces of paper until the carte vitale arrives, which could take 6 months. Bank are giving us a quote for the Mutuelle. Finding it easier to do everything through the bank at the moment. At least until our French improves.

(40% of salary for socials though )

Landlord changed all the edf, gdf and water into our name today. Tried to do orange but they were going to cut internet for 3 - 15 days to do it. Cant really do that because of work so I'm hoping landlord will keep it on in his name and I pay him.

And finally, I've been to the local golf club and on Wednesday afternoons my daughter can have golf lessons from 2.30 - 5.00 for 35 euro's for 3 months. Which is good, we thought she might have to stop those over here. I'm assuming there is no school on Wednesdays.

Think that's all I can update on so far.
The school week varies across France, There are a number of zones some of those zones operate a full Monday to Friday week. Someone here might know of a link to the zones map.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:12 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I have now set up a company so we are covered health wise.
I'm assuming there is no school on Wednesdays.
Thanks for the update, it's always good to hear how people are getting on!
For the benefit of others, what sort of company have you set up?
As Ka Ora! says, some schools have adopted different school weeks from the normal, but Wednesday afternoons are always free, even if there's school in the morning.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Embarrassingly i'm not sure of the company type. I'll let you know when the paper work comes through. The accountant listed a few possibilities off and then chose one. I don't think I pat tax for 5 years though. I'll repost when I know.

I like to update, I am also a member of a football forum so know whats it's like when people don't let you know how they get on with the questions they've posted.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

here the hours of schools vary from school to school.Many have no Wednesday school but others do Wednesday morning and then work shorter days in the week; you will have to check on your actual school to be certain; your mairie will also know
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:06 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
here the hours of schools vary from school to school.Many have no Wednesday school but others do Wednesday morning and then work shorter days in the week; you will have to check on your actual school to be certain; your mairie will also know
Feel sad, all my lot grown up. No little people. Jealous I am.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mine are no longer very little! Both will be in college from Sept and the eldest takes her brevet next summer! I miss the very young years a bit as the 'helpful' teenager stage can be a tad wearing at time; I am amazed at the depth of her knowledge...so much more than mine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.