Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone breaking a Transit van?

Anyone breaking a Transit van?

Old Feb 11th 2017, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone breaking a Transit van?

Is anyone breaking a Ford Transit van? 1991-1999 any model. I need a front axle thrust washer. It fits between the stub axle hex nut and the wheel bearing. It measures roughly 35mm O.D. x 6mm thick with an internally splined hole about 14mm I.D. I have tried all the online sources in UK and expat forums here. I don’t think Ford still have them, the only chance is someone breaking a van for spares. Oh, and I would need it posted to the Charente.
Thanks in advance
Old Feb 11th 2017, 12:19 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone breaking a Transit van?

Originally Posted by White Trash
Is anyone breaking a Ford Transit van? 1991-1999 any model. I need a front axle thrust washer. It fits between the stub axle hex nut and the wheel bearing. It measures roughly 35mm O.D. x 6mm thick with an internally splined hole about 14mm I.D. I have tried all the online sources in UK and expat forums here. I don’t think Ford still have them, the only chance is someone breaking a van for spares. Oh, and I would need it posted to the Charente.
Thanks in advance
Have you tried your local "casse"? Or this link which should find spare parts for all makes (if it's any help, rough translation for the part being "rondelle de butée pour essieu avant" and splined is "cannelé"):
https://www.francecasse.fr/
Old Feb 11th 2017, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

I thank you for your suggestion but my nearest breaker is nearly an hour's drive away and my French isn't good enough anyway. The last time I tried to purchase car parts in France they tried to rush me €185 + tax for a set of front brake pads that I could get on ebay for under £20.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 2:08 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

I thank you for your suggestion but my nearest breaker is nearly an hour's drive away and my French isn't good enough anyway. The last time I tried to purchase car parts in France they tried to rush me €185 + tax for a set of front brake pads that I could get on ebay for under £20.
Worst case scenario is to go to an "Atelier Mecanique Precision" with the old one and a replacement could be laser cut for not so much. The time to produce the CAD drawings wont be so cheap though.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Worst case scenario is to go to an "Atelier Mecanique Precision" with the old one and a replacement could be laser cut for not so much. The time to produce the CAD drawings wont be so cheap though.
And reproducing the internal spline will be a nightmare given it is worn almost completely smooth on my badly damaged sample.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
I assume its a UK Ford ?, either way go to your main agent with the full chassis number, it should only be a few euros at most, if you dont speak any French get a mate in the UK to get and post you one from a main agent.

PS take your drawing if you go a French main agent , it could save a lot of time and shrugging

Last edited by Rotor; Feb 11th 2017 at 6:36 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rotor
I assume its a UK Ford ?, either way go to your main agent with the full chassis number, it should only be a few euros at most, if you dont speak any French get a mate in the UK to get and post you one from a main agent.

PS take your drawing if you go a French main agent , it could save a lot of time and shrugging
A very sensible idea. I thank you, but Ford no longer stock this part for my 1999 van.
I have, however just received an email from a member of a van forum in UK who has promised to send me one on Monday.
Happy Day!
Old Feb 11th 2017, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

A very sensible idea. I thank you, but Ford no longer stock this part for my 1999 van.
I have, however just received an email from a member of a van forum in UK who has promised to send me one on Monday.
Happy Day!
Good , if that does not work put get the O.E part number and a Google search may bring one up , there will definitely be some somewhere
Old Feb 11th 2017, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

PS Is this what you are looking for ..
Axle repair kit right Ford Transit 1991-2000
Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks rotor but I've tried that one. That is exactly what I need but after selecting the item I was told that it was below their minimun order quantity. I then chose a couple of other items to bump up the total price and then had to give them full personal details before it would give me any hint what the shipping cost would be. But before that happened they announced that the part was not in stock but if I paid first they would order it.

Anyway there is a happy ending. A guy on another forum is sending me a secondhand one from Scotland.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

The guy in UK that had promised to send me one has disappeared so I am back to square one. Still need this part and my only Transport is off the road until I can get one.
Reward Name your price for this part, delivered to the Charente.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Just ring the company that has them,bank card in hand.👍
Old Feb 15th 2017, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

And what company would that be?
Old Feb 15th 2017, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

And what company would that be?
The one I posted you a link for.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

As I posted above
" Thanks rotor but I've tried that one. That is exactly what I need but after selecting the item I was told that it was below their minimun order quantity. I then chose a couple of other items to bump up the total price and then had to give them full personal details before it would give me any hint what the shipping cost would be. But before that happened they announced that the part was not in stock but if I paid first they would order it."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.